18 replies to this topic

dunkelza

dunkelza
  • Community ManagerCM
  • 2,900 posts
  • United States

Between now and noon next Monday, June 15, 2015 we need you to:

Produce 2D concept art for a bot.

Ideally, entries should show front, back, sides, top, bottom, and a tilted view that shows us an overview.

Feel free to talk with the folks in the design competition for ideas (and vice versa)- or to enter the design path yourself.

This thread is only for entries. The entire entry should be in one post.

If you post multiple entries, please flag them in the order you want them considered. If we have a lot of submissions, we may have to limit the number of entries per person.

We are asking specifically for 2D concept sketches rather than 3D models at this stage.

Custard

Custard
  • Backer
  • 191 posts
  • Australia

Okay I have an entry below. It's not what I'd have submitted if I had more weeks, but oh well.

Design Notes: 

- Not all the angles, sorry.

- Wanted to go with a tough driller bot. Capable of taking hard knocks from floating rocks or an attack from enemies pretty well, but not speedy or able to hit back with great force. Four mining laser would be the intended armament.

- I had ideas of the four side pods (armaments) being quite mobile with various configurations available, unfortunately not put into art so trying to explain so would be confusing or long-winded.

Robot-Blueprint.png

This is another image below of some continued work on the above. Above is too generic, not very much like a bot. I needed to change the shape a bit before I took it anywhere else.

Design Notes:

- It's about 3.5 meters I think, not small and not huge.

- Although a squarish design, it's not suppose to be as much so as above. The front was intended to have curved and circular elements here.

- Could have a singular HAL-9000-esque eye on the front of the drone, or more classic 'evil frowning eyes' on each side of the front. Didn't get that far.

- Those three small triangles at the top of each side of the rear could open as hatches, letting it do stuff like deploy a smoke screen, vent fire while mining, or some other fun things.

- Yes I took the side pods off to work on the hull alone, but every intention to put them back on later (they needed more detail too). Ran out of time.

Robot-Blueprint-WS.png

Edited by Custard, 14 June 2015 - 10:22 PM.

Sliver

Sliver
  • Backer
  • 377 posts
  • Australia
x2

I came up with a fairly simple bot based on "the spinner" idea I posted in the Design Path Thread

The original inspiration was from the rather nasty bots in the movie Oblivion

This is a simpler type bot with a spherical body and a gun mounted in the middle

Concept is either the entire body turns or the center section spins very fast

Have not decided where to put sensors, thinking about either side of the gun, or perhaps multiple sensors in the top and bottom segments

The-Spinner.jpg

Have added some Sensors and Thrusters to the image

Also some indication of how i see the gimbaled thrusters moving 

The top thrusters move up and down and direct the bot up and down, left and right

The back thrusters can move side to side and direct the bot forward in the direction it is facing, or slightly left or right

The bot can spin its center to a new heading and then thrust in that direction for course changes, while thrusting forward it can more easily reorient the top and bottom sections

The top and bottom thrusters can rotate the bot clockwise or anticlockwise, but if it is spinning the gyro effect of the spin will slow its turn speed

The-Spinner-mkII.png

'Never Fear, I is here!" - (The Plague)

Whiteshark

Whiteshark
  • Backer
  • 527 posts
  • Finland
x2
Side view of the Advanced solvent striker. I realized I need it to look more]modern, so I'll post the front and back pics if I get an idea.
Spoiler
This next pic has the colours right but has pretty much everything else wrong.
Spoiler

I made a new version, this time pictured from the front! Please tell me which changes you like or dislike! In the new model the tanks are horizontal and now half covered with the agent mixing unit. The headpiece is now slightly more snake like and it's now between the armpieces, making the bot look more compact.
Spoiler
There is also a messy side view. I decided to keep the thrusters in the back. I will unfortunately not be able to make changes to these in about a week. Critique is still appreciated!

I decided to make a more imagination friendly version :) I need your ideas for this! You can see I took the head off. Instead I put only floating eyes and an Intel chipset.
Spoiler

I'm afraid I can't finish the models. :( These are the changes I had planned:
The gunarm should be covered in the hull material. The weapon shouldn't be visible, except for a part of the barrel. The arms and the tank cover should also be hull material. Hull material is dark green, uneven and alienlike composite. The head should be kept, but the shape follows the lastest image. The middle triangular part follows the original shape, and the side parts are metal beams, that protect some robot parts between them. The beams bend backwards, and the triangular hull part bends forward. The cage around the head should have some more beams.
I wanted to finish this! I drew the final version with pen and paper :) P9bJxGq.jpg The headpiece is still not in the best shape, but please don't stick too much to it.

Edited by Whiteshark, 15 June 2015 - 01:51 PM.

Wouldn't it be easier to read if this was on Comic Sans?

