• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

defcon_x

defcon_x
  • Underground
  • 1,362 posts
  • United States
x4

If this doesn't belong here, feel free to move it.

I wanted to pipe in about Discord. I was using it fine up until about a month ago, when Discord web app made some big updates. Since that time, not only does it not work, it doesn't share my mic even when it says it is, and so on ... it crashes Firefox when I try to do simple tasks like enter a room or do anything except chat.

Since I don't want to support a company whose solution to a faulty product is saying, "Use our other product" I have no interest in downloading a local app. This is "great bye" Discord. Parting is supposed to be such sweet sorrow, but I have to say I am not sure I mind leaving you behind this time.

Back to normal typing chat for me.

Anyone want to use a D:U Teamspeak thing?

LINUX OS: MINT 17.X • DESKTOP: CINNAMON 2.X • CPU: i3 • RAM: 8GB • GPU: GTX960 • Thrustmaster T16000M • HELP DE-BUG D:U!

Wingman

Wingman
  • Game DeveloperDev
  • 1,848 posts
  • United States

True, we eventually will have voice in the game though, so we won't need an app, it is just not top priority atm.

WM

OG Pyro Jockey

OG Pyro Jockey
  • Underground
  • 39 posts
  • United States

"Use our other product" I have no interest in downloading a local app. This is "great bye" Discord. Parting is supposed to be such sweet sorrow, but I have to say I am not sure I mind leaving you behind this time.

Back to normal typing chat for me.

In Discord's defense, I can say that I have experienced 100% reliability and functionality with the Desktop Application.  I have a lot of respect for you defcon_x, but to put things in perspective, would you prefer to play Descent: Underground in a Web Browser if it were available as such?  If so, WHY?  I cannot think of a single example of a Web Based application that also has a Desktop counterpart, where the Web Based version was better in any way.  Please elaborate why one would be so opposed to trying the Desktop application other that just pure principle?    

Respectfully and curiously yours,

Pyro

Formerly known as simply "Pyro" back in the old Descent ][ (Kali) and ]I[ days (1996 through 2005).   

If anyone on these forums have seen old Descent ][ or ]I[ players known as Zannox, Swiss (or Swissy), PerinMalace, MrCottonmouth, Lordcastle, Duma, or Genghis Kahn, please let them know that I am looking for them (Underground wink.png)

Thanks in advance!

Wingman

Wingman
  • Game DeveloperDev
  • 1,848 posts
  • United States

I think Defcon is a linux guy too, right?

WM

defcon_x

defcon_x
  • Underground
  • 1,362 posts
  • United States
x4

Yeah, OG Pyro Jockey, I am not opposed to a working app at all. I do love them when they actually work well with one another.

I am opposed to previously working products suddenly crapping out on me with no explanation, and I prefer to avoid Stockholm Syndrome. Though to be fair, I am just allowing myself a little more grumpiness on this particular matter right now because I don't have all the time I want lately to change programs as they appear or crumble. I only tried Discord because it was a way to talk in D:U.

I like to "set up" computer interaction habits with stuff that will work for years, like ZoneAlarm, PayPal, YouTube, Google ... stuff that will outlast the computers themselves. Discord presently doesn't seem to want to do that. Some of my favorite programs (e.g.; PeerGuardian 2, Opera, ____others____) have bit the dust and no programs have taken up similar functionality to replace them. I don't want to get into good habits I can't keep because of failure on the parts of the designers to upkeep. Gotta change with the times but I am not into micromanaging that. So if Discord doesn't keep up I am going to drop it. Program or no program. It's not like Google either where they have five or six amazing functions nobody uses. It's like 50% of the Discord thing just doesn't function.

In defense of web based things, they have constraints that seem to make them less OS heavy, they tend to be Linux friendly and I like that a lot because independent programs often don't play well together on any OS. I could be wrong about all of this but it's my perception that programs running on the bare OS, not in web, tend to gobble up resources with no end. That's not an excuse for me to not try programs worthy of that, but I'm always looking for the next "big thing" that's going to be super stable, and try to avoid fads and programs with only a passing interest in maintaining serious public functions.

