How to play original Descent

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

LotharBot

LotharBot
  • Advisory Board
  • 1,407 posts
  • United States

While we wait for Descent:Underground to come out, it's still possible to play Descent 1 and 2.  Here's how to do it:

1) Get a copy of Descent from your old floppy disks/CD/Hard Drive where you used to have Descent.

2) Install the latest retro mod for rebirth:

-- On Windows, run the Rebirth Installer .  On the screen that says "Select components", make sure to include Retro Mod and the mission packs (all under "downloadable content" -- these are separate for D1 and D2.)  To play, run d1x-rebirth-retro.exe or d2x-rebirth-retro.exe (there should be desktop shortcuts; if not you can run it directly from your D1 or D2 folder.)

-- On Mac, download Retro for D1 and Retro for D2 .  Extract these to your Descent folder (whichever folder has the Descent.hog and Descent.pig files.)  To play, run the Dxx_Retro_1.3 app in your Descent folder.

-- On Linux, compile from the source on github (you'll want to clone the repository and run scons on it, targeting the d1 retro 1.3 and d2 retro 1.3a builds.  I don't have any further details on how that's done.)

3) If you didn't already get the mission packs from the installer in step 2, download them packs for whichever game modes you want to play: D1 Rangers Anarchy, D1 Rangers Coop, D1 DCL 1v1, D2 Rangers Anarchy, D2 Rangers Coop, D2 DCL 1v1.  Extract the mission packs for whatever game mode you want to play to the "missions" folder inside of your Descent 1 or Descent 2 folder.

4) Join the same voice server as the people you want to play with.  For Descent Rangers, that's mumble on mumble.descentrangers.com port 31393.  For the unofficial Descendent Studios Teamspeak, it's at descendent.ts.nfoservers.com .

5) To host a multiplayer game, you need to have port 42424 (UDP) on your router forwarding to your computer.  (You do not need to do anything special to join, only to host.)  Pretty much every router has a way to do this, but they're all different -- usually in a section called "networking" there's a subsection called "port forwarding" or "virtual server" that allows you to do this.  You may also want to set up a static IP for your computer when you do this, so that your port forwarding rules will keep working even after a power outage.

Come play original Descent! Full version setup instructions or Shareware unzip-and-play
Voice chat on Descent Rangers Mumble server address mumble.descentrangers.com port 31393

A Future Pilot

A Future Pilot
  • Backer
  • 38 posts
  • United States

I'm the fella that created the Windows installer...if you encounter any issues with it, you can post here, and I'll sort it out ASAP :)

Rebirth/Retro Windows Installer Thread: http://descendentstu...irth-installer/

The Definitive Collection: http://www.gog.com/f...tive_collection

elfindreams

elfindreams
  • Game DeveloperDev
  • 424 posts
  • United States
x36
If for some reason you don't have login information for your router and your router happens to support uPnP (most consumer devices do, most corporate ones have it disabled for security), you can do the port forwarding using a utility like: http://www.xldevelop...net/upnpwiz.php or http://upnp-portmapp...ourceforge.net/

uPnP is a way of doing unauthenticated port forwarding from machines in the local network. It was created to facilitate things like online gaming using consoles and the like. From a purely security point of view, it is a nightmare land of insanity and I personally disable it on every firewall I ever deploy... however most people don't even know about it and it is enabled by default on 90+% of the consumer grade routers/firewalls/cable modems out there.

Unless I reply in moderator blue or developer orange, I am replying as a fan and not in any official capacity.
"At exactly which point do you start to realize that life without knowledge is death in disguise?" - Talib Kweli

dunkelza

dunkelza
  • Community ManagerCM
  • 2,777 posts
  • United States

Moved to Descent: Classic.

raptur

raptur
  • Underground
  • 485 posts
  • United States
x3
x3
x2

2) Install the latest retro mod for rebirth:

-- On Linux, compile from the source on github (you'll want to clone the repository and run scons on it, targeting the d1 retro 1.3 and d2 retro 1.3a builds.  I don't have any further details on how that's done.)

