New 6DOF Game from Original Descent Creators

• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

deathwinger

deathwinger
  • Backer
  • 26 posts
  • Trinidad and Tobago

Not sure if this has been posted as yet. But saw this across on the Sol Contingency forums. 

Looks like there is another 6DOF game to look forward to in the works. Especially from one of the creators of the original Descent.  The stage is opening up. Exciting times ahead. :)

vision

vision
  • Backer
  • 23 posts
  • United States
That looks kick ass.

Void Stalker

Void Stalker
  • ModeratorMod
  • 1,700 posts
  • United States
x2
I lik the special effects.

-Tracy,  Founder, The Tunnel Rats

"Just remember this - it is amazing what can be accomplished when no one cares who gets the credit." -Wingman

Note: Everything I post is as a fan of Descent: Underground except for official statements - which will be written in Moderator Blue.

TwoCables

TwoCables
  • Backer
  • 462 posts
  • United States

http://www.playoverload.com/ (if you're asked for a password, then it's "overload")

They have a slightly bigger version of the video in the OP on their Media page (at the bottom of the page):

http://www.playoverload.com/media/

PyroJockey

PyroJockey
  • Backer
  • 927 posts
  • United States
x2
Pretty exciting stuff.

There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish

noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow stuff up.
Posted Image

[font=arial]Note: Everything I post is as a fan of Descent: Underground except for off-color statements - which will be written in PyroJockey Plum[/font][font=arial].[/font]

Wingman

Wingman
  • Game DeveloperDev
  • 1,950 posts
  • United States

Moving to "More games" - we have known about this for some time. 

Looking forward to it.

WM

Hunter

Hunter
  • Backer
  • 108 posts
  • South Korea

Very good news from Matt and Mike :) This could be a great year for Descent.

Goznik

Goznik
  • Backer
  • 197 posts
  • Israel

I'm not sure what to think, I'm still processing it.

It does look exciting , but the first thing it reminded me is sub-level zero.

It is a bit too cartoonish.

TwoCables

TwoCables
  • Backer
  • 462 posts
  • United States

I'm not sure what to think, I'm still processing it.

It does look exciting , but the first thing it reminded me is sub-level zero.

It is a bit too cartoonish.

What? Descent 1 and 2 were cartoonish too. This is the same thing. Heck, so was Descent 3. This is basically all 3 of them in 1 game due to who's working on it.

Goznik

Goznik
  • Backer
  • 197 posts
  • Israel

What? Descent 1 and 2 were cartoonish too. This is the same thing. Heck, so was Descent 3. This is basically all 3 of them in 1 game due to who's working on it.

Yea but only 20 years later.

Look at the progression from Doom1 to Doom 4, that is the kind of progression I was expecting, well maybe not as good as Doom 4 , but the progression DU made.

I mean, look at this bot:

icon_bladesB-150x150.png

This is not a bot from a triple-A game in 2016.

Incendius on the  other hand, is:

2hiccg0.jpg

TwoCables

TwoCables
  • Backer
  • 462 posts
  • United States

Maybe they're not trying to make a Triple-A game. Also, you're judging their game way too early. Look at the changes D:U has undergone.

Goznik

Goznik
  • Backer
  • 197 posts
  • Israel

Maybe they're not trying to make a Triple-A game. Also, you're judging their game way too early. Look at the changes D:U has undergone.

I'm not judging it yet.

as I said: "I'm not sure what to think, I'm still processing it."

I just showed my concerns about the direction its taking. Each has his own preferences about style for Descent, mine are "realistic", for others its "cartoonish".

Btw, there is no question about it , I AM backing it.

Edit, btw2 Descent 1 and 2 looks cartoonish to you today , for me as a child in 96 at that era of graphics, it didnt look cartoonish.

Whiteshark

Whiteshark
  • Backer
  • 527 posts
  • Finland
x2

They use cubes to build the maps. Similarly the bots won't be the highest detailed ones, actually I don't think they are even going for d3 kind of detailed textures. It could look really great, but currently it does look cartoony to me too. Unity 5 is the engine.

What they are really doing is a d1/d2 revival. It's very different from D:U, although I don't think it's going to be as retro as the classic modes we are looking for in D:U.

Also, this is in the faq

"We understand that multiplayer is hugely important, but we made the decision to focus initially on creating a rich and full single­-player experience. We hope to develop a standalone multiplayer version in the future."

Wouldn't it be easier to read if this was on Comic Sans?

TwoCables

TwoCables
  • Backer
  • 462 posts
  • United States

I'm not judging it yet.

as I said: "I'm not sure what to think, I'm still processing it."

I just showed my concerns about the direction its taking. Each has his own preferences about style for Descent, mine are "realistic", for others its "cartoonish".

Btw, there is no question about it , I AM backing it.

Edit, btw2 Descent 1 and 2 looks cartoonish to you today , for me as a child in 96 at that era of graphics, it didnt look cartoonish.

