inspades

inspades
  • Backer
  • 239 posts
  • United States
x4

game mode
    reactor defense
        People seem to really enjoy playing survival in a defensive way. Make a game mode much like that descent 3 level where you have to defend the reactor from bots. with a wave format it should be quite interesting

General
    Breakable walls and grates should be readily destructable with all weapons, like only one or two laser1 shots worth
    proxy mines are quite durable for a ball of high explosive. I should be able to set it off with a flare\
    Directional Damage indicators - sorely needed
    When enemies are on radar, make their silouette, or a simple icon, show through walls. Much more intuitive.

if the enemy is off-screen, have a red arrow on the edge of the screen start pointing

Ore fuser
    making the Gol only require 1/2 an ore to make a block. it will see much more use
    make it so the gol shoots the ore like a missile, with a virtual silouette appearing where it will land
    hitting a player with it knocks them backwards and does some damagehttps://www.brightlo...ent-underground
    fill a room with  rocks to slow players down

The equipment pack
    not sure its working out
    we have all these cool tools, but they dont really see any use because of how precious quipment packs are
    make them require ORE instead of an equipment pack
        you just made ore a lot more valuable, and players will naturally fight for it in ALL game modes
        corp war meta gets more interesting: do you use some tools to get an advantage, or just get closer to the win?

Speaking of Ore...

Ore
    Have veins of ore in walls that never destruct - gives less ore the more it's mined down to a trickle
        like vespene gas in starcraft games
        allows for far fewer "dino eggs"
        glowing veins dim as its mined further
    have player drones drop an ore or two on death by default(good scrap to be had biggrin.png)
    mining laser sucks the ore directly into your ship, no need to pick up when getting ore this way
        extra ore is dropped as it is now
    make a tool that drops ore(or drops a weapon while were at it)

Combine the shaman heal tools - switching between is cumbersome with our limited button real-estate
    beam heals hull first, then shields. can change color as it goes from hull to shields
    shorten the range of the beam, but its omnidirectional(TF2 medigun)
        cant use primary weapons while using
        make two small domes on the top and bottom of the shaman for the heal beam to emit from
    No longer requires ore, but is slower without it
        ore only spent on hull repair

Ultimates, complete with cooldowns (you got DOTA in my Descent!)
    pred
        radar pulse - expose all enemies on the map for a short period
    typhoon
        generic damage buff - nuff said, except your shots also ignore shields and invulnerability effects
            shots visibly shatter through any shields and invuln to communicate that
    Wasp
        "Turrets OP"
            Permanently upgrade the damage and tracking of an active turret
    Panzer
        "Invulns for everyone!"
            gives yourself and any nearby teamates a 5 second invuln    
    Auger
        "Drill stuff"
            mining laser has longer reach
            greatly increased mining speed - mining laser near-instakills
                a custom death animation of getting carved in half with it would be swell
    Torch
        overdrive - greatly increase your speed, pitch/yaw, and maneverability for a period
    Goliath
        Godzilla
            Ram enemies to death (RAMMING SPEED!)
            Disables all weapons, get a heavy damage resist buff
    Warlock
        H@x0rz
            disables all weapons and radar for enemy ships in a radius for a period
            staticy hax0ry stuff fills the affected players hud
    Shaman
        "generic ultimate heal ability name here"
            For all friendly players
                restore 100% of health and armor over a short period

large range, goes through walls
                players cannot die during this period, even after fatal damage

defcon_x

defcon_x
  • Underground
  • 1,481 posts
  • United States
x12
x4

Awesome dump inspades! What have you been eating (for inspiration)?

I've been saying that about Goliath for some time now. Make it easy to shoot cubes. So much more intuitive and fun and useful!

And in general it makes a lot of sense that things should be easy to do. Flight is already an enormous learning curve for most people. Once that is mastered, you should be rewarded for that skill and be able to fire at things, trigger things, and do things like crazy with your powerful ships.

