Photo

Hard core, or Soft Core - What do you want Descent to be?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: Hard core or soft core (lol - like easier) (26 member(s) have cast votes)

What style of game would you like to see Desent (2019) being?

1. Hard Core - where you can get lost in the tunnels and have to figure puzzles and maps out on your own (19 votes [73.08%])

Percentage of vote: 73.08%

2. Soft Core - where you get lead to where you need to go to accomplish your goal (7 votes [26.92%])

Percentage of vote: 26.92%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Ecthelion93

Ecthelion93
  • 1 posts
  • United States

I appreciated how the first descent drew players into the game. The beginning levels were challenging, but simple. Then as one progressed the difficulty and complexity increased together. There weren't any crazy spikes of difference.

Then later descent games made the maps so convoluted that you needed the bot. I feel that I should be able to navigate a level by looking at the 3D map and understanding where I need to go. If I look at a map and am still confused...then the map is too complicated. There should be very obvious spots that I have or have not explored. 

It is not bad to be lost, but it is really bad to not have a goal.

So, overall keep it hardcore still. Don't pull punches, but the beginning has got to draw people in. 

"The Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen.”

Wingman

Wingman
  • Game DeveloperDev
  • 2,044 posts
  • United States

The first few levels are fairly easy and we have all sorts of indicators like wall icons, and power lines, as well as flares to help you with a bread crumb trail, but there is no guide bot, we want people to be challenged, and to feel a sense of accomplishment when something hard is presented to them.

This game will not be for everyone, it is for the players that want to be challenged and have that dogged nature to finish it.....to see it through.

And, we want folks to talk to each other and help each other in the maps - instead of doing that with AI.

WM

specialsymbol

specialsymbol
  • Backer
  • 21 posts
I don't know. Both I guess, like Monkey Island 2..
I like it when you get lost and have to figure out how to proceed.
i don't like infinite respawns of enemies.

Wingman

Wingman
  • Game DeveloperDev
  • 2,044 posts
  • United States

I don't know. Both I guess, like Monkey Island 2..
I like it when you get lost and have to figure out how to proceed.
i don't like infinite respawns of enemies.

No infinite respawns as long as you capture the Nanofactories....but you can get lost, and you need to use your flares/bread crumb trail to find your way around.

Some of our maps are HUGE !

WM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users