4 replies to this topic

Swingarm1032

Swingarm1032
  • Backer
  • 374 posts
  • United States
x3

Hi, Everyone,

I am compiling a list of a few of the things I would like to see in the coming months after the release of the game, which mostly concern the DU Map Kit.  (I know that the Devs are really busy now so no worries :) - BTW good work as well!, I loved to see and hear the improvements over what we have now)  I also know that many of these things are planned as well but I want to iterate them as they would be important to me too.  Anyone is also welcome to comment also on these items, or list other things they want to see

The List:

• A full version map editor with abilities to be tested in game as well as UE4 Editor
  • Tutorials on how to do various level building sequences such as building a level in the editor, as well as blueprints/events
  • A setup location to buy, sell, and exchange levels that players have created as well.  

Elaboration on the above list:

1:  The level kit has been out for a long time, and is very limited in use.  I feel that at least more than a handful of players will want this as well soon.  I am still using the latest (v. 1.3) version of the map kit to design various things.  In addition, I have looked around for some interesting textures, I have found the Game Textures Website (www.gametextures.com) which has a wealth of good textures for use in games they require subscription which is not too expensive in my opinion.  I think that if there are not included textures in the final DU Level kit, that there should be a link to where we can obtain them as well. 

2:  Tutorials:  Depending on what is known by the user, there is likely a need for a set of tutorials on how to build a level and code the blueprints and events. For instance, I know pretty much all I need to know in the building phase where the environment is built (Basically the greybox part) I also know a lot about adding textures, I am starting to learn the basics of more detailed lighting (i got some hints in the streams where Wingman would show the SP levels in between matches; Thank you, Wingman!) however I need a lot of help on the blueprint/event sequencing parts.

3:  I recall some note of this in the future on the site and other places as well.  Maybe a general idea of pricing for levels and custom content will be good too.  I know that there are online resources for getting the player made levels on UE4, however a centralized location for Official maps and missions would be good too.

My Claws must need sharpening...

Jobode

Jobode
  • Underground
  • 318 posts
  • Germany
x2
x4

The List:

• A full version map editor with abilities to be tested in game as well as UE4 Editor
  • Tutorials on how to do various level building sequences such as building a level in the editor, as well as blueprints/events
  • A setup location to buy, sell, and exchange levels that players have created as well.  

I don't think it should be possible to buy or sell user maps. User maps should be free.

This also prevents the (unfortunately small) community of players from fragmentation even further.

Imagine you are setting up a match and nobody can join because they have to buy and download the card first.
Rather, there should be a database and a mechanism that automatically downloads the missing map when you join a match and don't have that map yet.

I think it would be extremely important for the game if the editor were released as soon as possible after the release. This would give the game a clear boost and increase the replayability.
The longer it takes to publish the editor, the more players the game loses

Swingarm1032

Swingarm1032
  • Backer
  • 374 posts
  • United States
x3

I don't think it should be possible to buy or sell user maps. User maps should be free.

This also prevents the (unfortunately small) community of players from fragmentation even further.

Imagine you are setting up a match and nobody can join because they have to buy and download the card first.
Rather, there should be a database and a mechanism that automatically downloads the missing map when you join a match and don't have that map yet.

Yeah... I guess you are right about that... I probably heard something and misinterpreted what I heard.  

I also think that the map resources should be readily available as well from the site.

Milkman

Milkman
  • ModeratorMod
  • 358 posts
  • United States

There had been talk in the past about a "hat store", without any better way to describe it (no actual hats), of user created cosmetic content.  Also maybe talk of user created maps in bundles to be purchased like DLC?  But that again was talk from long long ago like pre and early kickstarter days.  Im guessing those ideas are still in the desires for the future?  but i also agree that selling maps separate can be dangerous in splitting the party.  BUT some games do it as if the starter of the game has the map pack then anyone can join.  That would be a good compromise? 

Posted Image
Its just me talking as me, unless written in Moderator Blue

Swingarm1032

Swingarm1032
  • Backer
  • 374 posts
  • United States
x3

The "hat store" reference is likely what i was remembering.

I also understand the splitting of the party with selling user made content as well.

In the last few days I have been thinking about maybe (at the user's preference) utilizing a private donation site like Patron, It would work in the sense that if someone likes your maps, they could donate to your cause.  Since here users would have income for the maps as well, I think that selling them would not be necessary.

I do want to state that the interest of my map productions is primarily SP as well, and that I have again gone out and actually purchased some textures for my maps, I utilize the before mentioned site, and but a subscription plan is needed to download the textures.  Their lowest tier plan is not too expensive and allows for about 30 textures a month. I so far have been pretty satisfied with the textures as well.  

The note about the map pack could be good too.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Maps, Level Kit, Modding, DU Level Kit, Levels

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users