Photo

Tips on getting Descent 3 running

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Agent005

Agent005
  • 19 posts
  • United States

Those of you who might have read some of my earlier posts might know that since I first heard about D:U, I've been going back and finally beating all of the old Descents. I've already finished the first two and I dug up my old Descent 3 disc set that I've owned since who the heck knows when. I managed to get around the problem of the installer not firing by booting in safe mode and running it that way, but I haven't had any luck actually playing the game. I've only made it as far as the main menu. If I try doing a mission, the game minimizes itself to the task bar. If I click on the icon, my screen resolution will resize to the game's resolution but will stay on the desktop. I can hear game audio but all I see is my desktop.

I'm not sure this is the right place for a question like this, but can you guys give me any advice for getting Descent 3 working on Windows 10? Or is installing Windows XP on a virtual machine or second hard drive my only recourse? I feel like I'm so close to getting this game running, but I just can't get it to stop minimizing. I would be so disappointed if I wasn't able to finish off the original trilogy because of technical problems.

Alkahest

Alkahest
  • Underground
  • 158 posts

http://steamcommunit...38052803904620/

Is any of this any help? :)

(Courtesy of Lady Silver)

Back from hiatus!

Do you has? Do you?!

CDN_Merlin

CDN_Merlin
  • Backer
  • 154 posts

http://www.descentbb...php?f=8&t=16700

Beta tested:
Game Stock Car 2012, Diablo 3, Descent 3 1.5 Patch, C&C Generals, Independance War 2, Starfleet Command 2, Settlers IV,Tzar, Allegiance, Starfleet Command, MAX 2, Defiance

ASUS Z170-P, Core I7-6700K, Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO Universal CPU Cooler, Gigabyte GF GTX970 OC 4GB GDDR5,
Crucial 16GB (2x8) 2133MHz DDR4,  Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5" SATA3 SSD, Western Digital Black 1 TB, ASUS DVD Burner, ASUS 27" Monitor, Fractal Design Define R5 Mid-Tower Case Black, Thermaltake ToughPower Gold 750 Watt Power Supply, Win 10 64Bit

Agent005

Agent005
  • 19 posts
  • United States

http://steamcommunit...38052803904620/

Is any of this any help? :)

(Courtesy of Lady Silver)

Afraid not. I already looked at that thread and tried the suggestions a few days ago, only to still run into the same problem of the game constantly minimizing. I messaged Descent on the website I was referred to to get my download for the fixed version of Descent 3, but I've been told they're having problems with the site and it may take a few days to get my download.

Void Stalker

Void Stalker
  • ModeratorMod
  • 1,700 posts
  • United States
x2

Moving to the Classic Descent Forum.

-Tracy,  Founder, The Tunnel Rats

"Just remember this - it is amazing what can be accomplished when no one cares who gets the credit." -Wingman

Note: Everything I post is as a fan of Descent: Underground except for official statements - which will be written in Moderator Blue.

CDN_Merlin

CDN_Merlin
  • Backer
  • 154 posts

Agent005, did you look at the link I posted?

Beta tested:
Game Stock Car 2012, Diablo 3, Descent 3 1.5 Patch, C&C Generals, Independance War 2, Starfleet Command 2, Settlers IV,Tzar, Allegiance, Starfleet Command, MAX 2, Defiance

ASUS Z170-P, Core I7-6700K, Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO Universal CPU Cooler, Gigabyte GF GTX970 OC 4GB GDDR5,
Crucial 16GB (2x8) 2133MHz DDR4,  Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5" SATA3 SSD, Western Digital Black 1 TB, ASUS DVD Burner, ASUS 27" Monitor, Fractal Design Define R5 Mid-Tower Case Black, Thermaltake ToughPower Gold 750 Watt Power Supply, Win 10 64Bit

Mickey1

Mickey1
  • Backer
  • 90 posts
  • United States

Since you have a copy of D3 you can use the one step install at this site. You register tell them you have a license for D3. Download the package(one file at a time helps. Then install. I use 7 pro don't know about 10 but check it out.  http://www.dateilist.../descent-3.html Come to Subway Dancer we need more targets.

