wiki

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

roncli

roncli
  • Underground
  • 157 posts
  • United States

So after having more than one run-in with people in the Kickstarter comments that just simply don't have time to do their research about the game, I realized... it's actually really HARD to do that research right now.  Most of the information is scattered throughout a wide variety of videos.  Around SEVEN HOURS of video between all 9 Wingman's Hangouts (Yup, 9, that's 5 during the Kickstarter and 4 prior to it!) and 3 Design Undergrounds!

This is not to mention the countless other places where our esteemed developers at Descendent have been giving out tons of information.  No doubt Wingman and company are hard at work doing what they can to get big press, wow us with these awesome vids they've been putting out, and to sell us on the promise of this game the best that they can.  I really don't expect them to have time to breathe, let alone try to categorize all of the information they are putting out.  And yet somehow they still seem to have time to answer our questions in chat and on the forums.  Honestly, I don't know how they do it.

It's been HARD to keep track of all of this.  I know, because I've been keeping track of it!  In fact, this weekend I had the idea to keep very, very good track of it.  So I created The Unofficial Descent: Underground wiki!

There still is a lot of work to do on this wiki, but right now, the major talking points are there... currencies, microtransactions, single player, the Torch, game modes... pretty much anything that has been asked either already has an answer on the wiki, or the devs simply haven't answered it yet.  All of it is sourced, so if you get that occasional potential backer that says "But the creators...!" you can point to where the creators actually said it.

My purpose of creating it this late in the Kickstarter was for the benefit of the final 48 hours.  As you know, you can star a Kickstarter campaign, and with 48 hours to go, Kickstarter will remind you to check out the campaign.  It is my hope that this wiki will help not only potential backers get their questions answered, but also help Wingman and company to have one resource they can easily point people to without having to create that resource with what little time they have.

Also, this is a wiki.  If you see errors, fix em!  If you want to add something, add it!  In fact, on the talk page of the main page of the site, you will find a list of things that still need to be done.  I don't believe they're critical for the campaign right now, but if someone wants to go knock something out, have at it, it would be much appreciated!

And now, on to $600,000... and beyond! :)

-roncli Twitch: roncli Twitter: @roncli YouTube: roncli Battle.Net: roncli#1818 Discord: roncli#1409 Homepage: roncli.com
Host on the Six Gaming Podcast, a podcast all about gaming, Saturdays 8pm PT/11pm ET facebook.com/SixGamingGG

ShoGun

ShoGun
  • Underground
  • 550 posts
  • United States
x2

Cool. I will point any folks i know that have questions to that as well as add it to my welcome message links for new backers when they join up. 

Not gonna see me coming not gonna hear a sound......

Jaxley

Jaxley
  • Backer
  • 414 posts
  • United States
Very nice sir!
Everything I post is as a fan of Descent: Underground except for official statements - which will be written in Moderator Blue.

LotharBot

LotharBot
  • Advisory Board
  • 1,407 posts
  • United States

I'm going to have to petition the mods to let me upvote more, because this post totally deserves one and I'm out for the day.

Come play original Descent! Full version setup instructions or Shareware unzip-and-play
Voice chat on Descent Rangers Mumble server address mumble.descentrangers.com port 31393

dunkelza

dunkelza
  • Community ManagerCM
  • 2,785 posts
  • United States
You ROCK!

roncli

roncli
  • Underground
  • 157 posts
  • United States

I added a news section and the kickstarter embed on the right side of the main page.

-roncli Twitch: roncli Twitter: @roncli YouTube: roncli Battle.Net: roncli#1818 Discord: roncli#1409 Homepage: roncli.com
Host on the Six Gaming Podcast, a podcast all about gaming, Saturdays 8pm PT/11pm ET facebook.com/SixGamingGG

starFriend123

starFriend123
  • Backer
  • 25 posts
  • Germany

This is absolutely the MVP for the remainder of the Kickstarter.

descent-backernumber.png

tron

tron
  • Underground
  • 256 posts
  • United States
x2

So after having more than one run-in with people in the Kickstarter comments that just simply don't have time to do their research about the game, I realized... it's actually really HARD to do that research right now.  Most of the information is scattered throughout a wide variety of videos.  Around SEVEN HOURS of video between all 9 Wingman's Hangouts (Yup, 9, that's 5 during the Kickstarter and 4 prior to it!) and 3 Design Undergrounds!

