• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

PyroJockey

PyroJockey
  • Backer
  • 1,339 posts
  • United States
x2
I have dusted off my joystick collection and been testing them out on Descent:Underground. I'm posting the settings from the input.ini file for the various devices I've tested.

I've found you can pretty much copy/paste these sections into your input.ini and they will be read without issue. The default location of the input.ini file is:

C:\Users\<login>\AppData\Local\Descent\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\input.ini 

Disclaimer: I am not endorsing this device or recommending it over any other. I am just sharing information on configuring its use with Descent:Underground.

3Dconnexion Spaceball 5000 FLX (with Orbduino Orb Shield)
28m1r5.jpg

The 3Dconnexion Spaceball 5000 FLX is a legacy top level 6DOF input device from 3Dconnexion (a division of Logitech). These can be found branded with various OEM logos such as IBM, HP and COMPAQ. The device has full 6 degrees of motion and twelve programmable buttons. The Spaceball 5000 FLX was available in both serial and USB versions.

NOTE: The USB version is not properly recognized by Descent:Underground. If you bind any axis of the USB version you will find yourself spinning out of control in-game.

The serial version can be used with Descent:Underground but it requires the use of a serial to USB converter.

The Orbduino Orb Shield is a Arduino shield kit developed by Victor Putz that allows the use of the serial Spaceball as a USB game controller.

2crm44z.jpg

The Spaceball is recognized by Windows as a 6-axis joystick with up to 16 buttons.(The additional buttons need to be programmed into the Arduino and I will not delve into that here).

4j3iwo.jpg

The device can then be recognized and bound as a 6-axis joystick in Descent:Underground.

AxisConfig=(AxisKeyName="Joystick_Spaceorb/Spaceball_Axis0",AxisProperties=(DeadZone=0.000000,Sensitivity=1.000000,Exponent=1.000000,bInvert=False))
AxisConfig=(AxisKeyName="Joystick_Spaceorb/Spaceball_Axis1",AxisProperties=(DeadZone=0.000000,Sensitivity=1.000000,Exponent=1.000000,bInvert=True))
AxisConfig=(AxisKeyName="Joystick_Spaceorb/Spaceball_Axis2",AxisProperties=(DeadZone=0.000000,Sensitivity=2.000000,Exponent=1.000000,bInvert=True))
AxisConfig=(AxisKeyName="Joystick_Spaceorb/Spaceball_Axis3",AxisProperties=(DeadZone=0.000000,Sensitivity=1.000000,Exponent=1.000000,bInvert=False))
AxisConfig=(AxisKeyName="Joystick_Spaceorb/Spaceball_Axis4",AxisProperties=(DeadZone=0.000000,Sensitivity=1.000000,Exponent=1.000000,bInvert=True))
AxisConfig=(AxisKeyName="Joystick_Spaceorb/Spaceball_Axis5",AxisProperties=(DeadZone=0.000000,Sensitivity=1.000000,Exponent=1.000000,bInvert=False))
AxisMappings=(AxisName="Strafe",Key=Joystick_Spaceorb/Spaceball_Axis0,Scale=1.000000)
AxisMappings=(AxisName="Forward / Reverse",Key=Joystick_Spaceorb/Spaceball_Axis1,Scale=1.000000)
AxisMappings=(AxisName="Slide Up / Down",Key=Joystick_Spaceorb/Spaceball_Axis2,Scale=1.000000)
AxisMappings=(AxisName="Pitch",Key=Joystick_Spaceorb/Spaceball_Axis3,Scale=1.000000)
AxisMappings=(AxisName="Roll",Key=Joystick_Spaceorb/Spaceball_Axis4,Scale=1.000000)
AxisMappings=(AxisName="Yaw",Key=Joystick_Spaceorb/Spaceball_Axis5,Scale=1.000000)
ActionMappings=(ActionName="Equip Laser Cannon",Key=Joystick_Spaceorb/Spaceball_Button0,bShift=False,bCtrl=False,bAlt=False,bCmd=False)
ActionMappings=(ActionName="Equip Vulcan Cannon",Key=Joystick_Spaceorb/Spaceball_Button1,bShift=False,bCtrl=False,bAlt=False,bCmd=False)
ActionMappings=(ActionName="Equip Shrapnel Cannon",Key=Joystick_Spaceorb/Spaceball_Button2,bShift=False,bCtrl=False,bAlt=False,bCmd=False)
ActionMappings=(ActionName="Equip Plasma Gun",Key=Joystick_Spaceorb/Spaceball_Button3,bShift=False,bCtrl=False,bAlt=False,bCmd=False)
ActionMappings=(ActionName="Deploy Gadget",Key=Joystick_Spaceorb/Spaceball_Button6,bShift=False,bCtrl=False,bAlt=False,bCmd=False)
ActionMappings=(ActionName="Afterburner",Key=Joystick_Spaceorb/Spaceball_Button7,bShift=False,bCtrl=False,bAlt=False,bCmd=False)
ActionMappings=(ActionName="Use Tool",Key=Joystick_Spaceorb/Spaceball_Button8,bShift=False,bCtrl=False,bAlt=False,bCmd=False)
ActionMappings=(ActionName="Cycle Tool Forward",Key=Joystick_Spaceorb/Spaceball_Button10,bShift=False,bCtrl=False,bAlt=False,bCmd=False)
ActionMappings=(ActionName="Cycle Gadget Forward",Key=Joystick_Spaceorb/Spaceball_Button11,bShift=False,bCtrl=False,bAlt=False,bCmd=False)

The Orbduino has since been discontinued and replaced by the Orbotron 9000. Unfortunately the Orbotron 9000 has also been discontinued and at the time of this writing its replacement has not yet been released. At this point I have no way of knowing if the bindings for the Orbotron 9000 or its replacement will be the same as the Orbduino.

There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish

noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow stuff up.
jgrs60.jpg

Note: Everything I post is as a fan of Descent: Underground except for off-color statements - which will be written in PyroJockey Plum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users