Photo

Minor Critique

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

BaronSaturday

BaronSaturday
  • 16 posts
  • United States
I hope this is viewed as constructive rather than a take-away.

So. I love everything that exists in the game. Nothing needs changing save for some minor optimizations, but that's every game ever.

Moving forward, I would like to see some of the classic maps or something more akin to the classic maps. As it stands map designs seem to follow this design principle. Large open "pod" with tunnels leading to more pods of varying sizes. This seems reminiscent of the classic maps, but it plays significantly differently than the old maps. The classic maps had a lot of diversity in room and tunnel sizes. While I understand that they were much larger as the game was single player, it is something I would love to see this scaled down in the multiplayer. I love the current maps as a small departure from the classic maps, but I think the classic maps can be emulated quite well. Tighter cooridors leading into oddly angular rooms that open up toward the middle followed by wider cooridors that lead into wide open rooms that lead into hallway esque tunnels into tight but wide rooms.

Hope this isn't viewed as negative. Again. I love what's there, but feel a more classic style of map creation is in order.

dunkelza

dunkelza
  • Community ManagerCM
  • 2,777 posts
  • United States

Thanks, BaronSaturday!

We definitely look forward to more varieties of maps! Our current mapkit for the community is a bit rudimentary, but we are working on a better one.

defcon_x

defcon_x
  • Underground
  • 1,489 posts
  • United States
x4

Baron, your ideas are intriguing. If you don't want to learn the MapKit, may I interest you in a proposition?

If you sketch up an original map (even if it's derivative of an existing map you like, but with your own ideas) I could take a stab at the creation in the MapKit and we could submit it for entry. :)

LINUX OS: MINT 17.X • DESKTOP: CINNAMON 2.X • CPU: i3 • RAM: 8GB • GPU: GTX960 • Thrustmaster T16000M • HELP DE-BUG D:U!

BaronSaturday

BaronSaturday
  • 16 posts
  • United States

Baron, your ideas are intriguing. If you don't want to learn the MapKit, may I interest you in a proposition?

If you sketch up an original map (even if it's derivative of an existing map you like, but with your own ideas) I could take a stab at the creation in the MapKit and we could submit it for entry. smile.png

What I would recommend is going to Descent 2 and playing the first map in the campaign.  If you can manage to compress those elements, the variety and style, then you got it.  You'll understand.  It had been almost two decades since I played a Descent game.  I went back and played 2 and went.  Huh.  I see.  These maps in UG are great, but they're not what the Descent games have.  They're close.  Definitely Descent-esque.  Definitely refreshing, but not the same.  I love these maps and I want them to stay, but there's a magic about the old maps.  Hard to explain.

Jobode

Jobode
  • Underground
  • 306 posts
  • Germany
x2
x4

What I would recommend is going to Descent 2 and playing the first map in the campaign.  If you can manage to compress those elements, the variety and style, then you got it.  You'll understand.  It had been almost two decades since I played a Descent game.  I went back and played 2 and went.  Huh.  I see.  These maps in UG are great, but they're not what the Descent games have.  They're close.  Definitely Descent-esque.  Definitely refreshing, but not the same.  I love these maps and I want them to stay, but there's a magic about the old maps.  Hard to explain.

The current Maps are specially designed for Multiplayer.

Just played the first D2-Level again. I know what you mean with "variety&style" but this Level does not fit for multiplayer and it´s different game types.

If you have a look at the current maps still played in D2, they are relativ similar (from the structure) to DU-Maps. (especially Valor, Skylab and Mobius)

But I hope for the new MapKit with significantly more possibilities. dunkelza just wrote, that they are working on a new one.

I guess not until realease of the sp campaign, the final possibilities for map creation will be revealed... I think(hope) there will be tons of new maps then... wink.png

BaronSaturday

BaronSaturday
  • 16 posts
  • United States
I'm not talking about changing the balance methodology to emulate a single player mode. I just mean nailing down the style of the maps. How things tend to be wider than they are tall. Things can have a sense of clostraphobia and still have space to move if that makes sense. It forces you to choose a new way to engage by limiting you in some way and I think it could play well in pvp and it'll be different from what we have now.

Jobode

Jobode
  • Underground
  • 306 posts
  • Germany
x2
x4

I'm not talking about changing the balance methodology to emulate a single player mode. I just mean nailing down the style of the maps. How things tend to be wider than they are tall. Things can have a sense of clostraphobia and still have space to move if that makes sense. It forces you to choose a new way to engage by limiting you in some way and I think it could play well in pvp and it'll be different from what we have now.

i did not write something about changing "the balance methodology"... I wanted to compare the existing multiplayer maps of DU and D2

What you describe sounds like maps designed for Singleplayer. These maps do not yet exist in DU.

But it should be possible to create such maps... Maybe it it helps if you get the MapKit and design some examples.

https://descendentst...-03-03/?p=35962

Wingman

Wingman
  • Game DeveloperDev
  • 1,950 posts
  • United States

Great feedback and it mirrors exactly conversations we have had internally specifically about height being limited but not width.

WM

Vyper

Vyper
  • Underground
  • 59 posts
  • United States

Once the new map kit is released I will be happy to create some maps in the style of the old maps. If you have any requests, let me know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users