Infinity: Battlescape

infinity procedural space scifi seamless landing epic bwaaaa battlescape

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

selbie

selbie
  • Backer
  • 21 posts

I thought I'd add this game here now that we are only DAYS away from a Kickstarter launch date.

http://inovaedev.blo...attlescape.html

2784310-5013865711-scree.jpg

314073868acd83b29bc45a1138a076575545a8a5

3236e54c9dfe477554279230d1d13d00f58d2d86

428125f065ec8ebf5b04460c124fda3187bf4a66

Flying through life-size planets and pew-pew across an entire solar system? Yes please.

This is the semi final outline of the KS tier prices. https://forums.inova...eward-tiers/986

Developer Access is at $250 with almost immediate access to the game.

selbie

selbie
  • Backer
  • 21 posts

Quick update to announce that the kickstarter is now live!

https://www.kickstar...ity-battlescape

The moons of Infinity

JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed
  • 0 posts
  • United Kingdom

About the game:

Different people like different games. Battlescape isn't a MMO and isn't designed to be content-driven. Battlescape is round based and you play the game because you like the mechanics and game-play (in a way just like I played Brood War or Battlefield 1942 long after the games were 'finished' and no new content was added). Instead of playing to get new loot you play to constantly get better at piloting your ship, to constantly come up with new tactics and strategies. You play to learn how to best counter the other two teams plans. You play to scheme with your friends under and between rounds. Just like you continuously play RISK or SETTLERS OF CATHAN or any other board game, for example.

HOWEVER, Flavien (Game engine creator) has worked on Infinity and the I-Novae-engine for the last ten years, I don't think he will ever stop to develop it and release new things. How grand those things are will of course depend of the level of backing the project gets (just as with literally any game).

eccca23a36235777c19d63f01ccc82f9af5d5885

Concept art for a damaged Hellion ship in the full game.

85cc9d456adb74210378703d17105a7e402c81e5

In-engine (prototype) screen shots.

92fefbb474736382ad607f2120c65ddea8af4ccb

And a Mars like cratered world with a thinner orangey red atmosphere.

11b7d07bc8c6973268a06d9f43c865fbd90700e0

I-Novae: Flavien (CTO/President & Cofounder)

Said:

The game isn't trying to compete with Star Citizen or Elite Dangerous. It's an indy game. I know a lot of people like to imagine it as "the next big thing" ( aka the whole MMO ) but as a matter of a fact Battlescape is much, much smaller. It's also much cheaper. $20 isn't that expensive IMO and even in terms of exploring planets and discovering areas, I think you can easily have many hours of fun if you're at least a little bit interested in that aspect of the game. Add to that the massive battles that could last days or be different every time due to team dynamics/strategies, environment hazards and random events, and for $20 I think it'll be hard to say it wasn't worth it..

About VR and controller support:

The dev's have said:

"We have already added support to VR headsets such as the Oculus Rift in our I-Novae Engine. However it would take a lot of effort, money, and increased risk to solve problems such as performance (VR pretty much halves the framerate) and a separate UI dedicated to VR. This is why we aren't making any promise at this stage."

"As VR enthusiasts ourselves this is definitely something we will try to add on our own, especially if we are able to hit our higher stretch goals."

and:

"Our plan is to support mouse/keyboard, joystick/HOTAS, as well as console controllers for xbox1 and ps4."

And here's a longer Scott Manley video with voice over

battling it out in the Infinity: Battlescape prototype.

Scott Manley - Test space and planetary battle

The I-Novae: Engine - Pure digital art!

There's a FAQ here:
https://forums.inova...escape-faq/1112

And of course the kickstarter page and KS comments section here:

https://www.kickstar...escape/comments

JonnyƦedhed - Browncoat - And I DO kiss'em on the mouth

GenDesperado

GenDesperado
  • Backer
  • 132 posts
  • Australia
I have backed this. It does look like a fun game. Will be interested how far they take it.
"I'm Brian and so is my Wife" Proofread carefully to see if you any words out. Dyslexics of the world, untie!
Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected become the expected?

bod699

bod699
  • Backer
  • 1 posts
  • United Kingdom

Definitely an interesting looking game, I backed it also and have been given access to the prototype which I look forward to trying out tomorrow.

