Photo

It's 2019!! NO NEWS!! Little Orbit is saying nothing also.

News Update release

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Blarney77

Blarney77
  • Backer
  • 31 posts
  • United States

Okay Guys... I have been tremendously patient.   No More "Get Excited" posts.  No more NEWS.  No more updates, ANYTHING!??  Shouldn't you be keeping BACKERS in the loop to know whats going on?  yes I realize I have been critical of your development for a long time, but that does not mean I don't have an interest.  I wanna see you guys do well too!  TWO Descents are better than one!  Still waiting for yours.  But even Little Orbit's description seems to be all about MP play.   NOTHING on YOUR website!

I see Little Orbit selling Pre-Release copies of Descent.  But there seems to be NO SUPPORT for the Backers that invested YEARS AGO!

Little Orbit redirects to gamersfirst.com which is not allowing me to make an account there.  No way to check anything.  No way to see whats going on.  Looking like we backers have been left in the dust??  Or maybe it;s just me?  Can ya toss a bone our way??

Thanks!

Blarney

dunkelza

dunkelza
  • Community ManagerCM
  • 3,007 posts
  • United States

Honestly, Blarney77, it's not out of a desire to keep you in the dark- it's about hours in the day. Formal announcements actually take a lot of time to write, review, edit, etc.. Even finding an hour for a dev play on Twitch has been a bridge too far.

Both we and LO are working through a huge pile of Jira tickets trying to get everything locked in for Gold Master. We've been working weekends too lately. Plus, as we get close to GM, the QA testers crank out more tickets trying to document every possible bug.

To say that we want this awesome game released as much as our backers do might be an understatement.

RocketMan

RocketMan
  • Backer
  • 32 posts
  • Australia

Can't wait.

Blarney77

Blarney77
  • Backer
  • 31 posts
  • United States

Thanks Dunk for the update!!  All most of us wanna see is occasionally something like that just to see if it;s going anywhere!  I would love to do testing as I have the time and wouldn't mind doing something to help along.  I have been watching.  I have been pretty patient.   Just a note once in a while is a great thing.  You know how rumors get going.  I usually ignore that crapola... but sometimes rumors have it right.  SO I look just to be sure.    Are you still going to have Steam support?  Or are you going away form that?  Just thinking I might wanna reinstall it.

Good Luck guys.  It appears you are doing some major changes to the game.  Will be interesting.   

dunkelza

dunkelza
  • Community ManagerCM
  • 3,007 posts
  • United States

Thanks, Blarney- Yes, to the best of my knowledge Steam is still part of the plan.

Wingman

Wingman
  • Game DeveloperDev
  • 2,054 posts
  • United States

We do owe everyone an update I think.

WM

NetSlut

NetSlut
  • Backer
  • 17 posts
  • United Kingdom

So the first two months of the year have passed, and not a word from you guys - it's been four months since the last.

A third of a year to be in crunch mode fixing JIRA tickets is too long, and your project planning skills - already shown to be incompetent after a three year delay - seem to warrant someone getting fired.

You need to make some time to update us backers who've already paid you.

I remember mailing you years ago to ask for a refund because you obviously couldn't deliver the game, and you persuaded me that things were close.

Obviously, that wasn't true and you were stalling for even more time, but these days, you don't even have the respect for us to try and lie or delay: you're just keeping quiet.

Wingman

Wingman
  • Game DeveloperDev
  • 2,054 posts
  • United States

The Strike team is helping to test the game right now - we might be open to expanding that a bit - could use a few more testing, TBH.

And for sure, we are NOT wanting to be quiet, it is the nature of the beast after signing with a publisher, they are responsible for marketing and messaging, if/when that changes we will come right out with an update.

WM

NetSlut

NetSlut
  • Backer
  • 17 posts
  • United Kingdom

[dev]

And for sure, we are NOT wanting to be quiet, it is the nature of the beast after signing with a publisher, they are responsible for marketing and messaging,

[/dev]

I'm afraid that's not true, Wingman; YOU are the ones I gave my Kickstarter money to, YOU are the only ones who are responsible for keeping me updated.