Dai

Dai
  • Backer
  • 9 posts
  • United States
x2

I'm not much of a technical/mechanical artist, but I thought this would be a fun challenge. :) Sadly I only just saw this today, so it was a bit of a rush... and I so would love to come up with more ideas!

This concept I came up with to be a sort of scout/helper, something that provides light. More than likely not dangerous, perhaps something players could utilize in game play... ?! It has a fin of sorts on either side of the body, with a large floodlight at the bottom of each, and 3 spheres above them that can move individually, in all directions, providing more direct light.

I also added in a ring of spikes, as I was going over the old Descent bots and liked the random spikes they threw in on some of them, hah. It's not exactly functional, but I figure it could spin/rotate to look a bit menacing. :) Oh, and the top part with the eye on it would be able to rotate independently as well, allowing it to "look" around.

dbot.jpg

-- Dai

defcon_x

defcon_x
  • Underground
  • 1,564 posts
  • United States
x4

Here is my first (only?) submission for the stage 1 topic.

Following the basic mold of many bots that look like a floating torso of sorts, but I wanted it to feel "scrunchy" like it can squeeze through areas, and it always has these long guns reaching out in front. I also want it to feel like something you might see not too far in the future from today. Like modern drones. Sleek but a little awkward.

How it fits in the Descent timeline: The idea is that FUSION is actually a really weak weapon, kinda like laser, at this stage, but with higher "disintegration" levels whereas laser has more "explosive" properties. This was an experimental bot that supplements its tiny fusion microblobs with vauss (a kind of close-quarter machine gun) and they would fire alternatingly to dig out trapped miners in case of collapses. Thing on its back is a communications antenna to communicate with "brainy bots" and mining computers. While other rescue bots were used for power lifting, this early fusion-blob technology bot was developed to carve paths to eradicate hazardous materials/situations from the area without bots having to touch the hazards, or to find work-arounds to an area. Maybe some versions of this bot also come with a claw arm, like "jaws of life". And that eventually turns into a sinister looking claw ...

(The evil looking eyes probably have to go. I mean, who would design the crazy scary eyes like that? Maybe more like a scanner type eye cam instead. But this is a starting idea.)

The micro-fusion arms can move out a bit. And they can fold until they are almost touching so the bot can squeeze through little areas and get close as well as roll obliquely - it can even pivot around an arm to carve perfect circular holes with the other arm. So its arms operate a bit like a "compass" to change the size of the holes it can dig.

It has thrusters to move "quick" from its launching bay to the disaster area. By "quick" (using the kind of weird "impulse" moving that we see in D1-D2) that's probably like the speed of purple drones from D1 level 1.

Some hazard/rescue emblems would look cool. Maybe it's white like an ambulance.

bot_idea.gif

LINUX OS: MINT 17.X • DESKTOP: CINNAMON 2.X • CPU: i3 • RAM: 8GB • GPU: GTX960 • Thrustmaster T16000M • 

Running D:U at resolution 1920x1080 unless otherwise noted in reports

Goznik

Goznik
  • Backer
  • 197 posts
  • Israel

Hey guys,

Here is my idea for a robot, its another take for a robot I already showed here.

It is a mining robot, it has a drill and tentacles.

Its eyes are old school descent style scaners.

As the robot mines, it collects minerals in its rear pouch and when you kill it you can collect these minerals.

it can also have other versions with a laser cannon instead of the drill or even a concussion missile version,

Each version should be colored with a different color.

34zee5z.jpg

dunkelza

dunkelza
  • Community ManagerCM
  • 2,900 posts
  • United States

Entries close TOMORROW at NOON CDT (1700 UTC)!

Remember, if you have submitted more than one entry, please rank them in the order you want them included.

Ninja

Ninja
  • Backer
  • 133 posts
  • United States

cambot01.jpg

I wanted to pitch something that was a bot, but in a non combat role and a potential gameplay enhancer.

I introduce to you the cam-bot-1001 series deployable camera drone.    

This is a physically persistent camera you can launch from your drone and allow it to follow you as a 3rd person chase camera, or take direct remote control of and use to peek around into dark corners.   and if your own drone should be (heaven forbid) destroyed, it remains a persistent object on the map and can function as a spectator camera.   it can, however be hacked or destroyed so don't rely on it *all* the time. 

The idea came to me when I was mulling over how unfair a third person camera is in most games.. and spectator mode just lets you know where you need to go while you are respawning just so you can snipe the guy who just destroyed you..    this could potentially add a bit of depth to a system like that without giving you a god-like omnipresent ability.

bruner_james

bruner_james
  • Backer
  • 2 posts
  • Canada

Hey guys, I just saw last night at work so I sketched up an idea.

CvdiWw6.jpg?3

Now as I'm not the best 2d artist. I decided to whip it up in max this evening, Model isn't pretty but It gives a better idea than my drawings.

Heres the front.