I can see now that Descent was never about being realistic. It was always rather cartoonish, but I never thought so in the 90s. I'm not expressing my opinion, I'm just saying what Descent 1, 2 and 3 was. That's all.

I love both directions here: D:U and Overload. I never once thought to myself in D:U, "geez this is too realistic". I LOVE the realism and the graphics, but I also love what's being presented by Revival Productions. There's a realism with the graphics combined with the somewhat cartoonish element. It's much more like what D1 and D2 and D3 is. There's a very strong feeling of a fantasy world but with great graphics. That lighting is very nice. Oh, and the graphics they are presenting right now are far better than what's in Sublevel Zero. I'm not seeing a similarity to that game. From my limited experience in Sublevel Zero, it feels like I'm stuck in that old computer in TRON 2.0.

Anyway, you are judging it. If you weren't judging it, then you wouldn't be saying that their bot isn't from a Triple-A game in 2016. You are judging it as though it's supposed to be a Triple-A game. You're comparing it judgmentally to D:U, and that's not fair because it's too early to do any judging or to make any comparisons. Let's just wait and see. I also feel that they aren't trying to compete at all; they are just trying to create what they want to create. It's all art, and it's beautiful.

I never said that D1 and D2 looked cartoonish to me in the 90s. I'm saying that Overload is trying to look like D1 and D2 and even D3 with greatly improved graphics, and that's why it looks cartoonish to you. It's a fantasy world. Yes, D:U is too, but it's a different kind and there's an attempt at having strong realism.

Also, this is in the faq

"We understand that multiplayer is hugely important, but we made the decision to focus initially on creating a rich and full single­-player experience. We hope to develop a standalone multiplayer version in the future."

I think this is a very wise decision on their part since D:U is multiplayer-only right now.

Goznik

Goznik
  • Backer
  • 197 posts
  • Israel

Anyway, you are judging it.

Nope judging also mean getting to a verdict, I'm far from there.

Btw 56/A : This picture looks amazing to me.

TwoCables

TwoCables
  • Backer
  • 462 posts
  • United States

Nope judging also mean getting to a verdict, I'm far from there.

Btw 56/A : This picture looks amazing to me.

Your verdict is that this is supposed to be a Triple-A game. We don't know that yet. We don't know what level they're shooting for.

Anyway, everything looks amazing to me. If this is what they have SO FAR, then I'm going to be in space game heaven between D:U and Overload.

Goznik

Goznik
  • Backer
  • 197 posts
  • Israel

Your verdict is that this is supposed to be a Triple-A game. We don't know that yet. We don't know what level they're shooting for.

Anyway, everything looks amazing to me. If this is what they have SO FAR, then I'm going to be in space game heaven between D:U and Overload.

I compared their polygonish bot to incendius from D:U which to me looks much better.

D:U is a low budget indie game with a fan made bot, hardly a triple A production.

I'll be clearer: It is too early to judge but I am a bit concerned about the style choice which is not my prefered style. I will wait and see where it goes.

TwoCables

TwoCables
  • Backer
  • 462 posts
  • United States

I compared their polygonish bot to incendius from D:U which to me looks much better.

D:U is a low budget indie game with a fan made bot, hardly a triple A production.

I'll be clearer: It is too early to judge but I am a bit concerned about the style choice which is not my prefered style. I will wait and see where it goes.

Yeah, I'm not going to say anything about it except for what I like about it. I already have some things I don't like about it, but the Kickstarter hasn't even started yet.

Anyway, Eric and everyone else at Descendent Studios has been very clear that their goal is to make a true Triple-A game, or at least Triple-A quality. Of course, they can't even be close to Triple-A at this early stage of development.

Goznik

Goznik
  • Backer
  • 197 posts
  • Israel

Yeah, I'm not going to say anything about it except for what I like about it. I already have some things I don't like about it, but the Kickstarter hasn't even started yet.

Yep , me too, and I cant wait to see the kickstarter campaign.

Anyway, Eric and everyone else at Descendent Studios has been very clear that their goal is to make a true Triple-A game, or at least Triple-A quality. Of course, they can't even be close to Triple-A at this early stage of development.

I'm very happy for that, I love D:U's style.

TwoCables

TwoCables
  • Backer
  • 462 posts
  • United States

Yep , me too, and I cant wait to see the kickstarter campaign.

I'm excited too. This will be my first time I've ever done something like this! I don't know how much I'll put into the Kickstarter yet, but I want to jump in as soon as it starts.

I'm very happy for that, I love D:U's style.

Yeah, the first D:U video I saw left my jaw on the floor. I'll still sometimes take test flights just to admire the beauty. Oh and when I'm in Vs. Bots and a bot gets stuck and stops shooting, sometimes I'll just sit there admiring how awesome it looks - almost like I could touch it.

Then to have this different offering with Overload and the fact that it's going to be single-player only to start with.. omg. I thought that games like this would never make a comeback. This is surreal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users