• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

OG Pyro Jockey

OG Pyro Jockey
  • Underground
  • 39 posts
  • United States

Howdy folks!

This has happened to me during the update process of the last two "Non-Production" builds.  I did not report the last one as I assumed it might have been a "one off" type occurrence.  But since it has happened to me the last two times in a row, I thought it was worth reporting.  Here were the sequence of events:

1.)  Click on Mega Missile Icon   Megasplosion.png

2.)  Admin permissions check = Yes

3.)  SERVER MESSAGE  //  Welcome to Early Access. . .  blah, blah, blah  = OK

4.)  Establishing link to Server

5.)  ENVIRONMENT SELECTION  //  PROVING GROUNDS

6.)  Clicked on PROVING GROUNDS             [BUILD 2928]

7.)  DOWNLOADING BUILD: 2928  (From 0 to 4965 MB)

a.)  Waiting, waiting, watching grass grow, waiting for the paint to dry, etc.

b.)  Will there EVER by a delta update installer, or are we going to have to download 4 to 5 GB's of Descent: Underground every other week ?  tongue.png

c.)  Wait some more. . .

8.)  UNPACKING: DESCENT-WINDOWSNOEDITOR.PAK  (From 0 to 11633 MB / 12023 MB - approximately 97%)

a.)  At which point the updater bombs out

b.)  The interesting part is, if I go to the file system where the game is installed, I am left with a subdirectory here:

D:\Games\Descent Underground\launcher\resources\win-b49a0e4e2f8b6ba9ce291371be199612

with a single file in it called noeditor_2928.zip which happens to be approximately 4.960 GB's in size

9.)  I can then successfully extract the ZIP file, and it appears to create all the necessary files and subdirectories to make the Proving Grounds Build playable

Please note that the circumstances described above have never occurred on a Production Build (yet) and have only happened on the two most recent Proving Grounds Builds.

Merry Christmas !   drillsey.gif

Formerly known as simply "Pyro" back in the old Descent ][ (Kali) and ]I[ days (1996 through 2005).

If anyone on these forums have seen old Descent ][ or ]I[ players known as Zannox, Swiss (or Swissy), Perin, Malace, MrCottonmouth, Lordcastle, Duma, or Genghis Kahn, please let them know that I am looking for them (Underground Posted Image)

Thanks in advance!

Designopotamus

Designopotamus
  • Game DeveloperDev
  • 189 posts
  • United States

Hey, OG Pyro Jockey: the next time (hopefully never, but these things do happen) you see this, would you please grab your launcher log and stick it somewhere where we can get to it? (Just a cut and paste of the last 20-30 lines or so will work fine.)

Launcher log is found in C:\Users\<whoever you are>\AppData\Roaming\descent-underground-launcher.

Thanks,

Rob

[REDACTED]

OG Pyro Jockey

OG Pyro Jockey
  • Underground
  • 39 posts
  • United States

Will do Rob!  Thanks for checking in. . .  By the way, the problem mentioned above has not recurred since.

I know you guys are working hard on the "Single Player Campaign" but I haven't heard any news about the Delta Updater in a long while.  I realize that this is not at all important or related gameplay, but for Alpha, Beta and Underground backers it might be.  If not a Delta Updater, at least build in a better downloader that supports resuming downloads.  I can't tell you how frustrating it can be to get 80 or 90% finished with a download only to end in something that looks like this (see screenshot below):

ZolN0TU.png

The screenshot above represents one possible outcome of an interrupted download.  Fortunately, this one barely got started before it puked.  The content of my launcher.log follows. . .

{"level":"info","message":"Setting: keeplog=false","timestamp":"2017-01-17T05:03:51.237Z"}

Overcome by events (OBE).  Contents redacted on 13 April, 2017

{"level":"info","message":"Closed main window, exiting application.","timestamp":"2017-01-17T05:21:48.526Z"}

Formerly known as simply "Pyro" back in the old Descent ][ (Kali) and ]I[ days (1996 through 2005).

If anyone on these forums have seen old Descent ][ or ]I[ players known as Zannox, Swiss (or Swissy), Perin, Malace, MrCottonmouth, Lordcastle, Duma, or Genghis Kahn, please let them know that I am looking for them (Underground Posted Image)

Thanks in advance!

enerider

enerider
  • Backer
  • 126 posts
  • New Zealand (Aotearoa)
x2

Same error as above when trying to download Proving Grounds.

The error comes up before the download is even attempted by the launcher

enerider

enerider
  • Backer
  • 126 posts
  • New Zealand (Aotearoa)
x2

...and after peeling apart the launcher log: It seems the Google storage link is dodgy!

<Error><Code>NoSuchKey</Code><Message>The specified key does not exist.</Message></Error>

I used the URL from the "Loading URL" entry

enerider

enerider
  • Backer
  • 126 posts
  • New Zealand (Aotearoa)
x2

Wahey! with the new PG build I could do the download!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bug, Updater, Error, Build 2928

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users