We can never have enough Space Games, so good to see a number of them in our future.

signature-bod699-twitch2.png

JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed
  • 0 posts
  • United Kingdom
A few comments made recently regarding the Infinity: Battlescape kickstarter.

Chris Roberts -

"A working prototype that looks, in a word, spectacular!"

source

Scott Manley -

"I've been playing the barebones prototype and there's lots to recommend"

source from comments section

Angry Joe -

"I just backed Infinity: Battlescape"

source

And on Reverse the Verse 10 Ben commented about how, quote "genuinely thrilled" end quote, Chris was to see the game in action. Ben has been working closely with Chris since the kickstarter so he means what he says.  And Ben goes on to say that Chris Roberts looking forward to playing the prototype soon.  

Watch from 21m9s
https://www.youtube....outu.be&t=21m9s

Thanks to Selbie for brining this to my attention.

Dog fighting over and through the valleys and canyons of rocky moons and planets, or follow from high altitude the rim of an ancient crater to just explore. Fly over the great plains and tundra's of green algae planets, or along lava filled valleys of volcanic moons. Defend or take outposts for mining resources. Fight for your chosen faction as you enter or exit the atmosphere of planets. And descend into the deep cloud layers of gas giants to reach floating factories, where your ship will need to withstand the pressure and atmospheric storms. There will be plenty to see and do, without leaving your ship.

I-Novae: Engine driving Infinity: Battlescape - Pure Digital Art

Sergeant Thorne

Sergeant Thorne
  • Underground
  • 198 posts
  • United States
x24

I am not really a big fan of open space games, but what you guys are doing is so impressive--the expansiveness, without feeling artificial, and the detail... it looks incredible, and I would say it stands out as being unique in capturing what it is you've set out to capture.  It's a proper space flight sim!  For some reason I keep thinking Star Wars universe... a mod would be incredible (the DeathStar).  A Descent mod--flying the Pyro through asteroid fields would be awesome.  But I don't mean to digress, because I think flying the finished product here would be an experience, and a lot of fun. :)

Maybe "Hunter" (alias) from Descent 3 would take interest enough to bring his HyperSpace mod to this game. ;)

EDIT: Backed @ $35

JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed
  • 0 posts
  • United Kingdom
Gameplay scenario storyboard - Flavien Brebion

Hey everyone, Flavien here. We have entered our final week with 88% of our goal raised. Only $35K to go and we’ll have a successful campaign. But we can’t do this without your support, so keep up the great work, keep spreading the word and we’ll be there in no time !

Battlescape gameplay scenario storyboard

Jan and Dan have been working on a storyboard to depict scenarios that will let you imagine how a match would typically play. From scouting, gathering intelligence, making strategic decisions as a team, attacking or defending a battlescape in fighters, bombers or doing orbital bombardment with capital ships, it’s all in here:

212ffrd.png

... or follow this link.

From I-Novae studios:
We've added some additional perks to our existing $100, $150, and $500 reward tiers. For starters the $100 tier now comes with an extra copy of the retail game. Many of you have indicated that it would be great if you had an opportunity to name something within the game and at the $150+ tier you will now be able to name an NPC ship. At the $500+ tier you will be able to name an installation such as a space station, mining facility, etc. In both cases these names will go into a pool and each match new NPC ships and installations will randomly select a name from their respective pool.

And lastly....

And, take a look at some early work in progress screen shot of a new, procedurally generated giant asteroid.

x29pns.jpg

Another screen shot - 'The Sky at Night'.

