Photo

Descent fan from the beginning willing to help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

CraZZyEddie

CraZZyEddie
  • 9 posts
  • United States

I'm an original descent player that followed the genera from I to  II and  III.

I come from way back in the dos days and I remember my first voodoo card.

I have 15+ years C++ experience ranging from MSDOS, Windows, OS2 and some cross-platform work moving server code to AIX.

I also have 12+ years C# working with some web but mostly windows smart client code.  

I currently work on a design package used by a very huge retailer that includes WPF, DirectX and OpenGL code for 3D rendering.  While I am not a 3D expert I have worked with the technology for quite a while.  My primary platform of choice has been Microsoft platforms.  As of late I have also been experimenting with Unity3D on the side.  

I also at one time built Quake III plugins that provided autofire, a jetpack and variable speed homing missiles.  The missles had a unique feature they they started super slow and once they found a target sped up.  This allowed a balance for the autofire BFG.  You could effectively mine a room with missiles that would creep along until someone entered the room.  My friend was also a little dismayed when I added selective targeting on the missiles.  You could also give the missiles a hint that if there were multiple targets to prefer a particular player.  When the missiles found a preferred player they would announce the find onto the multiplayer window. I remember my friend wailing about WTF is a Brian missile.

In the early PC days I also worked with a team building some of the very first games for original IBM pc.  We were doing coin-op conversions of games for Konami and Taito.  Looking back on things they really suck but the platform really sucked also.  My primary job back then was doing graphics with deluxe paint from EA however I did have my hand in some of the Amiga code also.

I'm not sure how I can help.

But I love descent and would love to give any assistance I can.

-Chris

dunkelza

dunkelza
  • Community ManagerCM
  • 3,007 posts
  • United States

Cool! Welcome to the adventure, CraZZyEddie!

I've passed this thread over to Stormwind to see what sorts of volunteer opportunities we might have.

In the meantime, you might want to download the free Unreal Engine 4 editor. It's the engine we're built on, so it will likely be the basis of our modding and such as well.

CraZZyEddie

CraZZyEddie
  • 9 posts
  • United States

Thanks, Didn't realize they had a free version..

I will grab it. 

Are you guys using Visual Studio? 

Any source control system (GIT/TFS) ?

-Chris

CraZZyEddie

CraZZyEddie
  • 9 posts
  • United States

do you guys need build help?? I don't know what environment you are using but I have done a lot of work in the continuous integration area.

I built an awesome system, for my current job that includes build, web deployment, code signing with an EV certificate ( you need these to get rid of the windows 8 smartscreen warning)

I would be happy to help setup a build server as this is something that is often deprioritized.

Anyways.. just an idea... since I haven't heard anything.

Any chance of me being able to checkout the source?

-Chris

optikal86

optikal86
  • Backer
  • 12 posts
  • United States
Just to let you know, Unreal Engine 4 is free for all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users