[Feedback] Removing Shield Orbs extra pickups from Valor

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

dunkelza

dunkelza
  • Community ManagerCM
  • 2,730 posts
  • United States

In the most recent build, we have removed Shield Orb spawners from Valor in all of the PVP modes. They're still there in Vs. Bots.

After playing without these "free" power-ups, what do you think of this?

Specifically:

• How does it change the flow of matches?
  • Does it improve the gameplay experience?
  • Do more experienced players die more frequently than they used to?
  • Do less experienced players die more frequently, or about the same?

Wingman

Wingman
  • Game DeveloperDev
  • 1,929 posts
  • United States

Yep, we tried it internally and the game play seemed more even - we are responding to a lot of people letting us know that Shield farming was hurting balance.

So we tried it with one map first, to see what you guys think....and we didn't want to just do it with Proving Grounds members, but with the entire community....so once we take this build to production (hopefully in the morning) we want to hear your thoughts.

WM

Vyper

Vyper
  • Underground
  • 57 posts
  • United States
x12

Removing shield Orbs from Valor was OK. HOWEVER, putting all of those blocks in front of the mega was just plain Cruel.

Jobode

Jobode
  • Underground
  • 295 posts
  • Germany
x4

I like it! Feels like more Action.

Maybe you can only put in one or two in the secret areas -This will make it more difficult to access the Orbs and the secret areas will probabely be more used

Wingman

Wingman
  • Game DeveloperDev
  • 1,929 posts
  • United States

Removing shield Orbs from Valor was OK. HOWEVER, putting all of those blocks in front of the mega was just plain Cruel.

You just have to mine your way through the tunnel....and you can thank Designopotumus he is a harsh man.

WM

raptur

raptur
  • Underground
  • 485 posts
  • United States
x3
x3
x2

I *really* like the lack of shield orbs. I got a K:D of about 3:2 in Valor just a little bit ago, then about 10:1 in Rama (which still has lots of orbs) against the same opponents.

Sargonster

Sargonster
  • 1 posts
  • United States

I have played Descent since it had no number (#1)tech. They do not effect balance because in pvp for instance they would make a great "aid" to the combatants. I strongly Disagree with doing away with the orbs. The are a landmark quality item passed down through the game. Like the guide-bot. They are simply power-ups just like in countless other shooter games. Imean really? The beautiful blue Orbs. come on. Concentrate on the maps.     

Whiteshark

Whiteshark
  • Backer
  • 527 posts
  • Finland
x2

It means me and probably others who play seriousy will find a nice fighting area and stay there for ever. 

Wouldn't it be easier to read if this was on Comic Sans?

Wingman

Wingman
  • Game DeveloperDev
  • 1,929 posts
  • United States

I have played Descent since it had no number (#1)tech. They do not effect balance because in pvp for instance they would make a great "aid" to the combatants. I strongly Disagree with doing away with the orbs. The are a landmark quality item passed down through the game. Like the guide-bot. They are simply power-ups just like in countless other shooter games. Imean really? The beautiful blue Orbs. come on. Concentrate on the maps.     

They are not GONE sargonster - just gone as random power ups. You can still get them from blowing up your enemies, or from them being manufactured by the shaman.

WM

Vainiac

Vainiac
  • Backer
  • 119 posts
  • United States

I also like the removal of random shields, it really improves the anarchy gameplay. Thanks for listening to the community on this.

Wingman

Wingman
  • Game DeveloperDev
  • 1,929 posts
  • United States

I also like the removal of random shields, it really improves the anarchy gameplay. Thanks for listening to the community on this.

We always listen, we all want this to be the best it can be.....if everyone likes it we will adjust all the maps.

WM

foxjr-jens

foxjr-jens
  • Underground
  • 40 posts
  • Germany
x13

My idea is: a automatically voting at the beginning of the match.   (You can press key 1 or 2)

The player can choose: with or without Shield Orbs.
If no one votes or equal -> without orbs

If there are more votes for orbs -> orbs

@jobode: I like his idea: you can put the quad laser, homing missiles and the smart in this area

Wingman

Wingman
  • Game DeveloperDev
  • 1,929 posts
  • United States

The orbs are all coming out of all the maps in PVP but will still be there in VS bots.

WM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users