I think the easiest way to do this on linux is to checkout the relevant commits as local branches. You can see the commits by running "git log" inside the repository directory and looking at the commit names. The commit id for for 1.3 is f9a9ead37255d0ad872244a9b383ebccaf49b8a1 . Check it out as a new branch called release1.3 with:

$ git checkout -b release1.3 f9a9ead37255d0ad872244a9b383ebccaf49b8a1

to compile descent 1, change to the descent directory and compile:

$ cd d1/
$ scons

you can then run d1 with the retro tracker with:

$ ./d1x-rebirth -tracker_hostaddr retro-tracker.game-server.cc

(or put "-tracker_hostaddr retro-tracker.game-server.cc" in ~/.d1x-rebirth/d1x.ini)

repeat as appropriate in the d2/ directory to compile and run d2.

Sometimes people may want to play 1.3a or 1.4.X3. To compile these, first go back to the master branch:

$ git checkout master

and check out the appropriate commit:

$ git checkout -b release1.3a 959da99175f94311f212250e680f1dde9cdcc753

for 1.3a, or

$ git checkout -b release1.4.x3 9075f8f6a99ab93581d04b702a42591a85442228

for 1.4.x3

To recompile, cd to the appropriate directory, then clean with scons -c and recompile:

$ scons -c && scons

You can see your branches with

$ git branch
  master
  release1.3
  release1.3a
* release1.4.x3

and switch back to an existing branch (such as release1.3) with

$ git checkout release1.3

make sure to recompile after checking out the new branch ("scons -c && scons").

enerider

enerider
  • Backer
  • 137 posts
  • New Zealand (Aotearoa)
x2

As a further addition to the Linux section: for those who use "easy mode" Linux (So Ubuntu, Mint, etc) there could be packages available via the package manager of the distribution.

If you're wanting to change things so you can join in on the tournament matches, that could get more involved. But if you're just after an easy way to get the game running so you can romp through the single player / fire it up at a LAN party, then you could check out the package manager offerings.

Can confirm that rebirth lives in the Mint Software Manager, a search and a button click away. You will need to park the files where Rebirth can find them (usually there is a ReadMe which tells you the relevant information).

This isn't deriding the compilation option: Just realise not everyone is a programmer and command lines are an area of dragons and fire to some :P (I'm happy with either option - for now I'm using what is available via the package manager coupled with the needed files via Steam)

skuripanda

skuripanda
  • Backer
  • 553 posts

Hi guys,

I have some questions regarding setting up controls for Descent Rebirth, if anyone can help.

I have a HOTAS (Warthog joystick and Warthog throttle). I also have pedals with toe brakes.

What I'd like to do is:

Set up the throttle to work as FORWARD ONLY throttle (and have a button set up for reversing). Currently, throttle only works in Forward and Reverse (where the center position of the throttle is "0", pulling it back from the center is reversing and pushing it forward is going forward). This is a bit annoying with an analogue throttle because it doesn't have a center indent, so it's hard to pinpoint how to operate the thing effectively.

The game has "normal mode" and "flight sim" options in the Settings for the throttle, but selecting either doesn't change anything: throttle is always Back and Forward.

Also, I'd like to set up my pedals to work for yaw (or roll, haven't decided yet - as a flight sim pilot, it's more natural to use roll on the stick and yaw on the pedals). The game seems to recognize my pedals somewhat, it recognizes when I press the toe brakes (toe brakes are considered "Axis X" and "Axis Y", respectively). But when I want to set up the rudder, it's not recognized (Rudder axis is "RotZ"). Since roll (aka banking) can't be assigned to analogue axes individually (bank left, bank right), I can't put banking (roll) on the toe brakes of my pedals. So, the rudder is the only option, but that one isn't recognized.

If there is no way to do it in the game itself, is there a config file I can edit with the appropriate information?

Thanks in advance to the pros who might be able to help.

Unless I post in the official moderator blue, I'm just another fan posting my own thoughts, and my posts should not be taken as official in any capacity.

