7 replies to this topic

inspades

inspades
  • Backer
  • 260 posts
  • United States
x4

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/255054960

This will be very stream-of-consiousness, need to run...

Want to see that mining laser physically affect what youre mining, just new sprites on the rock would be a start

make the energy indicator on your hud pulse when youre in a charge area. have another one appear beside if youre maxed to inform you of this

More VFX to show that youre beat up (staticy hud, cracked glass, etc...---look at HAWKEN with how they went about it)

needs VFX for impact of enemy weapons and a directional damage indicator (lurching of hud, shock of static) This is super important information to be giving to a player

Radar needs a dark background. It easily gets lost in the noise. Have it chirp once softly when a new enemy appears

Constantly beeping homers change the meta a little in that they give away your location when fired.
Can we have it so they only make that beeping when they have a lock on something?

Make the mega explosions a little less spritey somehow? it looks incomplete when it clips threw the wall

Hit indicator sounds? Like the new kill confirmed sound

Pudlez raised a great point about inadvertently siloing players from eachother who have different tech levels. It would help players around during thin periods to maybe have game with a "tech-limit" like in Command and Conquer, or have a range of allowed tech for that game? It would automatically down you tech level for that game.

dunkelza

dunkelza
  • Community ManagerCM
  • 2,857 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the feedback! I'm passing it on to folks.

defcon_x

defcon_x
  • Underground
  • 1,518 posts
  • United States
x4

I just saw this video and the same thing occurred to me, inspades. I must get to the forum and tell them everything! LOL

The new kill confirmed sound is awesome. It is such a relief and it is satisfying without being overdone. I love the new ships and new everything. It's a blast.

I am not sure about a radar chirp as inspades suggested but sure. If it's quiet or toggle-able. I am excited about the sound design they were talking about from you-know-who. In any case, the sound design is nice and I think it will just get better so if they decide on a radar chirp or other things like that I am sure it will all fit in. They seem to have great folks on that now.

At first I didn't understand the new missile trails that are smokey, but then I realized it was kind of like Overload's missile trails, except it looks kinda weirder and more unnatural somehow. Kind of like the new energy reminds me of 90s games where magic is involved. A result of Unreal Engine? Anyway, for me just a tiny dock against D:U if I am looking at it through the lens of "eye candy"-focused users. (I am only saying this in the interest of them. I personally love 90s effects).I like how the more smokey trails and explosions remind me of the original Descent more instead of Descent3 (Descent 3? Can never remember how they marketed that one ...)

I love the new fusion behavior and appearance, the new ship explosions, and I love love love the plasma. It looks very damaging and punishing. Yes. Right on with that. The only tiny critique I'd have is I like the old Fusion charging particle graphics but I love the new Fusion blobs and firing effect. But maybe we're not in that old 2016-era stage of D:U where all the little nitpicks even make sense anymore. I just really like the direction and I can't wait to get my hands on a new build of the game.

I didn't see the sprite-ness of the mega, though. I think the new Mega is completely awesome. Flawless. Even the way it disappears quickly seems kind of "futuristic" to me rather than cut-off.

The biggest "weird" thing for D:U for me right now is the punishing effect of firing laser 4s. It's so blinding that it is almost a horrible weapon to fire. To me the best and most ideal way to solve this would be ...

no, not reducing the glare.

until an upgrade.

Yes, an upgrade. Why? Because it gives you the sense the laser is frickin powerful and there is still another way you can improve it. Like a silencer on a gun or something (though not diminishing laser 4's power), so with an upgrade it makes the level 4 laser visually "quieter" and therefore more potent and dangerous in the hands of a skilled pilot. But before you get the upgrade you have the sense that level 4 laser is rightfully blinding and crazy strong.

LINUX OS: MINT 17.X • DESKTOP: CINNAMON 2.X • CPU: i3 • RAM: 8GB • GPU: GTX960 • Thrustmaster T16000M • PREPARE FOR DESCENT ...

inspades

inspades
  • Backer
  • 260 posts
  • United States
x4

More brain vomit:

While this was already touched on, it's worth bringing up again - Ships need to be readily identifiable. There are a lot of complex textures and geometry that make harder to distinguish a ship from the environment. Maybe the "Dorito" needs an upgrade. It can be hard to see at range, maybe something to the effect of https://youtu.be/4cNnNGaTU2w?t=3m34s. The dorito should not show for ships being "stealthy", like staying still to avoid detection,"added stealth tech", etc...

