Steam Reviews Confused

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Star Machinist

Star Machinist
  • Backer
  • 157 posts
  • United States

So, I've noticed a disturbing number of recent Steam reviews of D:U that I can only describe as being... "confused." Like this one for instance:

"I bought this game because I felt nostalgic of Fury III, clone

of the original Descent, and how it was fun to fly all around
a planet firing at hostile ships coming at me, destroying 
army camps, flying into endless straight tunnels and finally
killing a boss...

...The FPS maps are claustrophobic for a space vehicle,

this game urgely needs huge free roaming spaces in which 
one can properly enjoy the full extent of flight. The skyline
of a city full of skyscrapers with hidden passages among buildings
and underground would be a much better improvement over
the current maps. It's not that it is difficult to move around within
the current maps, it's just that it feels as a dutiful exercise of timing
rather than the crazy fun experience I would have with less

constrained spaces."

I... I don't think this person knows what Descent is (Fury III is NOT a clone of Descent! He's clearly referring to Terminal Velocity! I know because I loved playing Fury III back in the day lol), and it's completely unfair that reviews like these are bringing D:U's overall rating down.

And this one:

"I've bought this game to support the development of it just because of nostalgia to Descent series. And I think it's a good starting point. However there's not much content in it at the moment. Trying to use controller in a UI is a disaster. The game successfully launches only from the second tru, and you have to go to the PC to start it while on a SteamLink.

I hope that in the future... :-)"

Is he saying there's no way to start D:U from Steam's "Big Picture" mode because you have to go through the launcher in Steam? That's the only thing I could figure, since I regularly play D:U with a 360 controller and have no issues navigating D:U's menu at all. Either way, that's no reason to give D:U a negative review! That's ridiculous!

And yet another one:

"I really enjoyed the original Descent series, but I'm really disappointed by this version. The controls are difficult, and the VR aspect makes my head spin due to the close quarters nature of the environment. I even tried 2D to reduce the nausea, but still, the controls are not easy to master. I don't recommend it."

WHAT? The close quarters nature of the environment makes his head spin? He says he really enjoyed the original Descent series, but he makes it sound like close quarters is something that's detracting from the gameplay. And he's specifically talking about the VR experience making him nauseated. I mean, has he tried playing it the normal way, with a monitor? Again, not a reason to give a negative review for D:U.

I could keep going and point out lots of bizarre fallacious negative reviews, but I'm going to stop there and focus on something more constructive.

How can we resolve some of this "confusion" coming in from recent reviews? I know there will always be people who don't quite "get it" and you can't please everybody, but at this point, it's like we need big flashing signs on the front page that say: 

"ATTENTION: YOU WILL EXPERIENCE CLOSE QUARTERS, FAST MOVEMENT, FRENETIC ACTION, EXPLOSIONS, AND POSSIBLE NAUSEA IF UNACCUSTOMED TO 6 DEGREES OF FREEDOM. ALSO REQUIRES USE OF MOUSE TO START GAME THROUGH LAUNCHER."

It's just silly, guys, it's just silly.

On a more positive note, I know you guys are in crunch mode for the singleplayer and I am soooooo looking forward to that! I've got some more gameplay videos planned that I want to put together soon (hopefully tonight!) so I can showcase the improvements made from the last time I uploaded a D:U video.

Do you guys have any plans of releasing a possible singleplayer demo? Like maybe one training mission and the first level to play along with one map for survival mode? Just a basic, "Hey, thanks for taking an interest in our game. This is what it's like (No it's not Fury III dangit) If you enjoy it, please consider supporting us by purchasing the full product" message to go along with it. Maybe something along those lines can help.

Anyways, keep up the great work as always!

See You Underground

Also unfortunately called: 

- Star Masochist (thanks Wingman)

- Star Misogynist (thanks Plaidhatter)

- Star Machicolation (thanks dunkelza)

dunkelza

dunkelza
  • Community ManagerCM
  • 2,722 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Star Machinist! We see those and it's discouraging. It's nice to hear from folks like you.

We're doing our best, and I appreciate everyone in the community trying to politely help clear up the confusion. As near as I can figure, it's really about patiently and nicely stating and restating the facts and not getting flustered.

We are thinking about adding a single-player mission to a demo at some point. We want to make sure that we've got it in a really good state first, though. We'll probably have something with multiplayer and Survival (but only the Wasp to fly) out sooner to test the demo tech and get you folks some more rock jocks to shoot at.