Posted Image

deftflux

deftflux
  • Backer
  • 147 posts
  • United States
What I'd like to do is:

Set up the throttle to work as FORWARD ONLY throttle (and have a button set up for reversing). Currently, throttle only works in Forward and Reverse (where the center position of the throttle is "0", pulling it back from the center is reversing and pushing it forward is going forward). This is a bit annoying with an analogue throttle because it doesn't have a center indent, so it's hard to pinpoint how to operate the thing effectively.

I just recently saw this and realized that you could accomplish what you want using a GlovePIE script.  Not the easiest thing in the world to set up, but it would work.  I wrote a doc on how to set up GlovePIE and the virtual joystick driver that it uses (PPJoy) here: https://github.com/d...ing-up-GlovePIE

So the idea is that GlovePIE can take the input from your throttle, do some mathematical manipulation to it, and map it to an axis on the virtual joystick that Descent can use.  First, you'd have to figure out which input your throttle is.  In GlovePIE, use a script like this:

debug = Joystick1.z

This sets the "debug" text whcih is displayed next to the Run button to whatever value is on the "z" input on the joystick.  I'm just taking a wild guess as to which input your throttle would be.  X and Y are typically the main joystick, so it might be Z.  You can also try "roll", "pitch", and "yaw".  When you have the right one, then you'll see the value shown change according to where your throttle is.

Once you know which input it is, your script would look like this:

PPJoy1.Analog0 = (Joystick1.z - 1) / 2

So what this does is takes a value that's between -1 and 1 and subtract 1 (which would be a value between -2 and 0) and then divide by 2 (giving a value between -1 and 0).  It's kind of counter-intuitive, but moving a joystick up typically goes negative, so Descent uses -1 for forward.  However, your throttle could be inverted.  In that case, you'd have to invert in the script before doing the other math, so it would look like this:

PPJoy1.Analog0 = (-Joystick1.z - 1) / 2

Finally, since Descent can read that axis directly, you'll probably have trouble assigning the virtual joystick axis in Descent, because Descent will see two different axes change at the same time.  So what I've been doing is use a "helper" script that lets you control the virtual joystick inputs using keyboard shortcuts to help me make the assignments in Descent.  (The one I wrote is here: https://github.com/d...dist/helper.pie)

But all you'd really need is a line like this:

PPJoy1.Analog0 = (Keyboard.Alt and Keyboard.One)

This will move the first analog axis of the virtual joystick when you press Alt-1, which my helper script does too.  Once it's assigned in Descent, switch back to your regular script, and the throttle should work the way you want it.

deftflux

deftflux
  • Backer
  • 147 posts
  • United States
Also, I'd like to set up my pedals to work for yaw (or roll, haven't decided yet - as a flight sim pilot, it's more natural to use roll on the stick and yaw on the pedals). The game seems to recognize my pedals somewhat, it recognizes when I press the toe brakes (toe brakes are considered "Axis X" and "Axis Y", respectively). But when I want to set up the rudder, it's not recognized (Rudder axis is "RotZ"). Since roll (aka banking) can't be assigned to analogue axes individually (bank left, bank right), I can't put banking (roll) on the toe brakes of my pedals. So, the rudder is the only option, but that one isn't recognized.

By the way, this is totally doable too in GlovePIE.  I'm doing something similar for the PS3 controller; I'm using L2 for forward and L1 for reverse.  Both buttons have analog components (being an analog trigger and pressure-sensitive button, respectively) so I use GlovePIE to combine them into one axis for Descent.  Let me know if you want any help setting this up.

A Future Pilot

A Future Pilot
  • Backer
  • 38 posts
  • United States

Hey Lothar, just wanted to point out that currently the installer has a pop-up that asks if you want to auto-check the default. If you select yes, then Retro and the missions packs will be selected for you and you can just click next :)

Rebirth/Retro Windows Installer Thread: http://descendentstu...irth-installer/

The Definitive Collection: http://www.gog.com/f...tive_collection

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users