This is not to mention the countless other places where our esteemed developers at Descendent have been giving out tons of information.  No doubt Wingman and company are hard at work doing what they can to get big press, wow us with these awesome vids they've been putting out, and to sell us on the promise of this game the best that they can.  I really don't expect them to have time to breathe, let alone try to categorize all of the information they are putting out.  And yet somehow they still seem to have time to answer our questions in chat and on the forums.  Honestly, I don't know how they do it.

It's been HARD to keep track of all of this.  I know, because I've been keeping track of it!  In fact, this weekend I had the idea to keep very, very good track of it.  So I created The Unofficial Descent: Underground wiki!

There still is a lot of work to do on this wiki, but right now, the major talking points are there... currencies, microtransactions, single player, the Torch, game modes... pretty much anything that has been asked either already has an answer on the wiki, or the devs simply haven't answered it yet.  All of it is sourced, so if you get that occasional potential backer that says "But the creators...!" you can point to where the creators actually said it.

My purpose of creating it this late in the Kickstarter was for the benefit of the final 48 hours.  As you know, you can star a Kickstarter campaign, and with 48 hours to go, Kickstarter will remind you to check out the campaign.  It is my hope that this wiki will help not only potential backers get their questions answered, but also help Wingman and company to have one resource they can easily point people to without having to create that resource with what little time they have.

Also, this is a wiki.  If you see errors, fix em!  If you want to add something, add it!  In fact, on the talk page of the main page of the site, you will find a list of things that still need to be done.  I don't believe they're critical for the campaign right now, but if someone wants to go knock something out, have at it, it would be much appreciated!

And now, on to $600,000... and beyond! :)

@roncli demolishing misinformation

DU+Sig500.jpg

roncli

roncli
  • Underground
  • 157 posts
  • United States

I may have to use that as an audio taunt now.

tron

tron
  • Underground
  • 256 posts
  • United States
x2

I requires for more updates to the wiki ;)

jk but I'll help out with it over my break in a couple weeks.  

(Though I honestly think we should have an actual wiki on D:U's site that everyone can update with the devs.)

DU+Sig500.jpg

defcon_x

defcon_x
  • Underground
  • 1,491 posts
  • United States
x4

The Wikipedia page now says that the game is called Descent.

Hmmmm.

When I had spare time at work last year I tinkered with the wikia you made roncli and added some info about power ups and such. (At least I think it was yours as I remember at some point at least two different Wiki-style micro sites for D:U).

But now it seems we should wait until the first release before we modify the data. I mean, is it really just being called Descent now?

And besides that we don't know how guided missiles or cloaking have been implemented.

But just wanted to say it is exciting to think about soon being able to tweak this wikia and play the game.

LINUX OS: MINT 17.X • DESKTOP: CINNAMON 2.X • CPU: i3 • RAM: 8GB • GPU: GTX960 • Thrustmaster T16000M • HELP DE-BUG D:U!

Milkman

Milkman
  • ModeratorMod
  • 342 posts
  • United States

I really is just called Descent now.  Its a full reboot of the universe is my understanding.  Wiki editors will be very busy soon.

Posted Image
Its just me talking as me, unless written in Moderator Blue

Banditt

Banditt
  • Backer
  • 16 posts
  • United States

Is this going to be like the 2016 Doom reboot where we will all be tacking on the year to refer to the new release?  Saying 'Descent 2018' doesn't feel as good as saying 'Descent Underground'.

Wingman

Wingman
  • Game DeveloperDev
  • 1,950 posts
  • United States

Is this going to be like the 2016 Doom reboot where we will all be tacking on the year to refer to the new release?  Saying 'Descent 2018' doesn't feel as good as saying 'Descent Underground'.

It will be Descent - and yes, sort of like Doom - that was the choice of the publisher, since we are rebooting the entire franchise with an all new story - re imagining it from ground up, as we have no access to the original assets because of a conflict we had no part in....so we will simply start over....with the core game play and build on that with an all new origin story.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users