Photo

Survival bootcamp

help video tutorial series

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Survival tutorial (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Would a tutorial series on Survival be a welcome thing?

1. Yes (12 votes [92.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 92.31%

2. No (1 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

enerider

enerider
  • Backer
  • 137 posts
  • New Zealand (Aotearoa)
x2

Hi there,

I've seen a few video reviews recently, and they've left me ... underwhelmed.

In short: it seems that a lack of information for the new players is killing things from picking up.

SO

Shall I (or multiple of us?) put together a "Survival Basics" series to help the new people understand things like:

- what ore does

- the tools and their jobs

- why you end up spectating when you first join a Survival match

Suggestions and comments welcome

dunkelza

dunkelza
  • Community ManagerCM
  • 2,722 posts
  • United States

That could be cool!

Jobode

Jobode
  • Underground
  • 295 posts
  • Germany
x4

Thanks enerider!

yep, a tutorial and some basic information would be really helpfull for new Users

The question is what / whether improvements were already made on next "Major"-update:

https://descendentst...future/?p=42939

dunkelza

dunkelza
  • Community ManagerCM
  • 2,722 posts
  • United States

Thanks enerider!

yep, a tutorial and some basic information would be really helpfull for new Users

The question is what / whether improvements were already made on next "Major"-update:

https://descendentst...future/?p=42939

We haven't made any changes yet to the respawn delay. It's still on the list for review.

Mazzy

Mazzy
  • Underground
  • 21 posts
  • Australia
x12

Well i think it is a very good idea, point in case i had an old school player spawn in on level 17 i think it was and kept killing everything in sight, in the end i died trying to cap a point for the 4th or 5th time because bots kept respawning. As enerider & Jobode suggest some basics in how survival works would go a long way for everyone including players unfamiliar with Survival. smile.png

M~

defcon_x

defcon_x
  • Underground
  • 1,439 posts
  • United States
x12
x4

Hey, you're on there pretty often. How about this?

mazzys.png

LINUX OS: MINT 17.X • DESKTOP: CINNAMON 2.X • CPU: i3 • RAM: 8GB • GPU: GTX960 • Thrustmaster T16000M • HELP DE-BUG D:U!

enerider

enerider
  • Backer
  • 137 posts
  • New Zealand (Aotearoa)
x2

Well that could work too :D I've been busy so have not been able to do the recording thing :/

Mazzy

Mazzy
  • Underground
  • 21 posts
  • Australia
x12

Well that could work too biggrin.png I've been busy so have not been able to do the recording thing unsure.png

LoL, i will leave that to the experts like you enerider smile.png i do not even know how to video a game. smile.png

LoL defcon_x you know you just jinxed me ;)

Doglman

Doglman
  • Backer
  • 23 posts
  • United States

I think 'series' might be a little much. 1 video really should be plenty.

OS: Ubuntu 16.04 * CPU: i5-760 * GPU: GTX 750 Ti * RAM: 12GB

Swingarm1032

Swingarm1032
  • Backer
  • 309 posts
  • United States
x3

I would also be highly in favor of some tips for survival.

I would bet that many at first when they join a match don't have a clue as to why they are watching another player fly around.

Generally I play by myself in survival (most of these times I ended up joining because I hit the wrong button and had a different game mode in mind, thus I am quick to leave the match also here) and I think there could be some tips to help people learn the mode while they play solo as well.

My Claws must need sharpening...

defcon_x

defcon_x
  • Underground
  • 1,439 posts
  • United States
x12
x4

It is hard to keep saying "this will eventually help" but it really could help when spectators are capable of seeing the capture zones and process bars. One of the mysterious things for new people is not even being able to see why people are paused or what robots are doing in those areas.

LINUX OS: MINT 17.X • DESKTOP: CINNAMON 2.X • CPU: i3 • RAM: 8GB • GPU: GTX960 • Thrustmaster T16000M • HELP DE-BUG D:U!

Mazzy

Mazzy
  • Underground
  • 21 posts
  • Australia
x12

It is hard to keep saying "this will eventually help" but it really could help when spectators are capable of seeing the capture zones and process bars. One of the mysterious things for new people is not even being able to see why people are paused or what robots are doing in those areas.

defcon_x you have got it! I will be playing solo and many a time somebody has joined and whenever i start capturing a zone some are saying what are you doing why are you sitting there etc all while thay are unable to see my responses and in the majority of the cases they end up leaving before i can capature all zones which disheartens me.

M~

OG Pyro Jockey

OG Pyro Jockey
  • Backer
  • 55 posts
  • United States

Hey, you're on there pretty often. How about this?

mazzys.png

Awesome LOGO defcon_x ! ! !

Formerly known as simply "Pyro" back in the old Descent ][ (Kali) and ]I[ days (1996 through 2005).

If anyone on these forums have seen old Descent ][ or ]I[ players known as Zannox, Swiss (or Swissy), Perin, Malace, MrCottonmouth, Lordcastle, Duma, or Genghis Kahn, please let them know that I am looking for them (Underground Posted Image)

Thanks in advance!

dunkelza

dunkelza
  • Community ManagerCM
  • 2,722 posts
  • United States

Just to let y'all know, we're experimentally raising the safety cutoff on Survival games to 12 hours from 6 hours. It might take a little bit to show up in games, but the change has been made on the API side.

We know that's not "Unlimited", but as many of you have reported, we still have some fixes to make. So we want to keep the safety valve on while we're in early access.

Mazzy

Mazzy
  • Underground
  • 21 posts
  • Australia
x12

[dev]

Just to let y'all know, we're experimentally raising the safety cutoff on Survival games to 12 hours from 6 hours. It might take a little bit to show up in games, but the change has been made on the API side.

We know that's not "Unlimited", but as many of you have reported, we still have some fixes to make. So we want to keep the safety valve on while we're in early access.

[/dev]

Thank you dunkelza,

That is great for players like myself who play slowly, cautiously, and strategically. 12 hours is more than enough time. 

Thank you :)

dunkelza

dunkelza
  • Community ManagerCM
  • 2,722 posts
  • United States

Thank you dunkelza,

That is great for players like myself who play slowly, cautiously, and strategically. 12 hours is more than enough time. 

Thank you smile.png

Thank YOU and y'all for playing and testing stuff!

It helps us make the game better.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: help, video, tutorial, series

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users