About Descent: Underground
Descent’s fast-paced, six-degrees-of-freedom combat made addicts of us all! Descent’s frenetic and pulse-pounding action were light-years ahead of its 1995 release date. Like us, many of you still share war stories of your epic network battles. You remember your heroic shots, your death-defying maneuvers, and matches ending with a narrow escape as the tunnel collapsed behind you.
Sadly, as consoles took over and PC games were pushed aside by publishers, great games like Descent were left to languish in obscurity. A whole generation of gamers grew up without Descent’s heart-pounding, non-stop action, robbed of the true 6DoF space adventure that is their birthright!
We’re bringing back 6DoF by blasting Descent into the 21st century with current-generation gaming technology. Descent: Underground is more than a graphics upgrade. Get ready for multiple types of customizable ships! Prepare for upgradable weapons and sensors with richly-detailed tech trees. Brace yourself for destructible voxel maps with new power-ups and mod tools to make your own maps and more!
2315: A Fading Earth
As populations grew and the environment took its revenge on mankind, Earth’s remaining governments bankrupted themselves with last-ditch efforts to save humanity. Deep space missions sailed into the void to seek new homes for our species. They never returned. Hope waned, and nations fell.
Too Little, Too Late
From the ashes, megacorporations emerged as the dominant power on Earth. With deep pockets and an insatiable desire for control, the new corporate-states sponsored ships and equipment for mining operations and signed mutually beneficial agreements to regulate the asteroid trade.
A Little (Un)healthy Competition
Freed from the bounds of government oversight, the megacorporations prospered, but even the seemingly boundless asteroid belt could not sate their greed. Within a few short years, open warfare erupted between the titans of industry, littering both Earth and Space with corpses.
Desperate to protect their investments, the great corporations formed alliances, signed treaties, and slowly, painfully developed rules to decide who could stake a claim. Of course, just like every other gold rush in history, there are those desperate enough to jump that claim. With a hundred million kilometers of vacuum between you and the mineral registry, all the fancy documents in the `Verse don’t amount to squat when the lasers start charging.
Meanwhile, Earth’s teeming multitudes crawl over the diseased ruins of their home world. The privileged few dwell in glistening fortresses, trapped in their gilded cages. Everyone else scrounges and scrapes through the rust and the dust for another day of existence.
From the grim necessity of asteroid mining, the megacorporations fashioned a new form of entertainment – the Underground Games. Distant struggles for resources became a source of hope, a point of pride, a new addiction for gamblers, a shared struggle championed by larger-than-life heroes fashioned from all-too-human flesh and blood. As one of those pilots, your life depends on your reputation, your value to your sponsors, and upon earning (and keeping) the adoration of millions back home.
Multi-player Combat in Six Degrees of Freedom
Pit your skills against other pilots as you battle for critical resources in the asteroids. Fly alongside allies of your corporation, and crush competing corps into bankruptcy.
Leader boards will be presented as a corporate ladder. Compete with other pilots in a variety of categories, including most kills, most ore harvested, most tunnels created, most missile kills, most completed missions, and more.
Create your own corporation with friends. Rally together and fight as a team. A corporation can craft a logo, company name, and a team color scheme for their ships. Corporations will be ranked and regularly compete in massive tournaments to win glory and riches.
Each map will have a goal and/or timer.
- Capture the Asteroid – Secure and defend five strategic beacons in the asteroid.
- Capture the Ore – Mine resources and ferry them to your harvester. The first to reach their mining quota wins.
- Deathmatch Destruction – Kill all your enemies' drones before they destroy yours.
- Mining for Minerals – Find and mine a special resource and return it to your harvester. But, watch out! If you drop the “ball,” your enemy will swoop in and snatch it away.
- And more!
Choose Your Role
Fight from a distance, slug it out up close and personal, provide repair and logistical support, or harvest and haul critical resources. Build and upgrade your drones. Set traps. Secure critical passages. Defend your team. Win the day!
- Six-Degrees-Of-Freedom Action – fly and fry foes while zipping in and out of the dizzying confines of asteroids
- Balanced First-Person Ship Combat and Resource Gathering – choose from eight unique ship types, each one showcasing a different play style
- A Twenty-First Century Update – Unreal Engine 4 , top-flight graphics, rich design, and a modern twist on Descent’s classic multiplayer modes
- Go Home a Hero – annihilate your opponents, gather desperately needed resources, bring home the bacon
Some need to be explored, others have Voxel walls through which you can tunnel, others have hidden areas that may contain power-ups and hidden ore. Tunnel through secret channels into enemy bases. Discover hidden pockets of rare and valuable resources. Set traps to ensnare enemy ships. Create your own maps.
Maps for Your Discerning Tastes
- Ice – Primarily frozen walls, some of which can be melted with lasers for tunneling.
- Lava – Bubbles of lava flare up from the molten walls and can obscure your vision or be used for concealment. But watch out! Your ship can suffer serious damage if you tangle with the lava.
- Rock – Standard asteroids, rock walls, rock tunnels, areas of complete darkness, crystalline formations can disrupt sensors and weaponry.
- Gas – Gases can be gathered as you fly but watch out! Some obscure your vision or damage your shields. Some are even explosive!
Secrets Never Stay Secret
- Hidden Tunnels – Dig to discover hidden routes to your enemies or secret rooms.
- Buried Resources – Mine to discover hidden treasures.
- Power-Ups – Keep an eagle eye out for power-ups, or unearth others hidden in the rock.
Choose Your Ship
All copies of Descent: Underground start with the WASP unlocked. Some pledge tiers unlock additional ships. All ships can be unlocked through game play.
- WASP – A well-rounded opponent formidable in many roles
- AUGER – A digging craft that can find hidden tunnels and secret chambers, and sniff out power-ups and advanced ores
- GOLIATH – A massive cargo hauler with the most hull space, a beast that will maximize the treasure hoard you bring back to the Harvester
- PREDATOR – A small, stealthy scout with increased speed designed to explore tunnels and look for ambushes – in combat, its long range weaponry allows it to snipe from a distance
- PANZER – A sturdy tank that can take punishment and dish it out – in combat, designed to get in and slug it out nose-to-nose
- TYPHOON – An assault fighter with better speed and advanced weapons. – the point of the spear
- SHAMAN – A medic for support and repair – don’t underestimate its combat abilities
- WARLOCK – An engineer designed to lay traps and build pathways for others
Pimp Your Ride
Your ship has three segments that can be swapped out for different visual appearances. Each segment has hard points that may be equipped with sensors, weapons, mining tools, and countermeasures.
- NOSE – Sensor Packages – design your custom nose art.
- FUSELAGE – Assault Platforms – build your perfect load-out.
- TAIL – Defensive Countermeasures – sport your company logo.
Mix and match segments to create your personal signature. Add custom colors and decals to carry your brand across the solar system.
Customize Your Loadout
- WEAPONS – Lasers, cannons, plasma, fusion, lightning, missiles – equip your ship with the best and smartest weaponry available.
- DETERRENTS – Lay traps and turrets, confuse pursuers with obscuring screens, smack enemies with EMP bursts – load up with an array of deployable defensive and offensive emplacements to pave your way to victory.
- SENSORS, DEFENSES, ENGINES – Every piece of equipment may be upgraded.