• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

PyroJockey

PyroJockey
  • Backer
  • 935 posts
  • United States
x2

I just bought the April 1995 edition of PC Gamer with CD ROM, sweet memories. rolleyes.gif

2ynfl20.jpg

There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish

noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow stuff up.
Posted Image

[font=arial]Note: Everything I post is as a fan of Descent: Underground except for off-color statements - which will be written in PyroJockey Plum[/font][font=arial].[/font]

Swingarm1032

Swingarm1032
  • Backer
  • 351 posts
  • United States
x3

Wow, That is so awesome..

:)

My Claws must need sharpening...

Wingman

Wingman
  • Game DeveloperDev
  • 1,957 posts
  • United States

I have that issue - but man look how far graphics have come, that robot looks like one from Minecraft, the days of Box like ships/bots is over.

WM

ThemasterBlaster

ThemasterBlaster
  • Backer
  • 6 posts
  • United States

This is great. I remember these days well. Some of the younger players will never understand what an impact Descent had on the gaming industry. First, there were not as many games released back then like today not to mention few game genres. A good game would get very popular and everyone would have it. Unfortunately, there were many more bad games than good.

The game of the day back then was Doom. ID was king and that was their game. Every respectable player had it. Then Descent came onto the scene. While Quake and Doom revolutionized FPS, Descent revolutionized  6DOF. Before long, action games were split into two camps, Doom or Descent. Both talked trash and argued theirs was best. I had both games but clearly was in the Descent camp. I bought every version, expansion, and community map pack.  Descent was one of the first games to offer a map editor. This allowed the community to make maps and share them freely with the community. This was a VERY big deal and IMO, helped contribute to the games popularity.Today I have Doom 2016 and Descent Underground. Much has changed in the gaming industry since those Doom vs Descent days but one thing for sure, It has taken Descent way too long to return. Thank you Descendant Studios.

Wingman

Wingman
  • Game DeveloperDev
  • 1,957 posts
  • United States

Thanks Blaster - yeah, it has taken a while, but with us, Overload, Sol Contingency, Sub Level Zero - seems we have a decent chance of bringing it back.

That being said, I do think that one of the weaknesses of the PC marketplace is the absence of joysticks or game pads for every player.

M+KB is good, but you have to learn an all new dynamic with vertical to properly play, and you don't in games that are on a 2D plane like most FPS games are....

Therefore our potential market is smaller on PC than say COD, or Counterstrike etc....which is why I believe we need to also get on consoles....not that we are working on it, need revenue or an investor to do that first....but I do think a large mass market appeal will only happen if we get on console.

WM

Star Machinist

Star Machinist
  • Backer
  • 157 posts
  • United States

Wow, there is all kinds of nostalgia on that magazine cover. OS/2 Warp vs. Win 95. I actually had a dual-boot setup for the old family Aptiva so I could switch between playing Descent and Cyberia (also mentioned on the cover) and TIE Fighter '95 CD-ROM Edition in Win 95 and Rapid Assault in OS/2. That was my childhood and introduction to PC gaming!

As for boxy robots, hey, I still dig those looks all these years later. As simple as they were, they were distinct and easily recognizable. Also easier to draw. I think sketching the bots from Descent helped teach me about geometry and depth from an early age. Haha

See You Underground

Also unfortunately called: 

- Star Masochist (thanks Wingman)

- Star Misogynist (thanks Plaidhatter)

- Star Machicolation (thanks dunkelza)

Splotchie

Splotchie
  • Underground
  • 362 posts
  • Canada

Yup.  The whole unique silhouettes thing was much easier to do when the silhouette was the entire bot.

I was too young when I first played the game to understand much about the games industry as a whole but looking back on it now (eidetic memory helps a lot of things, heh) it's not difficult to imagine that it was an industry-breaker.

An unusual choice for ship's cat.
Definitely don't go check out https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden

Hunter

Hunter
  • Backer
  • 111 posts
  • United Kingdom

I have that issue - but man look how far graphics have come, that robot looks like one from Minecraft, the days of Box like ships/bots is over.

WM

You've said that 100 times already and you sound like a 12 year old every time you say it tongue.png

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi
  • Backer
  • 345 posts
  • Netherlands
x2

Gameplay > Graphics.

And that is they key advantage of the old classics that still make them the best Descent games every created by man kind, Descent 2 is my personal favorite, as i loved it's variety of weapons maps and game modes,Team Horde the same as Team Flag were fabulous.

Descent  First Strike was more opted to 1v1 players and players that didn't want all the extra's and changes Descent2: Counterstrike brought with it, Descent 3: Retribution was a nice followup for them single player fans it's multiplayer part wasn't as famed as the classics D1&D2 went but it still had it's own appeals to it some loved it some didn't.

And that is what I love about Descent Underground it is it's own thing gameplay is great and there are a variety of game modes, for me DU is my new D2 in the ways of gameplay and game modes, still D1 & D2 will always be my long time favorites of all Descent games, but once DU's campaign gets added I am pretty sure I can add DU top my faved Descent games of all time likewise cool.png

We;ll see.

Holder Of The World's Largest Descent / Freespace Collection:
Posted Image
Descent Is The Best Thing That Happened To You PC Since Floppy Drives!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users