• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

defcon_x

defcon_x
  • Underground
  • 1,492 posts
  • United States
x4

So I was digging through some old albums and found some photos circa mid-1990s proving my stupid levels of interest in this video game series. Perhaps you've heard of it. Starts with "Desc" ends in "ent" ...

This is me at Christmas 1995 receiving the amazing Sidewinder 3D. (Woah, the hair do, sorry about that younger me.)

pics_1167_sm.jpg

I used to play the original game co-op with my old man and I used the throttle on this stick until I re-discovered the instantaneous "A" and "Z" for forward and reverse.

For cultural context, here is an ad for the famous joystick ripped from a Microsoft "Home" CD-ROM (the 90s was when Microsoft was in a full fledged invasion campaign of the home which, looking back now, is very funny when compared with the true power of Facebook and iPhones today).

But we laughed out loud when my partner stumbled on this grumpy mug.

pics_1214_sm.jpg

I really did not think we had pictures from this period of my life. During this cheesy religious "confirmation" at a church retreat many awkward teens like myself were encouraged to decorate some kind of sash with elements of our lives that represented ... Importance? Fuzzy feelings? Ambiguity? I don't remember. I do remember being reluctant to humor my parents with their Church activities and you can see it in my grimacing face next to my apparently proud father.

Among the images (whose special meaning I cannot fathom today) are: symbols of the religions of Christianity and Einsteinian science along with a small flat triangle, a blue heart, a stick person, a computer monitor, a book and some "HA HA" letters ... but what's this?

pics_1327_sm.jpg

The iconic insane mining robot from Descent ... made of green and red paper or felt of some kind? Yes. It is. Not only is it a fine escape from ordinary life, it seems the game series is related to a religious experience to a teenage Defcon X. LOL

What's next? A Descent tattoo? Or perhaps some sort of cult that worships the green mining robot?

LINUX OS: MINT 17.X • DESKTOP: CINNAMON 2.X • CPU: i3 • RAM: 8GB • GPU: GTX960 • Thrustmaster T16000M • HELP DE-BUG D:U!

pdxgeek

pdxgeek
  • 1 posts
  • United States

I believe the Sidewinder 3D Pro was the first stick to have a twist function. I ran a really obscure Gravis stick called the Gravis Phoenix initially, as I loved the slider on the left for throttle and slide left right movements. But the stick had a high failure rate and took up series real estate so I switched to the 3D Pro. One of my friends, Scoundrl as many know him, stuck with this stick and still does to this day I believe.

bc2f2f3b742419221549f8415e990d61.jpg

defcon_x

defcon_x
  • Underground
  • 1,492 posts
  • United States
x4

OMG Gravis — thank you for posting this. Reminds me of playing Commander Keen on Gravis Gamepad before I had the 3D pro ... and when I tried playing Descent with an awkward combo of Gravis Gamepad and keyboard, before switching back to keyboard-only.

That joystick is amazing. I remember seeing its grim industrial lines punctuated by "fun" buttons on store shelves. It actually looks just like the "big shoulder-pad" 90s future seen in scifi from that era. Mega Race, Descent, and Star Trek: Deep Space 9. Did Commander Sisko have this at his desk somewhere?

LINUX OS: MINT 17.X • DESKTOP: CINNAMON 2.X • CPU: i3 • RAM: 8GB • GPU: GTX960 • Thrustmaster T16000M • HELP DE-BUG D:U!

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi
  • Backer
  • 343 posts
  • Netherlands
x2

My Fandom is the heart of my Descent /Freespace Game Collection being the largest in the world of it's kind:
https://descendentst...ace-collection/

Every single game made, when it comes to Descent 1, 2, 3 & Freespace 1 & 2 and everything that has to go with those.
Games. books,, strategy guides, Miscellaneous items you name it, the works.

This+is+it+all+xD.jpg

theentirefreespacecoldki3x.jpg

spaceorb360displaypyr2ts53.jpg

PyroGX from Descent 2 Release painted in 1996:
Sveta+SMP+2004+1996+Pyro-GX+side+art.jpg

Hercules MK III, Vesudan Dreadnaught& Shivan Carrier from Freespace2 Painted in 1999:
Sveta+SMP+2004+1999+Freespace2+Art+side+

But yeah, as you can see we have Descent fandom of all sizes cool.png

Holder Of The World's Largest Descent / Freespace Collection:
Posted Image
Descent Is The Best Thing That Happened To You PC Since Floppy Drives!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users