Plus, there's single-player, but we've got to get it to PG first so folks can help us get it really nice.

bacon.png bacon.png popcorn.gif

Star Machinist

Star Machinist
  • Backer
  • 157 posts
  • United States

[dev]

We are thinking about adding a single-player mission to a demo at some point. We want to make sure that we've got it in a really good state first, though. We'll probably have something with multiplayer and Survival (but only the Wasp to fly) out sooner to test the demo tech and get you folks some more rock jocks to shoot at.

[/dev]

I like this idea! I think I remember it getting mentioned on the most recent WMH and thought that sounded great. In my opinion, having a free demo for people to try is a way of showing confidence in the game and also gives people more confidence in trying and buying the game, since they know beforehand what they're getting into, perhaps even solving some of those pesky misinformed negative user reviews. People who are curious about it can play it for themselves rather than skimming through reviews first and getting the wrong impression from reading some of those recent ones. (I'm still baffled over the Fury III one.)

Also, free demos seem pretty rare these days, so any time a modern game releases a demo, I think it tends to be mostly received in a positive light. More people are willing to give it a shot, and if they like it enough, they'll buy in to support it. I know I'm personally way more likely to buy a game if I play the demo and enjoy it.

See You Underground

defcon_x

defcon_x
  • Underground
  • 1,439 posts
  • United States
x12
x4

Yeah, I saw that Fury3 comment and I was really confused myself.

Man, I love cheeseburgers and tacos, and DS is making a new cheeseburger. But I really felt like a taco, and this cheeseburger is not a taco! I'm so pissed at them.

I actually signed up to Steam to comment on some of these (in a nice way, was the intention) but I think I have to buy the game through steam to say anything so I will just have to let those weird one fly.

But yeah, so many people don't understand this is an early access game or any other quality, and then instead of understanding what they've done they blame DS for being as advertised instead of their fantasy interpretation of D:U.

LINUX OS: MINT 17.X • DESKTOP: CINNAMON 2.X • CPU: i3 • RAM: 8GB • GPU: GTX960 • Thrustmaster T16000M • HELP DE-BUG D:U!

Wingman

Wingman
  • Game DeveloperDev
  • 1,929 posts
  • United States

The last time I counted the Neg reviews had over 60% - no single player - so hopefully when we get that in, we can reach back out to all of them.

WM

Star Machinist

Star Machinist
  • Backer
  • 157 posts
  • United States

Yeah, I saw that Fury3 comment and I was really confused myself.

Man, I love cheeseburgers and tacos, and DS is making a new cheeseburger. But I really felt like a taco, and this cheeseburger is not a taco! I'm so pissed at them.

I actually signed up to Steam to comment on some of these (in a nice way, was the intention) but I think I have to buy the game through steam to say anything so I will just have to let those weird one fly.

But yeah, so many people don't understand this is an early access game or any other quality, and then instead of understanding what they've done they blame DS for being as advertised instead of their fantasy interpretation of D:U.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe you can generate a Steam key through your account here (Click on your profile options at top-right and go to Game, look for Steam key in the Downloads Area.) That should allow you to comment on the reviews and leave your own review.

That's how I linked my account to Steam, although I hardly ever play the game through Steam (I always tend to open the launcher directly) so it looks like I haven't put as much time on it there. I've contemplated going through some of these reviews and addressing them in a friendly manner, just to try to clear up some of the confusion.

[dev]

The last time I counted the Neg reviews had over 60% - no single player - so hopefully when we get that in, we can reach back out to all of them.

WM

[/dev]

Yeah, I read one that seemed to think the "Practice Vs. AI" mode was the singleplayer experience. I feel like if they took as much time to google "Descent: Underground singleplayer" as they did to write a salty review they'd see that a campaign is indeed in the works. lol

See You Underground

defcon_x

defcon_x
  • Underground
  • 1,439 posts
  • United States
x12
x4

If I'm not mistaken, I believe you can generate a Steam key through your account here (Click on your profile options at top-right and go to Game, look for Steam key in the Downloads Area.) That should allow you to comment on the reviews and leave your own review.

Aha! Really? I think I might try that and reply to one or two of them. I don't want to ruffle feathers, though, so I will probably ignore most of them.

LINUX OS: MINT 17.X • DESKTOP: CINNAMON 2.X • CPU: i3 • RAM: 8GB • GPU: GTX960 • Thrustmaster T16000M • HELP DE-BUG D:U!

Wingman

Wingman
  • Game DeveloperDev
  • 1,929 posts
  • United States

Aha! Really? I think I might try that and reply to one or two of them. I don't want to ruffle feathers, though, so I will probably ignore most of them.

Go ahead and ruffle.

