Where are all the Descenters?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Crankor

Crankor
  • Backer
  • 122 posts
  • United States

how did you even remeber all of those names?

dunkelza

dunkelza
  • Community ManagerCM
  • 2,900 posts
  • United States

Not aware of any EndGadget, do you mean Engadget?

I believe so.  I think I saw a mention somewhere about Kotaku too, but I could be imagining that. 

Sergeant Thorne

Sergeant Thorne
  • Underground
  • 198 posts
  • United States

how did you even remeber all of those names?

No, my memory is not quite that computer-like. :)  I wrote down all the names I could wring from my sleep-starved brain, and then referenced the DBB members list to jog the rest!  These are all pilots I remember playing back in the day.  I'm sure I even left a few out (I was kind of trying for more well-known names).  Lord Oberon, for instance, who gave me my first beating (40-1), didn't make the list.  No point listing names of people no one knows well enough to be able to contact, right?  But of course the list grows with everyone's input, so speak up and let's shake the trees!

roncli

roncli
  • Underground
  • 160 posts
  • United States

I know Skyalmian and ZappaFan are aware of the game.

-roncli Twitch: roncli Twitter: @roncli YouTube: roncli Battle.Net: roncli#1818 Discord: roncli#1409 Homepage: roncli.com
Host on the Six Gaming Podcast, a podcast all about gaming, Saturdays 8pm PT/11pm ET facebook.com/SixGamingGG

IsAB

IsAB
  • Backer
  • 15 posts
  • Greece

I'm here, nice to see you peeps!

Hunter

Hunter
  • Backer
  • 111 posts
  • United Kingdom

Over the years there have been thousands of pilots come and go - it's hard to remember them all, but I do remember MOST of them and always get a little *bing* sound in my brain every time someone mentions a name I haven't seen in years ;)

homeyduh

homeyduh
  • Backer
  • 80 posts

I finally cave in and pledged $80. Let's just hope my wife doesn't find out I spent our baby's formula money...:P hahaha

Sol Contingency mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Community Relations, and all-around nice guy.

Twitter: @homeyduh

LotharBot

LotharBot
  • Advisory Board
  • 1,408 posts
  • United States

Over the years there have been thousands of pilots come and go - it's hard to remember them all, but I do remember MOST of them and always get a little *bing* sound in my brain every time someone mentions a name I haven't seen in years ;)

I have that feeling all the time, between this forum and https://www.facebook...roups/kalikahn/ and http://descentchampions.org/ and http://descentrangers.com/Home

Come play original Descent! Full version setup instructions or Shareware unzip-and-play
Voice chat on Descent Rangers Mumble server address mumble.descentrangers.com port 31393

Max_T

Max_T
  • Backer
  • 4 posts
  • United States

We are lurking in the shadows!!

Man, 90% of that list brings back some fun memories!! :)

I am just trying to decide if I want another game that I broke like three dozen joysticks playing. :P

Guess I will go and buy a package.

PS: good to see you Thorne!

roncli

roncli
  • Underground
  • 160 posts
  • United States

I have a database from 2002 to 2006 from the D3TL that had over 800 pilots registered.  I sent that list an email last night.  Out of 871 email addresses, 389 bounced on the first attempt and 231 are "delayed" (which means they will probably bounce).

That's still a potential 251 pilots that got the email.  Hopefully a bunch of them still have the itch that is Descent. :)

-roncli Twitch: roncli Twitter: @roncli YouTube: roncli Battle.Net: roncli#1818 Discord: roncli#1409 Homepage: roncli.com
Host on the Six Gaming Podcast, a podcast all about gaming, Saturdays 8pm PT/11pm ET facebook.com/SixGamingGG

Sergeant Thorne

Sergeant Thorne
  • Underground
  • 198 posts
  • United States

Max_T!  My Mass-Driver-round trading, flag capturing, Descenting amigo! :D  Glad you're here!

Skyrat

Skyrat
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Just saw this today... as usual I am late.  :)

Wingman

Wingman
  • Game DeveloperDev
  • 1,973 posts
  • United States

Just saw this today... as usual I am late.  smile.png

OK this is funny, well played sir, and welcome - your timing is actually quite good.

:)

WM

Sosuke63

Sosuke63
  • Backer
  • 6 posts
  • United States

Poking my head back in after a long break.  

dunkelza

dunkelza
  • Community ManagerCM
  • 2,900 posts
  • United States

Poking my head back in after a long break.  

Keep your ears on! Announcements are pending.

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi
  • Backer
  • 345 posts
  • Netherlands
x2
Could be that most of them left to Overload or other games, what I do know is that this placed used to have far more life than it has know.

I am still around tho, the silence isn't great and that may also be why many went on with their lives.
When communities die or go silent, people just move on elsewhere.
Where there is no activity they go out seeking it.
Holder Of The World's Largest Descent / Freespace Collection:
Posted Image
Descent Is The Best Thing That Happened To You PC Since Floppy Drives!

defcon_x

defcon_x
  • Underground
  • 1,564 posts
  • United States
x4

[dev]

Keep your ears on! Announcements are pending.

[/dev]

Please oh please — I'm gonna pop!

LINUX OS: MINT 17.X • DESKTOP: CINNAMON 2.X • CPU: i3 • RAM: 8GB • GPU: GTX960 • Thrustmaster T16000M • 

Running D:U at resolution 1920x1080 unless otherwise noted in reports

Wingman

Wingman
  • Game DeveloperDev
  • 1,973 posts
  • United States

Could be that most of them left to Overload or other games, what I do know is that this placed used to have far more life than it has know.

I am still around tho, the silence isn't great and that may also be why many went on with their lives.
When communities die or go silent, people just move on elsewhere.
Where there is no activity they go out seeking it.

That is the price you pay when you go dark, but it also allows us to get a 2nd launch, which we need because the game is so different.

:)

WM

PuDLeZ

PuDLeZ
  • Underground
  • 315 posts
  • United States

I personally think the reason why there's not as much people playing it right now is because:
1. Dev team went dark

2. There hasn't been an update in some time and we know lots has changed from teasers.

3. Removed from stores so new players can't be added

4. The current players all play at different times.

5. Overload and other games have been released that took our attention away, besides the above points.

Once it's released to the general masses, we should see a spike in players. Now how many of these players will be playing MP is questionable since many (including myself) is eager to play the SP mission! Of course, I will be jumping into MP games once it's released and there's more players to play against.

In a mine somewhere going pew pew pew and sometimes boom!

ad free 1080 vids at https://www.youtube....r/pudelz/videos
Twitch https://www.twitch.tv/pudlez

Zeffenn

Zeffenn
  • Backer
  • 53 posts
  • United States

I still keep an eye on this game. Just waiting for a release so I can play the campaign.

Descent Fan since 1995

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users