If a player pings on an enemy's radar, maybe have a brief flash of "radar scan" appear on their hud and the surfaces of their cockpit?

Can we maybe do away with the whole "Red 'vs Blue", and have the enemy team always IFFed as red?
We can replace red v blue with Corp_A vs Corp_B, so it would make sense.  Also, have their ships' "TRON stripes" also follow this, maybe even reskin the ships to be red like the current bots in production. This benefits the spectator since they can easily follow who is on what team

While we're at it, I like how coop bots tend to be really visible. I can even ID them them at range in skylab because the blob of red just pops out at you

Draft tri-team mode ("Keep-away" with lots of explosions)

• Each team has a spawn node they spawn from
  • It has a finite amount of energy            
  • It's constantly bleeding energy to stay running
  • So, it needs to be kept powered, or your team will be unable to spawn and get eliminated.
  • A power core spawns in one of a few places (as in, 2-4 places) near the middle of the map.
  • Players will be given a 10 second notice of where it will spawn before it enters play
  • The power core, once picked up, slows the carrier and pings him/her on the radar for all players, much like in miner mayhem
  • The power core is not a flat "+X energy for your team"
  • The core has a limited amount of energy.
  • If a team can keep possession of the core for a short period, they start to absorb the power core's energy for their team's spawn node.
  • Absorbing the core is not instant, the bearer needs a fair amount of time to completely absorb it.
  • The core doesn't take well to roughing around. It loses some charge every time it's bearer is killed
  • Once completely drained, The power core leaves play and new one will spawn.
  • Victory condition is to be the last team standing
  • Lose condition is your teams' spawn node is out of energy and there are no players alive
  • Though the chance is small, players with a drained spawn node can clutch and get their team back in the fight.
  • Defeated teams can choose to spectate or queue for another game
  • Nutshell version for a newcomer: Keep the power core away from the other teams to outlast them. Protect your team's core carriers.
  • maps using this game mode should be more of an arena-style, with shallow nooks at the edges for the spawn nodes with a rapid commute to the center of the level from there. Micro Tycho would be on OK fit for this
  • While we're at it, this is a nice idea for a standard team vs team mode. Mock it up using that format, and just throw another team into it when its holding together to get a feel. Micro Tycho should make it fairly easy to slap together with the mutliple areas at the edges

Wingman

Wingman
  • Game DeveloperDev
  • 1,965 posts
  • United States

I love this thread.

WM

inspades

inspades
  • Backer
  • 260 posts
  • United States
x4

Still more..

When the mega explodes, everything caught in it's radius needs to be flung backwards from the impact like an 18-wheeler smacked into it. To see ships just drift-over and play dead looks just...meh.

How about weapons being made more visible and identifiable on ships? It important to be able to know what your opponents and teamates have equiped, especially in anarchy-ish modes. Or, maybe theres another way to get this info accross, like have the dorito display what their active primary/secondary is?

A general, context-sensitive "use" key in place of having to switch through tools? It really breaks the disbelief to be fumbling around with switch keys, and the precious button real-estate can probably be better used on something else speaking of which........

A radial menu with quick communication barks, pings for your teamates ala League of Legends, and really nice-but-not used-a -lot stuff like dropping primaries/secondaries/gadets for teamates.

OG Pyro Jockey

OG Pyro Jockey
  • Backer
  • 71 posts
  • United States

As always, inspades - your suggestions are OUTSTANDING! 

Formerly known as simply "Pyro" back in the old Descent ][ (Kali) and ]I[ days (1996 through 2005).

If anyone on these forums have seen old Descent ][ or ]I[ players known as Zannox, Swiss (or Swissy), Perin, Malace, MrCottonmouth, Lordcastle, Duma, or Genghis Kahn, please let them know that I am looking for them (Underground Posted Image)

Thanks in advance!

inspades

inspades
  • Backer
  • 260 posts
  • United States
x4

Thanks. Im going off things other games did that felt rewarding or visceral. The more ideas we all thrown in, the better of a brainstorm the devs can use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users