Photo

You guys did it! I'm impressed. D:U VR is tremendous!

VR Physics

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

RinseCykl

RinseCykl
  • Backer
  • 12 posts

Wingman and crew,

Thanks for living up to your commitment to make a true modern successor of the Descent series. I held off playing early builds for a good year so when I jumped in early access, the mechanics were solid and the basics were done.

It feels awesome. Almost perfect flight physics, gunplay and more I haven't had time to explore yet (only a few hours playing so far since my time is sparse lately). It's paced so well in early access and it's hard which is simply sublime. 

Then I tried it in Vive VR. It is easily my favorite VR experience (the only one available that I truly enjoy sitting at M/KB). It works so well. (GTX 980ti) You can feel the speed of bi / trichording and unlike playing it on a screen, you can look where you're flying sideways!! That's so awesome. Frame stutter due to lack of proper optimization doesn't really bother me much and I am very prone to motion sickness. 

I miss solid sound design (I know it is WIP) but at this stage with the most recent production build, I have the utmost faith that D:U will embrace everything the series was and more. From a life long Descent enthusiast, keep on polishing and constructing a twisted single and multiplayer retro blast of a time.

You have my sincere thanks <3 <3 <3 <3 <3!! 

Rinse

Edit: My only criticism as of what I have played is the ship HUD. Far too complicated and no crosshair in VR. Otherwise this is looking really really good.

Edit2: I also miss being able to set weapon priorities. Maybe it's there? I haven't had much time to dig in to everything.

dunkelza

dunkelza
  • Community ManagerCM
  • 2,730 posts
  • United States

Thank you, RinseCykl!  Welcome to the mines!

The HUD is getting some love soon.

Weapon priorities is also on our to-do list.

Rock on!

-Dunk

P.S. - If you could give us a thumbs-up review on Steam, we'd appreciate that too.

Wingman

Wingman
  • Game DeveloperDev
  • 1,929 posts
  • United States

Wow - posts like these really make us feel great - thanks !

WM

Kickforce

Kickforce
  • Backer
  • 4 posts

maybe a stupid question but how do I get Oculus Rift to work with DU?

Pixley

Pixley
  • Backer
  • 550 posts
  • United States
[dev]

The easiest way is to use the Steam version of the game.  When launched through Steam, it will ask you whether you want to launch with a VR headset (and which one).  To launch in Oculus mode in the standalone version, you'll need to create a new shortcut to the DU launcher.  Right-click on it and select "Properties".  In the "Target" field, add to the end of what's already there a space then "--oculusvr" (no quotes).  Hit "OK", and that shortcut will launch DU in Oculus mode.

[/dev]
Even though I post in dev orange, that doesn't mean you should take my word as gospel. What I say is what I know at time of writing. Programming is, at all times, a learning experience. Things change.

Mardoch

Mardoch
  • Backer
  • 18 posts
  • United States

[dev]

Thank you, RinseCykl!  Welcome to the mines!

The HUD is getting some love soon.

Weapon priorities is also on our to-do list.

Rock on!

-Dunk

P.S. - If you could give us a thumbs-up review on Steam, we'd appreciate that too.

[/dev]

Bump for the Steam lovins. I'd forgotten to do it until you reminded us here.

Kickforce

Kickforce
  • Backer
  • 4 posts

thank you Pixley!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: VR, Physics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users