Photo

Freelook (mouse look)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

OverDhill

OverDhill
  • 14 posts
  • United States

I would like to see the option of having the mouse be assigned to Freelook (mouse look) since I am using a joystick for Pitch/Yaw. I have watched some of the VR demo videos so I think it is somewhat already there. I know it was mentioned that the cockpit needs some work but for now any Freelook would be better than none. Also having the option of toggle it off and on with a button would be great.

defcon_x

defcon_x
  • Underground
  • 1,439 posts
  • United States
x12
x4

The ships are meant to be a bit more like flight-sim so mouselook would be really restricted. Especially for balance between all ships.

However, devs will make the Predator the mouselook ship. So if you want to use mouselook, you will eventually be able to employ that for the Predator - the nimble ship. :)

LINUX OS: MINT 17.X • DESKTOP: CINNAMON 2.X • CPU: i3 • RAM: 8GB • GPU: GTX960 • Thrustmaster T16000M • HELP DE-BUG D:U!

OverDhill

OverDhill
  • 14 posts
  • United States

I suppose it all depends on the details of the cockpit. If the cockpit is done in 3D (lets say for VR) then TrackIR would give the same immersion. It would allow you to look out the windows like it does in a flight sim. I just finished adding TrackIR to Everspace using its freelook. It really adds to the game. It doesn't give you any more advantage in what you see but just makes it more natural to look around instead of using mouse/keys to change your viewing direction.

I would like to see native TrackIR support added to DU either with NaturalPoint SDK or the Freetrack SDK (which is probably cheaper way to do it) but if they at least give us the ability to bind the mouse to freelook you can use a work around. Even those that don't have TrackIR (or can't make a cheap DIY version) people can still use the mouse or trackball to look around. Of coarse a 3D cockpit would be preferable but then again it would be necessary for VR support as well.

It is pleasing to see community developers add TrackIR to older games like Descent D2X-XL and Freespace 2 Open. Also some smaller companies like Marauder Interactive's House of the Dying Sun took the time to add support for TrackIR.  I understand that it is fairly simple to add TrackIR support but companies seem to want to come up with excuses as to why they don't. If you can support VR then you can support TrackIR. I dare say there are probably many TrackIR users and will probably be more when they realize they can't afford a VR setup.

As someone who uses it I can tell you it is a great immersion experience. One would think it would be awkward to get used to but actually when your profile is tweaked it is very easy to get comfortable with. Let's see how long people can hang a VR headset off their face before their neck muscles start to scream.

defcon_x

defcon_x
  • Underground
  • 1,439 posts
  • United States
x12
x4

That sounds fun, I hope they do implement this all as you describe. I think they may have even answered a question related to this in the latest Wingman's hangars (ds90 and ds91). It sounds like a very familiar question.

LINUX OS: MINT 17.X • DESKTOP: CINNAMON 2.X • CPU: i3 • RAM: 8GB • GPU: GTX960 • Thrustmaster T16000M • HELP DE-BUG D:U!

Pixley

Pixley
  • Backer
  • 550 posts
  • United States
[dev]

It was 89.  Here's a direct link: https://youtu.be/59URoiNXg4I?t=19m11s.  :)

[/dev]
Even though I post in dev orange, that doesn't mean you should take my word as gospel. What I say is what I know at time of writing. Programming is, at all times, a learning experience. Things change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users