If YOU fail to uphold YOUR duties just because you signed a contract with someone else, it does NOT take away MY rights with YOU.

PyroJockey

PyroJockey
  • Backer
  • 1,339 posts
  • United States
x2

FYI,

Here's an update from the January 29th developers blog:

Descent Rolls Towards The Launch Pad!

There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish

noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow stuff up.
jgrs60.jpg

Note: Everything I post is as a fan of Descent: Underground except for off-color statements - which will be written in PyroJockey Plum.

NetSlut

NetSlut
  • Backer
  • 17 posts
  • United Kingdom

PyroJockey, that post covers exactly what I'd have hoped to receive as a backer; it's also fantastic news.

I have not seen the dev blog, as a KS backer; I only found this forum while searching for an update on the project.

I would strongly urge Wingman and Descendent Studios to release that post as an official update; it won't take long, and would be seriously welcome.

Honestly, why would you keep this quiet...?!

Void Stalker

Void Stalker
  • ModeratorMod
  • 1,707 posts
  • United States
x2

[dev]

The Strike team is helping to test the game right now - we might be open to expanding that a bit - could use a few more testing, TBH.

And for sure, we are NOT wanting to be quiet, it is the nature of the beast after signing with a publisher, they are responsible for marketing and messaging, if/when that changes we will come right out with an update.

WM

[/dev]

Im happy to help test if you like.

-Tracy, Founder, The Tunnel Rats

"Just remember this - it is amazing what can be accomplished when no one cares who gets the credit." -Wingman

[font=arial]Note: Everything I post is as a fan of Descent: Underground except for official statements - which will be written in [/font][font=arial]Moderator Blue[/font][font=arial].[/font]

defcon_x

defcon_x
  • Underground
  • 1,811 posts
  • United States
x4

Void Stalker would be a great addition to the Strike Team

LINUX OS: MINT 19.1 • DESKTOP: CINNAMON 2.X • CPU: i3 • RAM: 8GB • GPU: GTX960 • Thrustmaster T16000M • 

Running D:U at resolution 1920x1080 unless otherwise noted in reports

Wingman

Wingman
  • Game DeveloperDev
  • 2,054 posts
  • United States

Void Stalker would be a great addition to the Strike Team

He is already added. 

:)

WM

I. Pliskin

I. Pliskin
  • Backer
  • 39 posts
  • United States

Yeah, this is more than a little annoying to me..

It's been 4 years. There's no game, and all i have to show for my pledge, is a glorified beta on steam, that's not even got a store page anymore.

I come looking for an update, and i see there's now a publisher.. Ok, great.. I go look at their site, and gee....there's not a lot of info available, but what is there describes to me a game that is not what i backed 4 years ago..

I love Descent. I slept very little during the last days of the kickstarter campaign...i was always on the livechat, talking to everyone, i was excited, i shilled the hell out of the campaign to anyone who would listen....i held a $hit for 2 days as a publicity stunt.. I was really into this.. and i was stoked beyond description when the campaign ended, and we'd JUST made it....the game was going to happen..

But now, here we are, 4 years later... "disappointed" is such a woefully inadequate description of how i feel about this whole thing now.. "cheated" also doesn't quite do justice to how i feel..

It's starting to feel like Descent is still dead, and it's really not ever coming back.

Rags: lol, yeah. I've heard too many times now that we are not getting penis maps. I. Pliskin: lol, hey rags....if it's possible for players to make custom maps, you can rest assured that there will indeed be penis maps, lol I. Pliskin: it's kind of an unwritten rule...if mod tools exist for it, there will be penises

defcon_x

defcon_x
  • Underground
  • 1,811 posts
  • United States
x4

Yeah, this is more than a little annoying to me..

It's been 4 years. There's no game, and all i have to show for my pledge, is a glorified beta on steam, that's not even got a store page anymore.

