VODs for tournaments

tournament esports vod video

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

LotBlind

LotBlind
  • 43 posts
  • Finland

I can't find any D:U tournaments by a Google search. I don't want this to be another game where there are tournaments in principle but the coverage is nonexistent. I don't think there's any easy-to-find casted tournaments for the other Descent games either so this would basically be the first time. In 2016 you said that you like the idea but that tournament support is a low priority for now. How is this shaping up?

If there will not be any investment into pro esports types of casting and whatnot by the developer/publisher, this should be made clear to the community, and I really hope knowledgeable players will step up to provide that for us small-timers. You don't have to be a brilliant orator to cast, just throwing in some insights here and there is enough...

inspades

inspades
  • Backer
  • 250 posts
  • United States
x4

+1

A casting-friendly spectator mode is essential.

Trying to cast duels with a predator is clumsy at best

dunkelza

dunkelza
  • Community ManagerCM
  • 2,772 posts
  • United States

eSports is definitely on our radar and we'd like to start having tournaments pretty within a few months after we ship. While we have a list internally of important features for that, it would be good to hear from you folks what sorts of things make tournaments awesome to you.

Aside from gazillion-dollar prizes... I don't have a gazillion dollars burning a hole in my pocket.

LotBlind

LotBlind
  • 43 posts
  • Finland

I've changed my mind: can we keep predator speccing instead? That looks hilarious biggrin.png Maybe a kill on the caster should be worth 2 points?

You don't need tons of money, just encourage and support volunteer community members: although if there's SOME money, that could go towards offering partnerships to those who really want to cast and admin, or generally create content, making sure lack of equipment doesn't stop it. Even just sending them assets like logos and music and keeping the comms open makes it that much more "authentic" and shows them you care (aaaawww...). I know Zaccubus and Epic made a deal like that with Zac creating frags-of-the-week style compilations (sending out stickers for first place), tutorials, and tournament coverage for Unreal Tournament.

Not having been able to keep up with the game outside the updates, I'm trying to find general notes of what features have made spectating better for me in other games:

- In any mode where an objective needs to be taken somewhere, the hud showing how close it is to its goal (e.g. both the flags in CTF) is great.

- There could be a multi-view mode that tones the graphics down just so casters can see at a glance which view they'd like to highlight. I don't know how this would look if it was in the main view the viewers see: maybe a two-screen setup would be ideal?

- X-ray vision toggle of course

- Accuracies/damage dealt and received/item control... I'm struggling to find anything more specific to this game.

EDIT: Wait, I do have one cool feature in mind. Make it show where all the frags happened (at and from) at the end of each match as glowing dots you can see through walls. I think players and specs alike will appreciate this to learn from their mistakes. Or is it pretty random in this game? Hmm...

Is there a ready-made plan for which team modes will be played in tournaments? Maybe you'll poll for that later on.

inspades

inspades
  • Backer
  • 250 posts
  • United States
x4

Worth a look. I dont know exactly how they got the spec view... maybe its a feature of dxx-rebirth or d2x-xl?

https://www.twitch.t...161247869?t=43s

Also, If it is not already on the short list of things to add, a replay system.

Even better would be if you can spec the replay, being able to switch between players and free-fly around, slow the speed to half to get a better look... not unlike what you see in your usual CS:GO or World of Tanks spectating

dunkelza

dunkelza
  • Community ManagerCM
  • 2,772 posts
  • United States

Worth a look. I dont know exactly how they got the spec view... maybe its a feature of dxx-rebirth or d2x-xl?

https://www.twitch.t...161247869?t=43s

Also, If it is not already on the short list of things to add, a replay system.

Even better would be if you can spec the replay, being able to switch between players and free-fly around, slow the speed to half to get a better look... not unlike what you see in your usual CS:GO or World of Tanks spectating

Interesting, I didn't know D1 could do that. It's a bit harder to do with the modern levels because of stacked floors and greebles, but we are exploring ways to spectate, both inside the map and overviews.

I have heard rumors that Epic is adding a replay system later this summer to UE4. IF that is true, me guess is that it will have to wait until post-release, since it takes quite a while to integrate new engine versions and test it for all platforms, but we'll see how it goes.

LotBlind

LotBlind
  • 43 posts
  • Finland

To be honest, I also wanted to suggest that kind of spectating from outside the map (with reduced graphics if need be), because I would have wanted to do that with some other games. Thanks dunkelza for linking that BTW!

PuDLeZ

PuDLeZ
  • Underground
  • 303 posts
  • United States

[dev]

Interesting, I didn't know D1 could do that...

[/dev]

It's not really D1, it's the retro mod that the community (believe it's mostly Roncli at the moment) is working on. They recently implemented shield info and they also have first person (what the player sees) and a third person (slightly behind the ship) views. Here's a recent video from Roncli where it shows all three views though the FPV is really short in this part of the video.

https://youtu.be/cPbPl8PU4js?t=5041

In a mine somewhere going pew pew pew and sometimes boom!

ad free 1080 vids at https://www.youtube....r/pudelz/videos

Twitch https://www.twitch.tv/pudlez

roncli

roncli
  • Underground
  • 156 posts
  • United States
x24

Me & Drakona have worked on it, yes. :)  I've done a lot of the UI work, and will be improving it for the next version.

It works because the walls are implemented in a way where they can only be seen from one direction, and the geometry in D1 is rather simple.  There are certain levels that are a pain to view (Crimson and June Bug come to mind), but that's resolved with D3 observer mode (see what the ship sees) and D3 byebyemonkey mode (follow behind the ship!).

-roncli    Twitch: roncli     Twitter: @roncli    YouTube: roncli     Battle.Net: roncli#1818     Homepage: roncli.com

Host on the Self-Destruct Sequence Podcast, a podcast all about Descent facebook.com/sdspodcast

Host on the Six Gaming Podcast, a podcast all about gaming, Saturdays 8pm PT/11pm ET facebook.com/SixGamingGG

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tournament, esports, vod, video

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users