Photo

Will Little Orbit be doing physical sales?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Hunter

Hunter
  • Backer
  • 111 posts
  • United Kingdom

I can't remember if the Kickstarter had a physical boxed option (?) but is there any plans or discussions for doing physical sales after release?

Milkman

Milkman
  • ModeratorMod
  • 357 posts
  • United States

Kickstarter did have a physical box option.  There was a discussion a while back about physical sales, but im unaware of the outcome of the discussion.

Posted Image
Its just me talking as me, unless written in Moderator Blue

Wingman

Wingman
  • Game DeveloperDev
  • 1,962 posts
  • United States

Yeah, we are sorting this out, we had always planned to do a special run for those that got the Boxed copies through the Kickstarter. I know that we are talking about physical copies, but that is a LO call.

The challenge for us in the brick and morter space is that our competition for shelf space is Red Dead, COD, BF5, Last of us 2, just major releases, so we have little chance of getting limited shelf space.

That is ok though as 80% of games sold these days are digital only.

So, long story short, we will figure out how to do that, whether it is a one off special edition or we do it through LO.

Thanks.

WM

PyroJockey

PyroJockey
  • Backer
  • 947 posts
  • United States
x2

Many of those "boxed" games are misleading, the disk only contains an install program, not the actual game files. The first thing it needs to do is download the content from the web. Boxed games from Valve for example (not surprising), but I do have their pretty boxes on my shelf.

There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish

noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow stuff up.
jgrs60.jpg

Note: Everything I post is as a fan of Descent: Underground except for off-color statements - which will be written in PyroJockey Plum.

Hunter

Hunter
  • Backer
  • 111 posts
  • United Kingdom

I guess I should have rephrased the question. Since Little Orbit is the publisher I imagine they have some degree of control over the publishing rights?

As an independent studio you could sell physical copies to interested parties.

I don't mean selling in stores. Since you are producing a boxed version, you will already have the template in place to produce the items.

If there is enough interest it could be possible to produce additional copies and sell them for people that didn't back to that level.

But if LO doesn't allow that, I can understand..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users