Photo

Coolest Descent: Underground Streams & Videos?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Skeletonbane

Skeletonbane
  • Backer
  • 332 posts
  • United States
x2

Haha, I wonder why that is. Personally, I think it looks like a dragonfly, but maybe that's just me.

Anyways, I'm glad you liked the video, I definitely am finding as I share my work that I'm my own worst critic (which I think is a quote from someone).

Flufball

Flufball
  • Underground
  • 378 posts
  • United Kingdom
x13

I was trying to record some of the more irritating issues that I still suspect are network related but I figured I might as well upload them too. They're set as unlisted on youtube (i.e. you won't find them on a search) as they seem a tad loud for some reason. I don't really understand why as video editing isn't something I am familiar with and my own sound settings are fairly low at the best of times (sensitive to noise etc) but I didn't want to introduce someone to the game by deafening them with noise. I'd appreciate some feedback on that one as I really can't tell if I'm imagining it or not.

Most of these videos miss the start of the match as I tend to forget to press record when I do record things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz6YWl0dpYI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aug0ovLyYU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkiga4EjGYE

Things I have learnt from this play session:

• My computer does not like playing and recording. It chops my framerate in half. I'll need to look into that because really, it should be able to handle it a bit better than it did.
  • Mobius, particularly the Lava room, hates my framerate regardless. Again, unsure as to why. I'll need to look into it.
  • King of the Core is a great game type but it is also the game type that I am least proficient in. I just can't balance mining the core and fighting over it.
  • I still love mini-tycho.
  • That said, I think mini-tycho is wasted on King of the Core as it seems to force all of the fights into the central room, the addition of the core also distorts the directionless feeling, as it provides a specific point to orientate oneself with.
  • Pudlez is as equally deadly in a Typhoon as he is a Panzer but it somehow lacks that intimidating feeling of doom that you get when you see him in the Panzer.
  • Capture the Core, with a good bit of teamwork is actually extremely good fun. Normally I'm very much stuck in DEATH KILL DIE DESTRUCTION mode on CTC and lose track of my surroundings but guarding a player I trusted to mine increased the intensity of fighting for the core. I'm not sure it's the ideal game type but I felt like I had a better idea of where teamplay will end up once everything is in the game and I rather liked it.

It wasn't the best of nights for me as I'd come off several hours of rocket league with cramp in my fingers but I felt I did reasonably well and had fun. :)

Oh and Pudlez, that quick-death incident you were asking about, jump to about 3 minutes 20 on the Valor video. It happens around about then. I can't quite work out how I did it, watching it back. The best I can come up with is the double missiles on the wall behind you but I can't quite be sure.

Apparently I'm only allowed two youtube links. The other three links should work if you click on them.

Skeletonbane

Skeletonbane
  • Backer
  • 332 posts
  • United States
x2

It's been a while, but I finally got around to making another Descent: Underground video.

Quick warning: I curse more in this video than previous ones (though I'm still fairly mild). Devs, just let me know if this is a problem and I can take the video off the forums.

Also, I get quite loud and actually max out my microphone more than once during the video. You may want to turn your volume down. You've been warned...

Skeletonbane

Skeletonbane
  • Backer
  • 332 posts
  • United States
x2

While it isn't a D:U video, I did recently make a video for the original Descent. But since it's not entirely on-topic for this thread, I won't link directly to the video here. Instead, here's a link to the thread where I linked directly to the video.

raptur

raptur
  • Underground
  • 485 posts
  • United States
x3
x3
x2

I saw inspades posted their perspective of our (near) 1v1 on youtube a few days ago, so I've stitched together inspades' perspective and mine into one video. A bit of a change of pace smile.png

Skeletonbane

Skeletonbane
  • Backer
  • 332 posts
  • United States
x2

Made another video, in which I display my skill in the game with a new record. This time I'm playing coop with defcon_x, which is awesome and a ton of fun (as I said many times in the video). smile.png

Plus, I think I nailed the thumbnail this time.

