Multiplayer strangeness?

Multiplayer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

autorotated

autorotated
  • 3 posts
  • United States

LOVE the game; very well done. I think it's a great evolution on the originals too. My compliments to the chefs.

Wondering if these things are normal for people playing multiplayer:

1. Almost never see a multiplayer game when browsing for one
  2. After starting a multiplayer game, can sit empty for... ever?
  3. When joining a multiplayer game, there's a long delay (10+ sec) before join completes. If co-op: 3-sec countdown begins almost immediately after I join, and major power-ups are already claimed
  4. After game is over, stats take several seconds to load
  5. Rare random massive stuttering (2-3 fps) interrupting otherwise-consistent 60 fps
  6. Rare random gameplay slowdown, and gameplay speed-up

Just looking to get into multiplayer and having some issues, which may be normal?

Thanks!

Here are some details which may be helpful for the above questions:

computer: Win7sp1x64, i7-3770K, 32gb ram, gtx1080 to 30"+24" screens, DirectX11, game on 7200rpm 4TB SATA, OS on SSD-SATA6

internet: Comcast fiber terms to coax in my closet, DOCSIS 3.0 modem on coax, AC1900-based router, 150/25 Mbit plan, gigabit wired ethernet

located: southeastern USA, 10ms 11-hop ping to 8.8.8.8, 73ms cross-country ping to ntp-01.caltech.edu

game control: keyboard only

game settings: detail jacked ALL the way up, 2560x1600 monitor - no VR

Milkman

Milkman
  • ModeratorMod
  • 357 posts
  • United States

1 & 2 are do to the low player numbers for the alpha?/early access version of the game.

3. Hmm... not sure whats happening there...  good news is the small advantage/disadvantage from that generally doesn't last long.

4. think thats normal at this time?

5 & 6 might be related to known bugs or graphical assets?  I would watch for any consistancy when it happens (yes i know its random) but did someone just shoot something... is it a certain type of door or wall your looking at, at the time. etc.

Not sure i helped much, but im sure other players and/or some Dev's will chime in.  Glad you enjoy the game!

Posted Image
Its just me talking as me, unless written in Moderator Blue

dunkelza

dunkelza
  • Community ManagerCM
  • 2,819 posts
  • United States

1 & 2 are do to the low player numbers for the alpha?/early access version of the game.

3. Hmm... not sure whats happening there...  good news is the small advantage/disadvantage from that generally doesn't last long.

4. think thats normal at this time?

5 & 6 might be related to known bugs or graphical assets?  I would watch for any consistancy when it happens (yes i know its random) but did someone just shoot something... is it a certain type of door or wall your looking at, at the time. etc.

Not sure i helped much, but im sure other players and/or some Dev's will chime in.  Glad you enjoy the game!

Yes, the current build on Production is in a pre-alpha state, so player counts tend to be lower except at certain times like noon EST on Friday.

Many of the systems and in-game assets are being reworked and polished to address issues like the ones you're experiencing.

This is actually a side benefit for PC players of porting a PC game like D:U to console- the performance fine-tuning required for consoles helps us improve performance across the board. For example by identifying places where art assets were built inefficiently. Just fixing wasted texture space can speed up the game a little bit and in some cases even make the asset look better. When you make little fixes like that to hundreds of assets, it adds up.

Groundhound

Groundhound
  • Underground
  • 242 posts
  • United States
x2
x2
x2

Welcome, autorotated! That's a monster rig you have there!

Most of the problems you've mentioned are due to the game's status as a pre-alpha. There is a lot of polish coming, as dunkelza mentioned. Descent: Underground is still in development, what we're playing right now should be thought of as the seed of what's to come. This also means that the developers are interested in feedback on the game as-is so that improvements can be targeted. It's a great opportunity to get involved early and help shape the game, but as you've mentioned, that's kinda hard to do when there are no multiplayer matches available.

