• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

PyroJockey

PyroJockey
  • Backer
  • 1,330 posts
  • United States
x2

You can find a large list of  games with six degrees of freedom on the Track IR developers web site, Natural Point HERE.  Following the link will also show    the attributes  each game supports using  the Track IR  i.e.   Yaw, Pitch, Roll and   the coordinates X, Y and Z Not all of the games I've listed below supports all six, i.e.America's Army only supports Yaw and Pitch,  however, most games listed do support all or most of the attributes.

Track IR is brilliant  because it allows the user to look around in their gaming environment, for example plaing ArmA 3, I can look behind me  just by turning my head, lean forwards to zoom in and move my head to the left or right to look around corners.  When playing flight sims, especially combat sims, it's a must have as you can look over your shoulder in game without having to use  your keyboard, freeing up your fingers for more imortant functions.

I'm really looking forwards to playing Descent: Underground with the Track IR.  Once you've used  a Track IR you'll wonder why you've not used one   since they became available  over a decade ago, they really enhance game play significantly.

You may have 6DOF for your field of view, but that's not the 6DOF of motion I was looking for.

There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish

noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow stuff up.
jgrs60.jpg

Note: Everything I post is as a fan of Descent: Underground except for off-color statements - which will be written in PyroJockey Plum.

G'lek

G'lek
  • Underground
  • 57 posts
  • Canada

I feel like Kerbal Space Program needs some sort of note on it that while it has six degrees of freedom, it's bound by Newtonian physics and orbital mechanics, including thrust to weight ratios and fuel capacity, and thus behaves very differently from Descent and its kin. Achieving six degrees of freedom inside a planet's atmosphere in Kerbal Space Program is considered rather advanced game play as well. There is an option available in the debug menu to 'hack gravity', which does create a Descent-esque six degrees of freedom, though physics still applies (atmospheric friction, momentum, etc) so it feels sluggish and weird.

Message from a client to a designer: "We love it, but it gets all square when we zoom in. Can you make the squares rounder?"

For questions about my icon, see: http://descendentstu...hose-wondering/

Mad

Mad
  • Backer
  • 55 posts
  • United States

The Old Republic's Galactic Starfighter game mode is 6DOF, though reverse thrust is limited to a specialized ability that not all ships and configurations have.

LobsterSundew

LobsterSundew
  • Backer
  • 111 posts
Fathom is a 6DoF multiplayer shooter with deep sea submersibles.

The developer uploaded some footage to YouTube on July 6th.

Veratil

Veratil
  • Underground
  • 134 posts
  • United States

Fathom is a 6DoF multiplayer shooter with deep sea submersibles.

The developer uploaded some footage to YouTube on July 6th.

0:54 -- is that the Slave 1?!

Veratil

Veratil
  • Underground
  • 134 posts
  • United States

So I decided to check out the Null Operator blog again, their second blog post (a few weeks after PyroJockey looked) mentioned us (and he didn't seem happy).

http://blog.nulloper...n-more-awkward/

They've updated with a few more blog posts now though. Looks like it's becoming a very interesting 6DoF game.

CaptOven

CaptOven
  • Backer
  • 1 posts
  • United Kingdom

The X2 game was a 6DoF as stated earlier. I played the hell out that game and barely scratched the surface :) I also played the hell out of every other game bar Rebirth as I'm a fighter pilot first and foremost and would only change ships when forced to by the difficultly of the missions. Shame you can't change ships as it's super pretty :(

EDIT: Spelling :P

Backer number 994: 667 Neighbour of the beast :P

defcon_x

defcon_x
  • Underground
  • 1,749 posts
  • United States
x4

Sadly from your list PyroJockey I think Sol Contingency has been cancelled or ceased development? But you could add Overload (2018)

LINUX OS: MINT 19.1 • DESKTOP: CINNAMON 2.X • CPU: i3 • RAM: 8GB • GPU: GTX960 • Thrustmaster T16000M • 

Running D:U at resolution 1920x1080 unless otherwise noted in reports

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users