• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Swingarm1032

Swingarm1032
  • Backer
  • 374 posts
  • United States
x3

I am starting a thread on the sharing of user-made UE4 assets.

The assets would be made in an external 3D modeling program (Blender, Maya, 3DS Max, etc.)

To start I would like to share a particular item I have been working on.  It is a modular type support brace, where there are 4 different .uasset files, one for the sizes of 10, 20, 40, & 80 meters. 

I am starting the thread at the idea of another user (and fine 3D modeler), defcon_x.

The link to the support brace file is (dropbox domain)

https://www.dropbox....ces_DU.zip?dl=0

anyone who has built any assets and is looking to share them is welcome to use this thread.

EDIT:  Anyone is welcome to download and even modify these assets for use in their own maps and environments.  I only also ask that they be restricted to D:U purposes and not other games...

Edited by Swingarm1032, 23 February 2016 - 01:33 PM.

My Claws must need sharpening...

defcon_x

defcon_x
  • Underground
  • 1,565 posts
  • United States
x4

^

The model above is viewable here:

QWd_Ub_EW.jpg

Nice work, Swingarm! Very Descent-y. What are your permissions on this? Is it okay for anyone to use for their Descent: Underground maps? smile.png

---

I will also post the few things I have made so far. Feel free to modify them if they're not right in some way, since this is a pretty new craft for me.

This is called "temple_relay" because of its map but it is meant to have four lights, emit steam and noise from the vent. My attempt at following the directions for Unreal manifested as:

• It's *.FXB.
  • All the planes are triangles.
  • The collision layers are named UBX_temple_relay_XX.

temple_relay_1.jpg

Concept: "Vent" 5-10m

You can grab the file here: http://www.filedropper.com/templerelay (330k)

---

Map asset: large wall bracer (50-70m)

This is something seen in large caverns indicating a very deep puncture into a mountain face that is seen as unuseful to mine into but is in some danger of collapse without bracing. In other words, it's there to just keep a cliff face in place. It's a kind of long pole with a shock-absorbing dampener on the end. Of course, the player only sees the dampener end that is attached with some giant machinery, since the long piece is deep in the rocky surface. And so here is that visible piece. Optionally destructible too.

They can be placed flat side against a rocky surface, at random angles, in any given cavern wall to create the effect that very large machinery has stabilized that cliff or mountain or cave wall. Just from a graphics standpoint, there should probably only need to be at most one for every 40 sq. km of surface area. (roughly 200m x 200m)

temple_bracer_1.jpg

File can be gotten here: http://www.filedropper.com/bracer_1 (640k)

---

Here is the latest thing. It is kind of like the one Swingarm made, but it's a beam/pipe/network thing meant to transfer stuff through the mines. The pipes may be load bearing but they may just be tubes for liquid or gas. It has a modular principle, where you can Lego them together in a string to span an area. The joint where the thing intersects with a mineral wall could be something else I should make, but please see if it's useful first, and I'll know how to modify it from there.

Map asset: IT beam (the concept is 10m-20m x 50-100m or something in that range, so like tunnel or drone girth)
temple_beam.jpg

You can get the file here: http://www.filedropp...om/templebeam_1 (225k)

NOTE: None of these things I made are official assets, nor should they be expected to be anything but placeholders, but please feel free to modify/change/update/fix them if you put them in maps that Descendent Studios want to use, or to add to custom D:U maps of your own.

I don't care if Descendent Studios makes profit off them, uses them, changes them or edits them in any way. I only ask that map builders please use these assets for Descent: Underground levels first rather than for other games, until some time has passed and it's shown that these assets won't be used in the game -- since the reason I made them is to offer them for this game to try to help make it successful and contribute to its community. If you want to color them, texturize them or modify them for the game, please re-post them here in the D:U community.

Even though I don't care if they are used outside the purposes of this game, I highly recommend people who post assets here also take on a magnanimous attitude in favor of Descendent Studios and the D:U fans/map builders. Thanks.

