Xyphon

Xyphon
  • ModeratorMod
  • 321 posts
x2
x2
x2
x2

Defend the Core is a co-op vs bots mode where you defend the core against waves of bots.  For some reason the bots are attacking the core.  If the core gets destroyed, then there is a chance that both the core (and the mine the core is in) will collapse and explode.  However, don't get too close to core!  The radiation surrounding the core will still damage you just as it does in Capture the Core.

Since this is a team based mode, this should be a bit more difficult than the standard vs bots mode.  

Rules are simple:

Defend the core.

You win after all of the waves of bots have been defeated.

If the core is destroyed, then the bots win (and maybe the mine explodes)'

You earn points by destroying the bots or by repairing the core.

Also, there can be a pure PvP version where one player team attacks and one player team defends

Everything I post is as a fan of Descent: Underground except for official statements - which will be written in Moderator Blue

defcon_x

defcon_x
  • Underground
  • 1,450 posts
  • United States
x12
x4

Nice idea.

When you lose, there could be a pre-fashioned darkly humorous cut scene of the mine turning into a mushroom cloud and Wingman's voice booming in a low octave:

YOU LOSE

LINUX OS: MINT 17.X • DESKTOP: CINNAMON 2.X • CPU: i3 • RAM: 8GB • GPU: GTX960 • Thrustmaster T16000M • HELP DE-BUG D:U!

Skeletonbane

Skeletonbane
  • Backer
  • 332 posts
  • United States
x2

It's like the reverse of the original game where the bots try to stop you from destroying the reactor. Except in that, the reactor shoots at you.

Xyphon

Xyphon
  • ModeratorMod
  • 321 posts
x2
x2
x2
x2

It's like the reverse of the original game where the bots try to stop you from destroying the reactor. Except in that, the reactor shoots at you.

Yeah, that's what I was kinda going for.  Question is:  WHY are the bots attacking the core?

Everything I post is as a fan of Descent: Underground except for official statements - which will be written in Moderator Blue

Skeletonbane

Skeletonbane
  • Backer
  • 332 posts
  • United States
x2

Yeah, that's what I was kinda going for.  Question is:  WHY are the bots attacking the core?

Well maybe the core has some value to the players (I mean, why else would we want to mine it in capture the core)? Or maybe it's something other than a core (like a reactor) that we have to protect? If the bots were from some rival corporation or something, it'd seem reasonable that they'd be intent on undermining (or overmining wink.png) the competition.

Xyphon

Xyphon
  • ModeratorMod
  • 321 posts
x2
x2
x2
x2

Yeah it could be something like that.  A rival corp wants to take over the mine, but wants some sort of alibi to cover their tracks.  

I figure the core would be easier to implement since its already in the game rather than creating a new asset for the reactor.

Skeletonbane

Skeletonbane
  • Backer
  • 332 posts
  • United States
x2

I figure the core would be easier to implement since its already in the game rather than creating a new asset for the reactor.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean it has to be the final asset used.

Xyphon

Xyphon
  • ModeratorMod
  • 321 posts
x2
x2
x2
x2

True.  Who knows if the core will remain the same or if there will be reactors added to the game.  I think whether there is a core or reactor should depend on the design of the map.  Older maps will use the core since they are built for that and newer maps can be designed around a reactor (or core).

Void Stalker

Void Stalker
  • ModeratorMod
  • 1,700 posts
  • United States
x2

This is SUCH a wonder idea!  

-Tracy,  Founder, The Tunnel Rats

"Just remember this - it is amazing what can be accomplished when no one cares who gets the credit." -Wingman

Note: Everything I post is as a fan of Descent: Underground except for official statements - which will be written in Moderator Blue.

defcon_x

defcon_x
  • Underground
  • 1,450 posts
  • United States
x12
x4

In D3, there was a level where the enemy is drilling into a base and inserting waves of awful bots and you had to do what you could to stop them from destroying the reactors. We might look at that level and try replaying it to see what stands up to time and what doesn't work for Descent gameplay. We might get ideas. I wonder if Vyper remembers any discussions about the building of that level for the official campaign.

LINUX OS: MINT 17.X • DESKTOP: CINNAMON 2.X • CPU: i3 • RAM: 8GB • GPU: GTX960 • Thrustmaster T16000M • HELP DE-BUG D:U!

Jobode

Jobode
  • Underground
  • 295 posts
  • Germany
x4

Defend the Core is a co-op vs bots mode where you defend the core against waves of bots.

awesome idea, Xyphon!!!!   highfive.gif

PuDLeZ

PuDLeZ
  • Underground
  • 294 posts
  • United States

This does sound fun and will have to wait for the new vs bots/ai to come out but I hope there's more bots per wave depending on the number of players! Some of us are training with the current Prod version ;)

In a mine somewhere going pew pew pew and sometimes boom!

ad free 1080 vids at https://www.youtube....r/pudelz/videos

Twitch https://www.twitch.tv/pudlez

Wingman

Wingman
  • Game DeveloperDev
  • 1,929 posts
  • United States

We have a capture game type already in, why not have the bots try to capture the core, and you and your co-op buddies have to destroy them and maintain core neutrality?

I llke this, going to add it to the wish list.

WM

Xyphon

Xyphon
  • ModeratorMod
  • 321 posts
x2
x2
x2
x2

[dev]

We have a capture game type already in, why not have the bots try to capture the core, and you and your co-op buddies have to destroy them and maintain core neutrality?

I llke this, going to add it to the wish list.

WM

[/dev]

Yes!  That is exactly what I am going for!  I just added the twist that instead of capturing the core, the players will have the option to repair the core.

Wingman

Wingman
  • Game DeveloperDev
  • 1,929 posts
  • United States

Yes!  That is exactly what I am going for!  I just added the twist that instead of capturing the core, the players will have the option to repair the core.

Oh, I like that - for sure, better than what I suggested, we shall see what we can get done.

WM

Xyphon

Xyphon
  • ModeratorMod
  • 321 posts
x2
x2
x2
x2

Sweet,  I look forward to seeing Defend the Core in the game.

Xyphon

Xyphon
  • ModeratorMod
  • 321 posts
x2
x2
x2
x2

Also realized that this idea is kind of a simplified version of GH's idea for a game mode contest:

https://descendentst...ge-2#entry12356

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users