0a06376a8ae00cedf94ff383ab31ccf6da5df8eb

Infinity: Battlescape - Pure Digital Art

JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed
  • 0 posts
  • United Kingdom

Thanks to Wingman and team with their shout outs for the KS campaign :)

Eric 'Wingman' Peterson (Descent Underground) -

"We just backed Battlescape Infinity -
Let's get them across that goal line"

and

"If you love ‪#‎IndieDev‬ ‪#‎SpaceGames‬, take a look INovaeStudios Infinity: Battlescape! Only 3 days left"

source - Twitter and source - Facebook

And a couple of screen shots and lastly some concept artwork from Andre (Orbital bombardment)

d9e47fe6b60291ed445cd8d20f12789c1bc3862e

dcf84066e9e5b4477b412cc72c6e7aa0bce63c7f

Concept art for a massive orbital battle.
0547bd9492ac02adc349f25294320733647a1f29

Concept artwork from Andre (Orbital bombardment) - You wouldn't want to be caught on the ground when this happens.
Planetary_Bombardment.jpg

JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed
  • 0 posts
  • United Kingdom
Narrated Gameplay Video Series, part 3 / 3 - by Flavien Brebion

The final part of the “gameplay prototype” video series is up, featuring a little visit to the Earth-type moon factory area
and a few more explanations about ship systems like power redirection or flight formations.

Sandbox mode, exploration and multiplayer:

Links to parts 1 [LINK] and 2 [LINK].

Thunderclap

Community member Ajay initiated a Thunderclap campaign to be launched a few days before the end of the Kickstarter campaign. He writes,

The goal is to send out a single message via the Twitter/Facebook/Tumblr accounts of the supporters. If we have enough supporters (and some luck) we could become a trending topic, putting the spotlight on the I:B KS, which will hopefully result in more pledges!

If you wish to support us on Thunderclap ( or learn how it works ), feel free to join the project page here.

Just 3 days left on the Kickstarter:

JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed
  • 0 posts
  • United Kingdom

If anyone wants to help out a little, you could maybe, like, share, comment and re-tweet Wingmans shout outs.  

https://twitter.com/...395542025408513

https://www.facebook...423948431146307

Milkman

Milkman
  • ModeratorMod
  • 327 posts
  • United States
x12

well i snagged the last $23 pledge that was showing. :P  Hopefully you guys make your goal!

milkman_325a_sig_sm.png

Its just me talking as me, unless written in Moderator Blue

JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed
  • 0 posts
  • United Kingdom

A new video from 'Planet Explorer' (TARS).   Prototype game play battles set against majestic space and planetary scenery.

All in-engine (I-Novae: Engine) prototype.

The I-Novae: Engine - Pure Digital Art

selbie

selbie
  • Backer
  • 21 posts

About 50 hours to go and just under $3000 left. Major kudos to Descendent for pitching in to help this game across the line!

PyroJockey

PyroJockey
  • Backer
  • 927 posts
  • United States
x2
Is this a 6DOF game?

There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish

noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow stuff up.
Posted Image

[font=arial]Note: Everything I post is as a fan of Descent: Underground except for off-color statements - which will be written in PyroJockey Plum[/font][font=arial].[/font]

JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed
  • 0 posts
  • United Kingdom
FUNDED! 300K plus more coming in the hours left.

Now, with another two years of heads down development and extra game fund raising via the website, the game will become so much more than the prototype we see today.

Yes, its 6DOF movement.

JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed
  • 0 posts
  • United Kingdom
If there's anyone still on the fence about whether to pledge or not. Just $20 gets you the finished game.

Sergeant Thorne

Sergeant Thorne
  • Underground
  • 198 posts
  • United States
x24

And for everyone over the fence the $250 package get you the Combat Prototype you're watching in the videos by January 2016.  :shutup: :blush: :ph34r:

[rationalization] Jan 2016 - Sept 2017 = 20 months... $250 / 20 = $12.50/mo. [/rationalization] :D

JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed
  • 0 posts
  • United Kingdom
Questions & Answers - by Flavien & Keith

Re-posting Kickstarter update No.#15 - source

Hey everyone, this is Flavien. Today’s update is probably going to be the last update of our Kickstarter campaign so we’ll focus on some community questions & answers as well as future plans.

