• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

inspades

inspades
  • Backer
  • 250 posts
  • United States
x4

So, hitting things in this game can be kind of tough, especially for players starting out.

So, why not a lead indicator?

https://youtu.be/CrACpNgnOoU?t=6m49s

If you center an opponent in the middle-ish area of your screen for a moment, it activates and aids you until the other guy is off screen for a period

defcon_x

defcon_x
  • Underground
  • 1,489 posts
  • United States
x4

This wouldn't be too much help, either. Because the real issue with aiming is the hitboxes that make each ship stand out from the others and make this game the easiest to hit others when you run right up to someone and ram them with weapons firing.

Your lead indicator and/or aim assist would not help with timing the regular automatic intervals between projectile releases (firing rates). And it wouldn't help in cases where the cannon mounts on each ship just won't hit from certain angles.

For example a wide cannon-to-cannon berth against a skinny Wasp.

On the other hand if it were strong enough, "bending" projectile directions immediately from the "hard points" or ends of the cannons would look weird, but it would shrink the difference between cannon points. (Imagine firing half sideways versus firing straight on).

Not to break out the hitbox discussion all over again.

But anyway so all this is to say I think it could be an interesting addition or upgrade but not sure it's worth skewing the rules and balances again for that.

I could be totally wrong. Everything can probably be implemented well.

I suspect that I would rather see thicker/larger projectiles (more chance of hitting) than an aim assist.

LINUX OS: MINT 17.X • DESKTOP: CINNAMON 2.X • CPU: i3 • RAM: 8GB • GPU: GTX960 • Thrustmaster T16000M • HELP DE-BUG D:U!

inspades

inspades
  • Backer
  • 250 posts
  • United States
x4

Not sure where I stand on the hitboxes. I feel like your idea from back when (where a drone with shields has a sphere hitbox, and a drone with no shields has just their mesh as the hitbox) should be given a shot in a playtest.....but getting back to it....

The game in the video, "Starsiege", had a similar gameplay issue to what we have now. Lots and lots of non-hitscan projectile weapons, and lots of squirmy moving targets (not well shown in the video, but good light-medium pilots in multiplayer were very tough to hit consistently).

I personally played a fair deal of this and if it weren't for that indicator, I wouldn't hit much. I know because if you run out of power for your vehicle(you can shoot your reactor dry), your hud shuts down along with the  lead indicator. It's tough to hit anything outside of point blank in that state. Also, a possible positive side effect would be that energy doesn't run out as fast as you won't take shots that your lead indicator shows to be way off the mark)

The wide-cannon placement is surely an issue. In that game, the projectiles would converge on your point of aim. We dont have that.

Also, Starsiege is free to play and download from HiRez Studios

Worth a try. It's a great game in it's own right. Or, at least you to get to try that lead indicator smile.png

dunkelza

dunkelza
  • Community ManagerCM
  • 2,777 posts
  • United States

Also, Starsiege is free to play and download from HiRez Studios

Worth a try. It's a great game in it's own right. Or, at least you to get to try that lead indicator smile.png

The sequel to its "sidequel" is probably my favorite humanoid FPS game ever.

inspades

inspades
  • Backer
  • 250 posts
  • United States
x4

Was never good at it, but man was tribes a ride!

Ascend is alright. Can do without the tacked-on progression, but alright.

Also, some vets of the community(* what I heard but too lazy to verify) are working on a tribes-like named "Midair"

https://www.playmidair.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users