LINUX OS: MINT 17.X • DESKTOP: CINNAMON 2.X • CPU: i3 • RAM: 8GB • GPU: GTX960 • Thrustmaster T16000M • HELP DE-BUG D:U!

inspades

inspades
  • Backer
  • 239 posts
  • United States
x4

Maybe it was the kimchi? :P

Yeah, the shooting of ore pieces raises the question of having ship-specific guns. I think its a great idea and allows for much more intuitive use of abilities -- you can just hit a weapon key and use it

Also, adding to the damage indicator stuff, hits should give you that indicator as well as do two things to you hud

lurch it opposite the direction it was hit, and static up the players FOV at the edges.

Taking damage is a core part of the game and it should be a no-brainer that HEY! You just took damage!

inspades

inspades
  • Backer
  • 239 posts
  • United States
x4

in hindsight, the warlock ulti should disable the user's weapons too. that would be just stupidly op

Splotchie

Splotchie
  • Underground
  • 354 posts
  • Canada
x12

Does Warlock's ultimate disable Predator's or the other way around?

:D :D :D

An unusual choice for ship's cat....
Definitely don't go check out https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden

inspades

inspades
  • Backer
  • 239 posts
  • United States
x4

warlock disables radar and weapons of all enemies in a radius, though not ultis,.....or maybe it should as a sidegrade?

defcon_x

defcon_x
  • Underground
  • 1,481 posts
  • United States
x12
x4

Eventually, custom death animations would be pretty fun.

The technicals of the "cutting geometry in half" might be hard, but I would hope it's done like this, with flaming internal computer bits:

The slice geometry starts showing up at around 00:30 seconds.

LINUX OS: MINT 17.X • DESKTOP: CINNAMON 2.X • CPU: i3 • RAM: 8GB • GPU: GTX960 • Thrustmaster T16000M • HELP DE-BUG D:U!

dunkelza

dunkelza
  • Community ManagerCM
  • 2,758 posts
  • United States

Eventually, custom death animations would be pretty fun.

The technicals of the "cutting geometry in half" might be hard, but I would hope it's done like this, with flaming internal computer bits:

That's pretty cool. I know Unreal added functionality like that, but I don't think the tech guys have tested it yet.

inspades

inspades
  • Backer
  • 239 posts
  • United States
x4

Custom death animations would be fantastic.

• Violent flash-explosions (or "gibbing") of ships when they get overkilled, complete with a few remnants banging off the walls
  • Explosion damage blasting chunks off ships
  • Ships visually deform as they get more damaged
  • Ships spin out and explode as one of their side thrusters goes haywire from fatal damage
  • Fusions blasts blowing literal holes in a ship
  • lasers leave molten streaks of metal on hulls as they carve in
  • laser grids turning ships into metal confetti (heck, have the pieces make pinging sounds as you fly through them)

That can go on...main idea is giving more of a visual feast in this area that also make the player feel involved in what happened.

("Wow, that mega missile flunk his wing right into my camera!")

defcon_x

defcon_x
  • Underground
  • 1,481 posts
  • United States
x12
x4

Visual deformity would be neat, ideally, but conceptually shields should prevent pieces from sticking to you and mechanical injury is only fun for about 1 second before you just feel weakened and annoyed. Plus D3's lengthy destructions were sometimes so vague and time-consuming it was just annoying and obstructive. " Will this thing just explode already? I can't indicate any more destruction on it ... "

The benefit of not working with animation of living creatures is you can have dramatic and hilarious destruction without it being sickening. It would be cool if D:U eventually took advantage of the fun of that, Mythbusters style. But I'd most enjoy if the animations were fast. For two reasons. 1: you are rewarded for noticing the fast details over long periods of combat (it doesn't get stale) and 2: it gets out of the way quickly, doesn't block the action.

I would introduce a few different fun physics after your suggestions, if it were possible.

A "slice" physics as you first mentioned.

An "exploding shrapnel" physics where pieces go bouncing around.

and maybe

An "out of control" physics where independent propulsion parts, if determined to be "separated" could careen off at full speed independent of the rest of the hull.

But pretty much all this should be fast moments of destruction, I think. Keep up the pace of action, keep things within the "you are okay" or "you are totally hosed" dichotomy rather than any unfun "limping".

Although I suppose you could always argue that dramatic enough damage "gets through" the shields because of developing shield tech.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users