Every Friday from 1100 to 1200 GMT-6, the developers host a weekly "Wingman's Hangar" game session. That's when the people behind the game get on and play with the fans. It's always a ton of fun, and they even livestream the games for those who can't play due to work. This event is listed on the official calendar, which you can find by hovering over the "Community" button at the top of this page and selecting "Calendar" from the drop-down list that appears. Here's a link to this Friday's calendar listing, which also has a link to the Twitch stream: https://descendentst...ar-on-twitchtv/

Another handy feature the developers implemented is a "Match Available" notifier on the forum's frontpage: https://descendentst....com/community/

When the "Match Available" indicator in the upper right lights up green, then there's a game running. Saves you the trouble of keeping the game loaded just to see if anyone's on.

Also, if you aren't already, be sure to sound off in the in-game chatroll to let people know when you're interested or hosting a match. The chat can even be accessed on this very website, at: https://descendentst...com/social/chat

Both the web chat and the game chat are linked to the same place. I'm also told that the chat is integrated with some form of evil wizardry known as "Discord", but I don't use that stuff m'self!

If the Friday "Wingman's Hangar" time doesn't work for you, mention a time that you can play in this thread. There's quite a few players out there who love this game, it's just tricky to get a good swarm on at the same time.

There's a lot of good stuff coming down the pipe for this game, and you're getting in ahead of the rush. By the way, are you really playing with keyboard only, no mouse input of any kind? If so, you're some kind of hotshot!

autorotated

autorotated
  • 3 posts
  • United States

Thanks all for the great info!  I didn't have most of that information, so your explanations were very helpful. It's actually an impressive list of things I didn't know:

• How adversely Early Access numbers effect the multiplayer environment.  Now I feel so lucky to have this access.  :)
  • Graphical assets can be very complicated, and create a much larger than expected performance hit
  • Pre-alpha is a thing. Blows my mind - like finding out being pregnant starts 2 weeks earlier than you think it does.
  • There's an official calendar.
  • Match Available is a thing.
  • Friday @ Noon EST there's an awesome game I had no idea about - and can't play because of work
  • D:U is being ported to consoles, which is awesome as hell and was exciting until I remembered that my PS4 doesn't have a keyboard

Yes my rig is serious, and I only use a keyboard with no mouse input. I like it, but would NOT RECOMMEND.  On the flip-side, I bet you don't have a keyboard-only pre-alpha beta-user yet! Hit me upppp.

I'll try a little harder to see you in the mines, and thanks again. :)

inspades

inspades
  • Backer
  • 259 posts
  • United States
x4

Some other good-to-knows:

You can keep tabs on game chat through the discord channel at https://discord.gg/0XkFhNvWST3A38IV

Other times people tend to be on are 1-3PM EST and 8-11PM and 3-6AM EST

Also, this game is being designed to be for all controllers. You will be able to play and compete with a game pad

Thailog

Thailog
  • Backer
  • 10 posts
  • United States

BIG GAMES = BIG FUN!

VoV and I have tried to start a weekly Thursday 10 am pst. game by spamming in game chat, and I have tried to start a Tuesday 7 pm pst. game. 

We definitely need to get organized.  So any pilots who would care to clock in should list their available flight schedule in this thread.

My current availability is as follows:  Wed and thurs = anytime.  Fri thru Tues =  6 pm pst to Midnight.

Vyper

Vyper
  • Underground
  • 59 posts
  • United States

I am available most any weeknight from 5 pm to Midnight and anytime on the weekends and I would Love to get some organized times where more than 1 or two players are around.

PuDLeZ

PuDLeZ
  • Underground
  • 311 posts
  • United States

@Devs: Ahem, evening stream for us US folks? :)

In a mine somewhere going pew pew pew and sometimes boom!

ad free 1080 vids at https://www.youtube....r/pudelz/videos
Twitch https://www.twitch.tv/pudlez

inspades

inspades
  • Backer
  • 259 posts
  • United States
x4

generally around 9-11PM EST

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Multiplayer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users