Anyway, D:U's internal voip will be super nice and I'm excited for that. For the time being, I may just go full text.

LINUX OS: MINT 17.X • DESKTOP: CINNAMON 2.X • CPU: i3 • RAM: 8GB • GPU: GTX960 • Thrustmaster T16000M • HELP DE-BUG D:U!

PuDLeZ

PuDLeZ
  • Underground
  • 276 posts
  • United States

I'm also one for webapps when they work properly. Especially since I like using a chromebook unless I need a GPU...

I guess they released a stable version for Linux back in January tho I can't speak of how stable or how well it works... I only use the Android and Windows apps. I did try to use the webapp for awhile but couldn't get push-to-talk to work properly which made me do the android/windows route. 

In a mine somewhere going pew pew pew and sometimes boom!

ad free 1080 vids at https://www.youtube....r/pudelz/videos

Twitch https://www.twitch.tv/pudlez

enerider

enerider
  • Backer
  • 122 posts
  • New Zealand (Aotearoa)
x2
I've been using Discord's Linux build since it was beta, and have not had any real issues with it. Downloaded, unpacked and running (didn't have to install in any way). Runs well in all aspects I've looked at.

OG Pyro Jockey

OG Pyro Jockey
  • Underground
  • 39 posts
  • United States

Thanks for chiming in enerider!  I was planning on using your name in vain, but you saved me the trouble wink.png .  To elaborate on his statement above - enerider and I communicate via Discord several times a week.  He is in New Zealand and I am State side.  It is not unusual for us to occupy the same Discord channel, talking back and forth nonstop for 3 or 4 hours at a wack.  It works so well that I cannot believe that they let us use it for free.  There has got to be a catch coming.  Additionally, the audio quality is premo.  Most conversations sound better than your average cellular telephone call.  

Anyway, D:U's internal voip will be super nice and I'm excited for that. For the time being, I may just go full text.

Dear defcon_x,

Thanks for taking the time to indulge my inquiry.  I definitely concur with your statement directly above.  So often a random n00b will pop in to a game I'm playing and start asking questions that require more than a YES or NO answer.  I can't tell you how many times I've raced to a dark corner of a map hoping to type out a useful reply in peace, only to get my brains blasted out by some jerk or some bot when I clearly have the little "thought bubble" icon floating above my ship.  It's gotten to the point where I just answer with "If you want an answer to that question, please join me on Discord Game Session A".  I try to be a good ambassador for the D: U community, but usually I'd much rather spend my time playing the game instead of typing about the game (like I am doing right now tongue.png ).

I'd say based on Wingman's statement. . .   

True, we eventually will have voice in the game though, so we won't need an app, it is just not top priority atm.

WM

. . . we are not going to see that functionality any time soon huh.png  

Formerly known as simply "Pyro" back in the old Descent ][ (Kali) and ]I[ days (1996 through 2005).   

If anyone on these forums have seen old Descent ][ or ]I[ players known as Zannox, Swiss (or Swissy), PerinMalace, MrCottonmouth, Lordcastle, Duma, or Genghis Kahn, please let them know that I am looking for them (Underground wink.png)

Thanks in advance!

Designopotamus

Designopotamus
  • Game DeveloperDev
  • 188 posts
  • United States

I can't tell you how many times I've raced to a dark corner of a map hoping to type out a useful reply in peace, only to get my brains blasted out by some jerk or some bot when I clearly have the little "thought bubble" icon floating above my ship.

You know that Wingman always kills those people first, right? biggrin.png

[REDACTED]

OG Pyro Jockey

OG Pyro Jockey
  • Underground
  • 39 posts
  • United States

You know that Wingman always kills those people first, right? biggrin.png

That is FUNNY!  Well, being that as it may, when I made that statement, I certainly was NOT referring to Wingman specifically  wink.png

Every time I have played with Wingman, he has been a perfect Gentleman (with the possible exception of Wingman's Hangover on Friday'swmh.png

Thanks in advance!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users