• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

inspades

inspades
  • Backer
  • 239 posts
  • United States
x4

Not sure what state the systems surrounding tool selection and use are in with the internal build, but if it's anything like the prod build it should be reconsidered.

The switching of tools is very cumbersome. If Im mining as a shaman and want to switch to the shield-heal beam, i have to press my switch tool key a few times, wait...i overshot it. dang...ok, got it....dang, my team-mate died.

Some more keys to manage this with would be helpful, but we have button real-estate constraints imposed by a console-friendly control scheme.

So, why not make tools activate without your having to switch to them? In the previous example with the shaman, if sombody is wounded, you point your crosshair at them and hit your "general use" key. Your heal beam comes out and heals. You need to mine ore now? just point at a minable object and hit that same key again. Your mining laser activates without switching.

defcon_x

defcon_x
  • Underground
  • 1,481 posts
  • United States
x12
x4

Like Mario, A button does everything, B does every other thing.

This is brilliant.

We're not playing Freespace here with shield resource management. Everything is quick and dirty.

+1million to this suggestion or something like it.

LINUX OS: MINT 17.X • DESKTOP: CINNAMON 2.X • CPU: i3 • RAM: 8GB • GPU: GTX960 • Thrustmaster T16000M • HELP DE-BUG D:U!

inspades

inspades
  • Backer
  • 239 posts
  • United States
x4

The only hole in my statement is certian ship abilities like blast shield and spin attack. they don't have a context, but can be used anytime

This is opposed to, say, a mine-able rock. There is only one thing you would care to do with it

Perhaps the switch tool key can be replaced with a "use ship ability" key

defcon_x

defcon_x
  • Underground
  • 1,481 posts
  • United States
x12
x4

How about just toggle between "mine" and "ship ability" and "manufacture"

1. Tap "switch tool" key fast to switch between the two: mining laser / ship ability -- use "use tool" trigger to use selected

2. Hold "switch tool" key down longer to manufacture an item without switching from present selection, it just charges a manufacturing bar and takes a second or two to make whatever it is your ship poos

OR just shove mining laser into the primaries. You can always defend yourself with missiles when mining laser is activated. Is there any reason you would want a primary weapon and mining laser at the same time anyway? Just extra melee damage?

LINUX OS: MINT 17.X • DESKTOP: CINNAMON 2.X • CPU: i3 • RAM: 8GB • GPU: GTX960 • Thrustmaster T16000M • HELP DE-BUG D:U!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users