Photo

Just saw that Revival Studio is shutting down.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Void Stalker

Void Stalker
  • ModeratorMod
  • 1,706 posts
  • United States
x2
And just like that.. Overload is no longer going to be updated or supported.

March 2019 Update
Posted by Revival Productions (Creator)
Hello Overload backers!

For some time, we've wanted to provide an update on Revival and Overload.  Some of us got busy and we kept waiting for the Xbox version to be done (which it finally is).  Here's the status.

We founded Revival and built a team to make Overload, not really planning to create a lasting company that would build more games.  We wanted to have fun creating a spiritual successor to Descent, and we're very happy with the results. 

We would have liked to do more with Overload -- more DLC drops (we will do another community DLC pack), new features, maybe a sequel.  Those things look very unlikely now.  We're gratified by Overload's strong user reviews and we love the community that has formed around the game. Nonetheless, sales have been disappointing and can't justify much additional work on the project.  (We know that people have questions about the long-term plan for multiplayer.  We're still figuring that out, but be assured we won't abandon our MP fans.  Whatever we do, there will be a way to play Overload multiplayer.)

We're still spending time on Overload, but most of us have moved on.  Roughly half the full-time team members are now working at Volition.  (Props to Chelsea and Ed who leveraged their Overload experience into Associate Producer positions!)  Luke is back to working full-steam at Radian Games. (Check out Scorcher, coming any day now!)  Matt is working on ideas for a new (game-related) project. Mike had planned on loafing for several months and then deciding what to do, but suddenly and unexpectedly found himself rejoining Volition as General Manager.

We are proud of Overload and have many fond memories.  The Kickstarter, which was as all-consuming as many had warned, was very satisfying in the end.  We both enjoyed being (slightly rusty) programmers for the first time in years, and it meant a lot to be part of such a talented team.  We were gratified by the community of both newcomers and Descent fans still committed a game we created over 20 years ago.  And it's particularly meaningful to see team members who got a career boost out of their work on Overload.

Maybe we'll do it again in another 20 years. 

Thanks for everything,

- Mike & Matt

-Tracy, Founder, The Tunnel Rats

"Just remember this - it is amazing what can be accomplished when no one cares who gets the credit." -Wingman

[font=arial]Note: Everything I post is as a fan of Descent: Underground except for official statements - which will be written in [/font][font=arial]Moderator Blue[/font][font=arial].[/font]

Wingman

Wingman
  • Game DeveloperDev
  • 2,044 posts
  • United States

They are good people, and this is exactly why we wanted to find a publisher -  IMHO, they suffered from a lack of marketing for a very good game. With all the games/noise on Steam these days if you don't get the front page, or have some marketing muscle behind you the odds are stacked against you.

We wish them all the best, and would love to work with them in the future......maybe bring back some of the old maps and ships....

WM

Nebthtet

Nebthtet
  • 4 posts
  • Poland

Damn, and I thought about buying Overload... Still it's really good of them to look for a solution for MP fans so I guess I'll buy the game anyway to show them support (and play a good title too :))

Wingman

Wingman
  • Game DeveloperDev
  • 2,044 posts
  • United States

Damn, and I thought about buying Overload... Still it's really good of them to look for a solution for MP fans so I guess I'll buy the game anyway to show them support (and play a good title too smile.png)

That is something we struggle with too, some folks would like ongoing monetization in a seasonal format, whereas, it might be best to release a server client and let the fans run servers.

Always a discussion between the folks footing the bill and the developers making the game.

WM

Yoshimitsu

Yoshimitsu
  • Backer
  • 215 posts
  • United States
x2

Some good news on that front, A couple of the community members from Overload, Arne and Roncli, have together created a both a way for users to create and host their own servers, and an extended group of Azure servers to allow for continued play if the official servers are discontinued. An official solution would of course be welcome, but in the meantime there's a working solution. These unofficial servers even support custom user-made maps!

I'd say that Wingman's assessment feels spot on. Overload didn't have a marketing budget.

Actively Excited for D:U

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users