Infinity Battlescape Community Q&A video

Here’s also a bunch of other questions that we frequently saw:

Q. Will I be able to pledge on Paypal, or increase my pledge after the Kickstarter ?

A. Yes, we’ll keep accepting new donations / pledges on our website a few days after the KS campaign has ended. You can also increase your pledge if you want, however we will not have a backer portal to manage all your pledges and rewards until a later stage, so if you donated $50 on KS and donate another $35 on our website later, you will have to wait until we have the backer management system implemented to claim your $85 reward tier. This backer portal should be available within a few months.

Additional funding will be used towards increased development quality and unlocking the next stretch goals.

Q. The modding goal is at $800K, which is quite far away. Does that mean there will be no modding if you don’t reach it ?

A. The $800K modding goal is for “full” modding, completely changing the gameplay or even making new types of games and total reconversions ( like adding walking on planets/stations ). Even if we don’t reach this goal, there is still going to be partial mod support in the game. Players will be able to customize their own dedicated servers, add or modify ships, weapons, planets / solar system setup, sounds and special effects.. this includes the look but also all the gameplay / balance / physics parameters. The gameplay however will pretty much be set in stone until we get more funding.

80d3b4db079613c249da34b6dbbe4995f1614458
Modding atmospheric parameters, curtesy of TARS (Planet Explorer on youtube)

Q. I am not much of a combat guy, is it possible to play as an explorer ? Is there a sandbox mode ? Can I play offline ?

A. Absolutely. While Battlescape is focused on combat and large-scale battles, you can choose to play a supporting role on your team as there will be a need for explorers and scouts to determine locations and weaknesses in the enemy infrastructure. If you simply prefer to explore the solar system at your own pace without the threat of being attacked, there will be an offline “sandbox” mode where you will be able to test ships, experiment weapons and train, or simply fly over the majestic landscapes of all the various environments and hazards the game will provide. There will also be some sandbox elements and easter eggs ( hunting for other backer’s statues, anyone ? ). Below you can find an example of modding that could be added to the game to improve the sandbox elements: a canyon-racing mode.

Modding in Battescape: canyon racing example

Q. Now that the Kickstarter has been funded, what is the next step ?

A. In the upcoming 1-2 months, not much will change and developers will continue working part time. It will take a few weeks for Kickstarter to validate the campaign, collect and transfer the funds. There will also be a leave notice of a few months ( at least in EU ) for developers leaving their full-time jobs. I am expecting that we will ramp up the team to full production mode starting in January.

Our first step then will be to review our workflow, tools and prepare deployment of the game prototype to our Stellar supporters. There’s still a fair amount of work to do for that, like network improvements, adding an automatic patching system ( nobody wants to download and reinstall the game manually for every minor patch ), a bugs / statistics report system and many gameplay and visual tweaks.

Procedural asteroids

Some early work in progress screen shot of a new, procedurally generated giant asteroid.

x29pns.jpg

In the past days I have been working on massive, procedural asteroids. In the following example you can see a 500-Km wide asteroid, which you could almost consider a mini planet ( it’s at the limit of where a celestial body starts to become spherical ), in the gameplay prototype. Keep in mind this is a heavy work in progress. It has some pretty sharp lighting and shadows due to the high contrasts in space ( there’s no atmosphere to dim the lighting ), but if you compare it with real asteroid photos, you’ll see it looks pretty realistic thanks to our physical-based lighting and high dynamic range systems. Still, there are many improvements that we’d like to do in the future, like for example procedural texturing which is not yet at the level we aim to achieve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK3Gd0qeXiM
Infinity : Battlescape - 500km wide procedural asteroid WIP

And again, I would like to personally thank everybody that contributed to our Kickstarter campaign.

-Flavien Brebion

Re-posting Kickstarter update No.#15 - source

I-Novae Engine - Pure Digital Art

JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed
  • 0 posts
  • United Kingdom
A few more screen shots in the KS closing hours.

15nqao2.png

farh36.png

mrkf5.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: infinity, procedural, space, scifi, seamless landing, epic, bwaaaa, battlescape

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users