Xysoryum

Xysoryum
  • Backer
  • 1 posts
  • Finland

Going to play much and going to stream much also.

I prefer youtube for better quality than twitch

https://www.youtube....h?v=UQVsEZ6u1EI

dunkelza

dunkelza
  • Community ManagerCM
  • 2,730 posts
  • United States

Going to play much and going to stream much also.

I prefer youtube for better quality than twitch

https://www.youtube....h?v=UQVsEZ6u1EI

Awesome, thank you!

Michelangel0

Michelangel0
  • Backer
  • 16 posts
  • Argentina

Adding a couple of VR frenetic videos ;)

2 friends and I, welcoming another friend into the game for the first time:

Survivor Mode with 2 friends:

dunkelza

dunkelza
  • Community ManagerCM
  • 2,730 posts
  • United States

Rock on!

Stormprooter

Stormprooter
  • Underground
  • 67 posts
  • United Kingdom
x12

Dunkelza has created a great blog entry on the technical aspects of capturing game play here

But one of the things that I struggle with, is trying to decide what makes good gameplay content for a video - I don't really want to put something up on youtube that's boring to watch.

Do any of the guys at DS, or veteran video makers here have any tips & tricks on creating compelling gameplay content, editing, voice-overs etc. I am familiar enough with Windows Movie Maker, so the technical end is covered - I am after tips on the artistic side of things, good things to look out for, pitfalls to avoid etc...

Thanks in advance

dunkelza

dunkelza
  • Community ManagerCM
  • 2,730 posts
  • United States

Dunkelza has created a great blog entry on the technical aspects of capturing game play here

But one of the things that I struggle with, is trying to decide what makes good gameplay content for a video - I don't really want to put something up on youtube that's boring to watch.

Do any of the guys at DS, or veteran video makers here have any tips & tricks on creating compelling gameplay content, editing, voice-overs etc. I am familiar enough with Windows Movie Maker, so the technical end is covered - I am after tips on the artistic side of things, good things to look out for, pitfalls to avoid etc...

Thanks in advance

Two very important things to watch for, IMHO:

Watchability - Can a viewer easily pick out the object of interest and keep it in frame long enough to understand what's happening and hopefully feel some emotion around it.

Followability - Is there a narrative flow that enables the viewer to understand what's happening well enough to care about it?

Yes, I probably just made those words up, but English is fun like that. Someday, I'd like to helicopter to the taping. ;)

A good example of this being done with a chaotic video is the Smosh Games vid from a few weeks back. It's totally off-the-walls crazy, but you can still follow it, see what's happening, and feel an emotional response based on what's going on.

Stormprooter

Stormprooter
  • Underground
  • 67 posts
  • United Kingdom
x12

[dev]

Two very important things to watch for, IMHO:

Watchability - Can a viewer easily pick out the object of interest and keep it in frame long enough to understand what's happening and hopefully feel some emotion around it.

Followability - Is there a narrative flow that enables the viewer to understand what's happening well enough to care about it?

Yes, I probably just made those words up, but English is fun like that. Someday, I'd like to helicopter to the taping. wink.png

A good example of this being done with a chaotic video is the Smosh Games vid from a few weeks back. It's totally off-the-walls crazy, but you can still follow it, see what's happening, and feel an emotional response based on what's going on.

[/dev]

The Smosh video is very good - but way beyond what I can accomplish. Still, good tips there Dunkelza, and although I will probably only be creating content of gameplay vs AI (as it's easier for me to "control") - I've got a bit of inspiration - what I need to do is; tell a story, using the game. Now, to come up with the "story"......

Thanks

inspades

inspades
  • Backer
  • 212 posts
  • United States
x4

I made guides for survival mode and use of turrets. Hope to make some more in the future

https://www.youtube....h?v=7CpM7cgGXYI

https://www.youtube....h?v=urWaOTQeRzk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users