:)

WM

defcon_x

defcon_x
  • Underground
  • 1,439 posts
  • United States
x12
x4

I feel as though I did hit the "link accounts" button correctly, but I don't see where I am supposed to put the Steam key so that Steam knows I am playing the game? I am sorry to ask but does anyone know how to properly link the two places? I am sure this has been answered but I am not cleverly putting in the correct search terms on this forum, it seems, to find the solution.

Never mind, it seems one has to install the Steam client, not just access through the web.

DarkwingDiva

DarkwingDiva
  • Backer
  • 127 posts
  • United States

If you have the key, open the Steam software. Go to your games Library. In the lower left corner you should see an option or a pull down that let's you Activate Game. It will let you put the key in there. (Sorry I'm at work and am going off of memory)

defcon_x

defcon_x
  • Underground
  • 1,439 posts
  • United States
x12
x4

Thanks Darkwing!

Pixley

Pixley
  • Backer
  • 550 posts
  • United States
[dev]

I feel as though I did hit the "link accounts" button correctly, but I don't see where I am supposed to put the Steam key so that Steam knows I am playing the game? I am sorry to ask but does anyone know how to properly link the two places? I am sure this has been answered but I am not cleverly putting in the correct search terms on this forum, it seems, to find the solution.

Click this.

hefUHqq.png

[/dev]
Even though I post in dev orange, that doesn't mean you should take my word as gospel. What I say is what I know at time of writing. Programming is, at all times, a learning experience. Things change.

defcon_x

defcon_x
  • Underground
  • 1,439 posts
  • United States
x12
x4

Thank you. I have it linked, but Steam still won't let me write a review, as far as I can tell. Or I don't see where to do that.

Do I have to open D:U through Steam so it logs an hour of play or something? I wouldn't put it past them, and that would be a reasonable system ... :)

DarkwingDiva

DarkwingDiva
  • Backer
  • 127 posts
  • United States

Is DS removing reviews from Steam? Since this thread came up I've been peeking at the reviews and I've noticed that the number of reviews counted towards rating have dropped by almost half, and not only that, matches the number of steam purchasers? Except the number of steam purchasers yesterday was a higher number than it is today? Or is this kind of thing normal and I'm just unaware. I'm a little confused myself lol

Pixley

Pixley
  • Backer
  • 550 posts
  • United States
[dev]

Valve made a change yesterday where only reviews from people who bought a game for themselves count, stripping that privilege from people who got that game as a gift.

[/dev]
Even though I post in dev orange, that doesn't mean you should take my word as gospel. What I say is what I know at time of writing. Programming is, at all times, a learning experience. Things change.

DarkwingDiva

DarkwingDiva
  • Backer
  • 127 posts
  • United States

[dev]

Valve made a change yesterday where only reviews from people who bought a game for themselves count, stripping that privilege from people who got that game as a gift.

[/dev]

Oh damn, I wonder what they were thinking. Well I appreciate you clearing that up!

Wingman

Wingman
  • Game DeveloperDev
  • 1,929 posts
  • United States

Or from people who got it as a Kickstarter backer.

It is bullshit.

WM

defcon_x

defcon_x
  • Underground
  • 1,439 posts
  • United States
x12
x4

Oh well, guess I would just have to buy another copy when it comes out to make a review. :)

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi
  • Backer
  • 327 posts
  • Netherlands
x2

Steam is useless, we never needed this garbage in the 1990's I don't see why it's of need these days, Steam has always been a lazy excuse to me, in the old days Games were tested by professionals the quality of games back the was far greater than of these days these community tested games don't even come close to the game play quality we had back then, that is just my overall verdict.

In other words that's Steam for ya, they don't care they only care for money as it has been for many years.

If I knew that Steam was this bad I never would of made an account.

Holder Of The World's Largest Descent / Freespace Collection:
DU+Sig500.jpg
Descent Is The Best Thing That Happened To You PC Since Floppy Drives!

DarkwingDiva

DarkwingDiva
  • Backer
  • 127 posts
  • United States

I disagree. Sure we didn't need Steam back in the 90s, but we also didn't need smart phones, or multi-core processors. However, it does makes things easier. Automatically updating your library of games is almost worth it by itself, let alone the ease of buying older games with built in dos box running so you don't have to manually configure it (sure it doesn't always work, but then it wouldn't work when manually configured either). Sure, I can see why someone would say the games were of higher quality back then. Percentage wise this was true. However, keep in mind that the number of games out these days are at a much higher total number then back in the 90s. Statistically, you're going to have more bad ones if the total number is higher. It is also easier for small teams to make games these days. If the industry still operated like it did in the 90s, then D:U would never have happened. Sure there might be some negative, but it's not all negative. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Steam, Reviews, Confused

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users