I come looking for an update, and i see there's now a publisher.. Ok, great.. I go look at their site, and gee....there's not a lot of info available, but what is there describes to me a game that is not what i backed 4 years ago..

I love Descent. I slept very little during the last days of the kickstarter campaign...i was always on the livechat, talking to everyone, i was excited, i shilled the hell out of the campaign to anyone who would listen....i held a $hit for 2 days as a publicity stunt.. I was really into this.. and i was stoked beyond description when the campaign ended, and we'd JUST made it....the game was going to happen..

But now, here we are, 4 years later... "disappointed" is such a woefully inadequate description of how i feel about this whole thing now.. "cheated" also doesn't quite do justice to how i feel..

It's starting to feel like Descent is still dead, and it's really not ever coming back.

Well the new game is definitely different, but it's pretty close to Alpha, I'd say. There's not NO game. It's just hidden and being tested and yeah, that heroic budget was unfortunately not enough for the plans they had and how it panned out. Nevertheless they should be seriously credited for how much they've been pushing forward without pay. Without pay.

It's not the old Descent. It just isn't. There never will be another old Descent, and yeah that's sad. Man, I'm still bummed about when Descent 4 sort of flopped into Red Faction 1. It was the original creators that killed Descent. And that's because of publisher issues which do not need to be rehashed again.

It's actually a testament to the originals that even through that debacle something like this project could be made.

And yeah I sympathize with emotions around the Kickstarter. I think many people do. I think the Devs do as well since some of what happened during development was not in the plans. Like getting a programmer soooort of headhunted but in any case they left (which the team treated very magnanimously).

As a tester it's painful because I can see things that are so close to being ready for public testing but I can't talk about the details. There's a full single player game and they are doing everything in their power to now release it. However, if you have a tendency to imagine something and then find it's not what you imagined, don't give your hopes up. As far as I'm concerned they are in the process of really delivering what they promised and more. It's NOT going to be a sequel to the old school games. And yes that's a shame but it's an inspired reboot and it fits in the Descent universe awesomely. More lore-wise than game mechanics wise.

LINUX OS: MINT 19.1 • DESKTOP: CINNAMON 2.X • CPU: i3 • RAM: 8GB • GPU: GTX960 • Thrustmaster T16000M • 

Running D:U at resolution 1920x1080 unless otherwise noted in reports

halanj

halanj
  • Backer
  • 1 posts
  • United States

Could someone please point me to the correct link that has this projects regular updates?    This thread is now over a hundred days old and Wingman has said nothing 'cept, "not our job now that we're under a publisher"  That suxs hard.  angry.png

I. Pliskin

I. Pliskin
  • Backer
  • 39 posts
  • United States

Could someone please point me to the correct link that has this projects regular updates?    This thread is now over a hundred days old and Wingman has said nothing 'cept, "not our job now that we're under a publisher"  That suxs hard.  angry.png

I know, right?

Maybe i'm misinformed, but as i understand it, there isn't anywhere to go to get regular updates, because there are no regular updates, because the publisher doesn't seem to give a fifth of a fu*k about the people who made this project possible in the first place.

They are not beholden to us, so we're out of the loop...

If i'd pledged more than 50 bucks, i'd be seriously thinking about requesting a refund right now, because this shite is totally out of control now.

Rags: lol, yeah. I've heard too many times now that we are not getting penis maps. I. Pliskin: lol, hey rags....if it's possible for players to make custom maps, you can rest assured that there will indeed be penis maps, lol I. Pliskin: it's kind of an unwritten rule...if mod tools exist for it, there will be penises

Rags

Rags
  • 74 posts

Any updates? I kinda feel for those high level backers, being dumped after funding the dev's dreams. Only saw some random videos on youtube of the SP campaign... 

Who are still part of the dev team? I sense some burnout and it must be incredibly stressful for them. So good luck in what is hopefully the final stretch. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: News, Update, release

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users