Vauss you soon.

Agent005

Agent005
  • 19 posts
  • United States

Agent005, did you look at the link I posted?

Not yet. I haven't had a great deal of time to mess around with trying to get D3 running since school started. I'd rather play something that works and have fun, than mess around with something that isn't working and get frustrated, you know? But I will give it another go soon enough. I'm determined to get this bloody thing working.

Also, I have put in a request for the one-step installer on the website a couple of you have shown me. Only problem is, I got a message from one of the admins saying they're having some trouble and it may take some time for me to get the installer (he didn't give any specifics). So I have no idea when or even if I can get it.

roncli

roncli
  • Underground
  • 155 posts
x24

I used DxWnd today for the first time and it got D3 working wonderfully, whereas before it was luck whether it worked or not.

-roncli    Twitch: roncli     Twitter: @roncli    YouTube: roncli     Battle.Net: roncli#1818     Homepage: roncli.com

Host on the Self-Destruct Sequence Podcast, a podcast all about Descent facebook.com/sdspodcast

Host on the Six Gaming Podcast, a podcast all about gaming, Saturdays 8pm PT/11pm ET facebook.com/SixGamingGG

Agent005

Agent005
  • 19 posts
  • United States

So I just got the email from the guys at Dateiliste that I'm being given the green light for the one-step installer. Installed the game just a few minutes ago and... still running into the same issue of not being able to see the game window. I got it working briefly, then made the mistake of trying to change the resolution to get rid of the black bars around my screen. Now I can't get it to work anymore. Whelp, guess I'm going to be tinkering with it for a while longer before I can get it to a playable state. Ugh, Interplay, Parallax, whoever the heck owns the rights to this franchise, please just release the source code for Descent 3 already.

I used DxWnd today for the first time and it got D3 working wonderfully, whereas before it was luck whether it worked or not.

Could you describe what you did in more detail? I feel like the solution to this problem is staring me right in the face.

Quick Update: I GOT IT RUNNING! Well, sort of. I had to change the resolution from the default 1600x1200 to something lower. It has ugly black bars on the top and bottom of the screen and creates a weird fish-eye effect when I turn, but at least I can actually play the game now. Only a couple other problems to solve: For starters, the framerate is incredibly choppy despite my system specs being enough to probably run 30 separate instances of this game without any slowdown. Second, there's either a very noticeable amount of input delay, or the ships in D3 move like they're flying through maple syrup. Lastly, I can hear a lot of static whenever any sound is playing.

Hunter

Hunter
  • Backer
  • 108 posts
  • South Korea

Sounds like you need more tweaking. First, turn off high quality sound -  use low.

It also sounds like you need to set the correct aspect settings for your game. I have a modern system too, but I have to dumb down D3 somewhat to work properly.

Also I had to use a modified main.exe (the main game executable) to get D3 working in 32-bit (newer gpus can't display old games properly).

This is the command line I use (my desktop is 1920x1080) for D3:

-z32bit -framecap 60 -nointro -nooutragelogo -nosparkles -nocompress -width 1280 -height 720 -aspect 1.78 -usesmoothing -nomotionblur -subpixelcorrect -bumped -nocompress

Some of them are personal choices ofcourse, others due to compatibility. Use OpenGL.

Be sure to patch your game to 1.4; and if you want to receive the modified EXE let me know.

Also you may need to create a profile for D3 in your graphic control panel application. I had the same 'jumping' problem like you describe and I had to turn some features off to stop it.

EDIT: For reference here is what I've tweaked in the Nvidia Control Panel:

*Rendering Frames: 1

*Use single display mode

*Buffering: Off

*Vsync: Off (use command line for it)

*Anti-aliasing: Override programs

*Anti-aliasing Setting: 8x

*Anti-aliasing 8x with super sampling

*Gamma correction: On

The rest are defaults.

Agent005

Agent005
  • 19 posts
  • United States

Sounds like you need more tweaking. First, turn off high quality sound -  use low.

It also sounds like you need to set the correct aspect settings for your game. I have a modern system too, but I have to dumb down D3 somewhat to work properly.