And the back

[mod]Removed 3D renders from the 2D entry.[/mod]

etheras

etheras
  • Backer
  • 66 posts
  • United States

The Von Neumann Foundry is an old idea in science and science fiction. But its also a lot of fun! And would make for interesting game mechanics.

ajAhrkw.jpg

Von Neumann Foundry : A weak bot that makes more of itself, consuming all the resources in the area that it can get its hands on.

This is my favorite of the ideas that I proposed.

etheras

etheras
  • Backer
  • 66 posts
  • United States

The Cuddler

xLwrA5p.jpg

Fast tough bot seeks out enemies and grabs them, throwing off the weight balance of the ship, slowing them, and making for a larger ship body and silhouette. Can be shaken off, but will try to re-attach.

etheras

etheras
  • Backer
  • 66 posts
  • United States

Repair Bot (Abdul's idea)

o12Cn3G.jpg

KHtoDFD.jpg

I tried to think of a way to make Abdul's repair bot something that would work in a null G environment.

• Front has clamps on a telescoping slide, to compensate for Newton's 3rd Law.
  • Engines are on the sides on pivots, independently rotating, allows for most movement (no slide).
  • Telescoping rails allow for it to work on a larger surface area.
  • Attaching the arm at the back allows the main body of the "sled" to contain interchangable tools and repair resources. I put these on the bottom and top respectively (for no obvious reason). The arm at the back of the sled also allows it to work both above and below the axis of the clamp

Looks a bit like a scorpion, which is cool. And also I have an idea for a similar bot with 2 arms, which presumably could do work twice as fast, but I'm not sure if that's more animation than you guys want to add. Maybe I'll sketch that one up too.

FireDragon

FireDragon
  • Backer
  • 183 posts
  • Canada

Boss Bot

design idea - This bot was designed for heavy blasting and fitted with blast shields.

There is 3 blast shields, one on top and 2 on the sides, the blast shields are supported by robotic arms when activated that can move the shields around the bot.

Heavy weapon - mass driver, heavy mining weapon, etc

Blast shields - special animation

This idea is presented as a team Louhikarme & FireDragon 

we know the drawing is a bare basic of our idea!!

IMG_20150615_101007628_zps0kl6vm64.jpg

Lous drawing 

lou%20ship%20drawing_zps4jpjdigg.jpg

etheras

etheras
  • Backer
  • 66 posts
  • United States

Warp Bot

sSYUKAl.jpg

Tough, slow-moving bot has the ability to create gravitational anomalies, sucking everything in towards it, and then reversing polarity to dash stuff against the walls of a cavern, or send them spiraling away out-of-control. The effect would be relative to the object's proximity to the Warp Bot.

Warp Bot has telescoping pointy spikes when gravity is on (pull). When antigravity is on (push), these look like radar dishes. I think a neat effect would be to have energy arcing from spike to spike when gravity is on, and have a distortion effect or ripple effect when antigravity is on. Just a suggestion  ^_^

etheras

etheras
  • Backer
  • 66 posts
  • United States

Salesman

Annoyance bot / distraction.

Hn6lOVt.jpg

A simple bot that produces pop-up ads on enemy ship's screens, telling them that they need to upgrade the security on their drones computer systems, and that they should by Designopotamus Systems Inc, unhackable control systems! For a better tomorrow!

etheras

etheras
  • Backer
  • 66 posts
  • United States

Lothar Bot

Kinda had some trouble with this one, since its more of a factory that produces good stuff randomly. I figure it should have an exposed area (weak spot?) where glowy machiney mechanisms should be visible that the bonuses pop out of... Otherwise it should be very well-armored since its going to be the target of many attacks. Also it needs to look cool because its representative of a person.

I went for more of a protoss look, but I'm open to suggests. As you can see from the scribble, I had to reconsider some things here.

RXNIs3g.jpg

etheras

etheras
  • Backer
  • 66 posts
  • United States

Repair Bot Mk2 (original idea by Abdul)

This is my 2nd pass at the Repair Bot idea. 2 arms might repair twice as fast... but without the sliding rail, the reach of the arms is reduced. This can be compensated-for if the bot can rotate about the axis of the clamp. Also having the arms on the top/bottom means that they don't have to be quite as long as if they are attached in back.

I also explain more how the clamp works, but this applies to both the Mark 1 and Mark 2 designs. Also a layout for some of the goodies that this bot would be carrying: in particular, repair consumables and tools.n60c7xA.jpg

12zJ5ya.jpg

Louhikarme

Louhikarme
  • Game DeveloperDev
  • 535 posts
  • Finland
x2
x4

this goes to firedragon's post. 

Spoiler

Everything I post is as a fan of Descent: Underground except for official statements - which will be written in Moderator Blue.

https://www.artstati...tist/louhikarme
http://louhikarme.deviantart.com/
https://soundcloud.com/louhikarme/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: BUILD-A-BOT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users