LINUX OS: MINT 17.X • DESKTOP: CINNAMON 2.X • CPU: i3 • RAM: 8GB • GPU: GTX960 • Thrustmaster T16000M • 

Running D:U at resolution 1920x1080 unless otherwise noted in reports

defcon_x

defcon_x
  • Underground
  • 1,565 posts
  • United States
x4

Also, if anyone has any requests for other assets, I am more than happy to take a crack at it, as long as you are fine with it being another open source thing anyone can use.

LINUX OS: MINT 17.X • DESKTOP: CINNAMON 2.X • CPU: i3 • RAM: 8GB • GPU: GTX960 • Thrustmaster T16000M • 

Running D:U at resolution 1920x1080 unless otherwise noted in reports

Goznik

Goznik
  • Backer
  • 197 posts
  • Israel

A cool thread and cool assets. I'll make some as well. I want to make new hallways.

Swingarm1032

Swingarm1032
  • Backer
  • 374 posts
  • United States
x3

I have come up with another concept for a custom asset - A [better] fan:  I am going to model it after the fan texture in the D1/D2 Textures; the main size would be about 10 units deep x 20x20 in profile.  Furthermore, I noticed that the existing fan does not have really visible blades. 

As an interesting project for later; perhaps animation to a rotating fan would be cool as wellsmile.png

EDIT/UPDATE: The main fan assembly (The Blades and the conical part around the blades are done (As of 9:40 AM CST on Feb 23)

Swingarm1032

Swingarm1032
  • Backer
  • 374 posts
  • United States
x3

The Fan Unit is completed (For Now)

It is available on Dropbox - URL:  https://www.dropbox....x20x10.zip?dl=0

I have also loaded a preview image (3 orthographic views + isometric view) on imgur - URL:  http://imgur.com/Pfic9g8

Again the size of the fan unit is 20 meters wide x 20 meters high and 10 meters deep

Issues concerning the file:  I have not yet figured out how to make a multi element (multi texture) assembly, the fan is ione single LOD - In the future I would like to separate the box from the blade assembly.  also, doing this would help to enable future animation.

Again feel free to use the uasset in your maps, and even modify it as well, however just keep in mind that it is for D:U purposes only. 

EDIT:  I am posting a collage of images from 3DS Max below:

NP6m6KC.png

Swingarm1032

Swingarm1032
  • Backer
  • 374 posts
  • United States
x3

My latest project (It will be listed here when it is done) is to build more rocky surfaces into mine walls (and ceilings/floors)

The method to do this was from a D3Edit tutorial on modeling interesting rock faces. 

To do this, I create a 10x10 grid of squares, (I use 10 because of size divisibility)  and moving the verts on the corners in random directions. 

I however to promote good tiling efforts as well as usability with other pieces, I leave the outermost verts in the default position. 

Using this so far I have created 2 parts: 1 standard wall tile, and a corner tile. 

You can also see a screenshot from UE4 that shows the implantation of these walls in a small room with lighting. 

URL:  http://imgur.com/wpzoQ1A

I think that the image looks quite neat and the rock faces are rather interesting...

Crazymanc

Crazymanc
  • 11 posts
  • United States

im happy to make custom pieces to order for people that are not that knowledgeable about 3d

if you think you want some bits and bots let me know

Swingarm1032

Swingarm1032
  • Backer
  • 374 posts
  • United States
x3

The first set of rock walls are available for download on dropbox;

https://www.dropbox....lls_1B.zip?dl=0

EDIT:  A texture issue was found in the 'half' wall, thus the link above is the fixed version. 

Included are: (1) 20 x 20 meter standard wall section, (1) 20 x 10 meter half section, and (1) diagonal wall section. 

These parts are open source (.fbx included) and are for anyone who would desire to use them in their maps, just keeping in mind to limit the usage to D:U Purposes.

Edited by Swingarm1032, 24 February 2016 - 09:26 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Maps, Custom Assets, Level Kit, Mods

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users