Also I had to use a modified main.exe (the main game executable) to get D3 working in 32-bit (newer gpus can't display old games properly).

This is the command line I use (my desktop is 1920x1080) for D3:

-z32bit -framecap 60 -nointro -nooutragelogo -nosparkles -nocompress -width 1280 -height 720 -aspect 1.78 -usesmoothing -nomotionblur -subpixelcorrect -bumped -nocompress

Some of them are personal choices ofcourse, others due to compatibility. Use OpenGL.

Be sure to patch your game to 1.4; and if you want to receive the modified EXE let me know.

Also you may need to create a profile for D3 in your graphic control panel application. I had the same 'jumping' problem like you describe and I had to turn some features off to stop it.

EDIT: For reference here is what I've tweaked in the Nvidia Control Panel:

*Rendering Frames: 1

*Use single display mode

*Buffering: Off

*Vsync: Off (use command line for it)

*Anti-aliasing: Override programs

*Anti-aliasing Setting: 8x

*Anti-aliasing 8x with super sampling

*Gamma correction: On

The rest are defaults.

Much obliged. I think I've pretty much got the game to a stable, working state. For some weird reason, when it starts doing that minimizing thing, opening and closing the task manager seems to rectify it most of the time. I'm wondering if it would be best to take Roncli's advice and get DxWnd and just run the game in windowed mode, so I don't have a minor heart attack every time the screen goes black.

Except... I don't remember the ships in D3 handling like this. It feels like I'm driving a car; it takes a while to speed up, and it takes a while to stop. Is it something to do with the framerate, or is that how D3 has always handled? (Granted, the last time I played D3 was in middle school, which was close to 10 years ago)

Hunter

Hunter
  • Backer
  • 108 posts
  • South Korea

D3 ships should handle like jet fighters... So there might be something wrong on your end ;)

Mickey1

Mickey1
  • Backer
  • 90 posts
  • United States

Agent005 There is a game of Subway Dancer most days some time between 11:30 AM EST to 1:30 PM EST.  Fun most days.

Here is a practice session with primaries.

Hunter

Hunter
  • Backer
  • 108 posts
  • South Korea

I should add that the Hunter that plays in Subway isn't me. ;)

Mickey1

Mickey1
  • Backer
  • 90 posts
  • United States

Are you sure? Lo0ks like you.

We can handle two Hunters wink.png

Vauss you soon.

Hunter could have used your help today

)     Mickey1                     100[100]    34[34]      13[13]     0[0]     
2)     tagyman                     32[32]      12[12]      16[16]     1[1]     
3)     Hunter                      30[30]      12[12]      29[29]     1[1]

Hunter

Hunter
  • Backer
  • 108 posts
  • South Korea

Nah I don't play multiplayer often these days - Wrong time zone really. I used to play all the time back in the early days 1999~2006 (as clan UK or clan WAX), and in CTF games back in 2008-2010. The only time I played recently was in Lady Silver's matches (as either Hunter, Megathron or some other name I forget) smile.png

There are three Hunters I'm aware of. One is DE-Hunter from Germany, bald guy who didn't play much.

The other is this subway Hunter. I don't think he/she played back in the early days.

The third is me. I'm the Hunter that posts on all the forums and created the levels/mods for D3. :)

There might be a fourth Hunter from the Kali days, but that doesn't count since they vanished.

Money

Money
  • Backer
  • 10 posts
  • United States
Agent, try adjusting your keyboard ramping (found in the main menu in d3) down to .20, may help with the sluggish feeling.

"It's never over" - Birdseye 

Drekko

Drekko
  • 4 posts
  • Australia

HEy guys

I am trying to get this working... I keep getting Error : Unable to find version key for Descent 3

Cant find anything on google sad.png

Banditt

Banditt
  • Backer
  • 14 posts
  • United States

It looks like the Dateiliste website has been shut down.  I keep getting "Error 403 access denied" when I try to visit the site.  downforeveryoneorjustme.com can't see it either.  A domain lookup on ICANN WHOIS shows the most recent update to the dateiliste.com domain occurred on 2016 March 15.  (Beware the Ides of March!)  I suspect that date is when the site got shut down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users