Descent Underground On Xbox One

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

b2af

b2af
  • Backer
  • 10 posts
  • United States

When I found out that DU was coming to consoles, I got super excited! I think I'm the only Descent pilot that plays competitively over at the DCL using a Xbox One controller. I would say that I'm good with a controller compared to my mouse and keyboard friends. 

With that being said, I would like to know how you guys would implement the DU controls on a controller? I have spent a lot of time thinking about the best way to implement Descent 6DoF controls on a controller and I think I have come up with a solid layout. I would like to share my experiences and layouts with you guys, but I don't go through all the trouble to post all my configurations without a response. 

Please let me know because the success of this game on a console is sometimes dependent on the layout of the controller. 

Thanks,

Wingman

Wingman
  • Game DeveloperDev
  • 1,929 posts
  • United States

Hell yes, toss it up, we can show you what we are doing, but yours might be better.

WM

b2af

b2af
  • Backer
  • 10 posts
  • United States

Sorry for the long delay I had other issues pop up.

My theory for playing competitive Descent on a controller is as follows:

Some things that need to be addressed before creating configurations on Descent is utilizing what I call the Golden Configuration of FPS. Since Descent, at its heart, is an FPS.You need to keep the left stick for basic movement. i.e, forward, reverse, strafe left and right, right stick is the aim stick. The right trigger should be fire primary and left trigger should be fire missiles. I say this configuration must not be changed because this is the default layout of all FPS since I can remember. Changing the Golden Configuration would be detrimental because console gamers are accustomed to this layout. I've seen console gamers pick up Descent and fly around just fine because of my layout. It's something they are used to. What they are not used to is the extra paddles on the controller. They get confused when they bank and slide up and down. I usually get comments like " Oh What!" or " That's Wierd" " or " That's Awesome." ( They get over it if they continue to play. ) If you plan to port DU to the Xbox One, you may have to try to sell the gameplay during a tutorial, which the tutorial needs to be well thought out. I think console players are fickle. If they don't like the controls, graphics, or gameplay they will be less likely to play DU again. This is something you don't want.

Now we can continue with controller configs

There are 3 goals that correspond to the different levels of Descent gameplay.

Goal 1: Achieve movement in all axes, fire primary and secondary, and use tools(drop proxies)(fire flares)(rear view)(use afterburner)  at the same time. The only way to accomplish this is through the Xbox One Elite controller, Scuff controller or anything with four buttons on the bottom end of the controller. (The PowerA Fusion controller is a cheap version of the elite controller.) This goal is where you want to be when you play Descent competitively.  If you cannot achieve this, then playing competitively wouldn't be a good idea.  For weapon switching, I use button combinations to change weapons. I am able to have four functions assigned to one button. The combinations I use are:  tap, tap and hold, double tap, double tap and hold. This way I'm able to switch to the weapon without  weapon cycling. I think you need this function because its part of the mind game to change to the appropriate weapon at the right time to defeat the other pilot. Cycling weapons are slow. For example, if I want the Vulcan weapon I hit the A button, to change the fusion cannon, I double tap the A button. It's super fast! If I wanted to, I can add 2 more functions to the A button. I believe adding button combinations is imperative for playing Descent on a controller and it should be implemented in DU.  Here is my layout for Descent

https://drive.google...xrluxBCDx9owdyr

https://drive.google...r906IAu4cZJY27O

Goal 2: Achieve all movements in all axes and fire weapons at the same time. This less than ideal to play competitive Descent.  This layout can be played on a standard controller. Notice, You cant do everything at the same time. You will have to move your thumb off of the right stick to drop bombs or fire flares. Banking and sliding up and down is more important than dropping bombs and firing flares. My layout for this level is very clunky. If you really want to play Descent competitively, but not able to purchase an Elite Controller This layout out is for you. With this layout, the afterburner must be achieved by double tapping the forward stick. Here is my layout.

https://drive.google...WeJIETlJHy_iSFV

Goal 3: Just have fun.  I think your current set up is good for just having fun. If you have to move your thumb off the aim stick for banking or sliding then the layout is for a noncompetitive gameplay. 

This is my controller with a chatpad.

https://drive.google...NmFJNWc4OS1obm8

Here is some GEEWIZ information that you may want to know about the Xbox One.

Note 1: Currently, to use the paddles you have to bind existing buttons to the paddles. I bind the D-pad to the paddles and use them for sliding and banking. Maybe as a Dev, you can change that in the game code. I'm not sure.

Note 2: Mouse and KB support can be enabled on the Xbox One only if the developer allows it. Minecraft uses this feature. 

Note 3: Enable cross-platform support can be achieved (ie Xbox vs PC ) only if the developer allows it. Minecraft, Rocket League and Gears of War 4 allows this.

Splotchie

Splotchie
  • Underground
  • 334 posts
  • Canada
x12

Now I'm curious... how do you double tap moving a stick forward?

An unusual choice for ship's cat....
Definitely don't go check out https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden

b2af

b2af
  • Backer
  • 10 posts
  • United States

With the combination of tap times, release zones, pauses, set selectors. You must use Xpadder to get something like this to work. I know its possible for the Devs to do because other games have accomplished something like this. I think Minecraft has a double tap forward to run. 

defcon_x

defcon_x
  • Underground
  • 1,450 posts
  • United States
x12
x4

Great layout, b2af! I dig it. Good thought into all of it.

For DU, I would put shotgun as the macro above the vulcan.

Then I'd pair up the future guided missiles above homers.

Not sure if they plan on more weapons than that, yet.

It does raise the question of how to get a ship's extra features going (like Ty's spin attack or Mining laser, as well as countermeasures on the other side) and it raises the specter of considering them as ship-specific primaries/secondaries again.

Your "drop bomb" button could be used to fire off countermeasures in general.

Cycling countermeasures would be another thing.

It may behoove D:U to really have mini cycle menus for each of the four triggers. (Primary, Secondary, Tool, Countermeasure)

LINUX OS: MINT 17.X • DESKTOP: CINNAMON 2.X • CPU: i3 • RAM: 8GB • GPU: GTX960 • Thrustmaster T16000M • HELP DE-BUG D:U!

dunkelza

dunkelza
  • Community ManagerCM
  • 2,730 posts
  • United States

It may behoove D:U to really have mini cycle menus for each of the four triggers. (Primary, Secondary, Tool, Countermeasure)

We are looking into radial selection menus for controller use, but we haven't decided on a specific method yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users