Where are all the Descenters?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Sergeant Thorne

Sergeant Thorne
  • Underground
  • 198 posts
  • United States

Where are they?  We're in the 11th hour, and there are still a lot of names I haven't seen!  We don't want these folks to miss the Kickstarter for a new Descent, and we don't want them to miss out on the Torch KS.  Unfortunately I don't have contacts for nearly everyone I can think of from the days when Descent 3 was going strong, but that's where the community comes in!  What do you say, Descenters?  The list below is the work-list.  Post additions, contact attempts, and successful contacts, and I will update accordingly.  Also post amendments--"retired", "present!", or maybe I missed them.  I apologize in advance if I list someone who has passed.  I will try not to.   If you know someone on this list give them a shout!  Let's fill our ranks, Descenters!

• Suncho

• [D3K]Wakeman

• [D3K]Whitewater

• [MS]DeMoN

• [MS]Dingman

• [MS]Testiculese

• [MS]Whip

• [RIP]Akuma

• [RIP]Deadmeat

• [RIP]Fezzik

• [RIP]Grendal

• [RIP]Margo

• [RIP]Sarge

• [RIP]Teddy

• [RIP]Zaphod

• [SQN]Peacemaker

• [TA]Marek

• [TA]One

• {OSS}Lancelot

• {ROX}Diezman

• {ROX}Genghis

• {ROX}Hostile

• {ROX}Neutrino

• {ROX}Otherone

• {ROX}Palzon

• {SQN}Hattrick

• {WC}Kingpin

• Ages^Bots^

• Bash

• Berry

• BFDD

• BIGRYE

• Birdseye

• Canuck

• Capm

• Chenjeshu

• Cowboy

• CritterB

• Darktalyn

• DCrazy

• Drummergirl

• FlabbyChick

• Flatlander

• Gammaray

• Gooberman

• GrimDeath

• HaAGen DaZS

• Instig8

• IsAB

• Javed

• JazzyJet

• JMeat

• KAHA

• KILLSU2

• Kompressor

• KoolBear

• Kuman

• Max_T

• MeatPuppet

• MehYam

• Messenjah

• Mobius

• Monkey

• MousePad

• Nirvana

• Patches

• PUFFER

• Ryujin

• Scratch

• Sfuzzi

• SilverFJ

• SirWinner

• Skyalmian

• Slappy

• SoldAir

• Starkiller

• StingRay

• STRESSTEST

• Stupid

• Sup

• SuperSheep

• Tetrad

• The_Rock

• Thunderbird

• Top Wop

• Tyrant

• Fuzzy^Bots^

• Tumble4U2^Bots^

• Slowboy^Bots^

• Vaussboy^Bots^

• Warpig^Bots^

• WhollyCow^Bots^

• VON-Loki

• WarAdvocate

• Whodat

• Wolf on Air

• Xciter

• Xeon

• ZappaFan

• Zonerie

• Zuruck

(posting ASAP and will continue adding names as I think of them)

Goznik

Goznik
  • Backer
  • 197 posts
  • Israel

They are currently on a mission in the mines.

But seriously, yea, were is everyone?

It cant be that there are only 6000 people in the world that want a new Descent.

Sergeant Thorne

Sergeant Thorne
  • Underground
  • 198 posts
  • United States

The list is a small one, relatively speaking, and certainly not exhaustive at this point, but all of these guys/gals were fairly active at one time or another and could generally hold their own in the mines.

Korrupt

Korrupt
  • Backer
  • 53 posts
  • United States

I'm offended you left me out you SOB! haha

Sergeant Thorne

Sergeant Thorne
  • Underground
  • 198 posts
  • United States

All right, Admiral Thrawn, I didn't forget you, I just know you're already here! ;)

CDN_Merlin

CDN_Merlin
  • Backer
  • 154 posts

I don't have hopes we will hit $600,000 in 4 days. :(

Beta tested:
Game Stock Car 2012, Diablo 3, Descent 3 1.5 Patch, C&C Generals, Independance War 2, Starfleet Command 2, Settlers IV,Tzar, Allegiance, Starfleet Command, MAX 2, Defiance

ASUS Z170-P, Core I7-6700K, Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO Universal CPU Cooler, Gigabyte GF GTX970 OC 4GB GDDR5,
Crucial 16GB (2x8) 2133MHz DDR4,  Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5" SATA3 SSD, Western Digital Black 1 TB, ASUS DVD Burner, ASUS 27" Monitor, Fractal Design Define R5 Mid-Tower Case Black, Thermaltake ToughPower Gold 750 Watt Power Supply, Win 10 64Bit

Strife

Strife
  • Backer
  • 49 posts
  • United States

From what all these guys that have done the KS thing before, they are saying the last 3 days will be nuts and bring in boatloads.  It would be nice to get the old crew in here to talk a buncha trash to each other outside of Kali and back in the mines...

"Oh, you've never seen what a drunk duck looks like flying? Wait until Alpha..."

Jaxley

Jaxley
  • Backer
  • 414 posts
  • United States

No giving up! Let's just keep a positive attitude and see what happens :) Keep making new posts, talk to whoever will listen - and especially to those who may still be a little resistant. Worrying is just wasted energy! Redirect that energy into any avenue you can to produce a positive effect.
Everything I post is as a fan of Descent: Underground except for official statements - which will be written in Moderator Blue.

Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz
  • Backer
  • 257 posts
  • United States
In my experience, this project is a very hard sell to old school Descent fans. Especially in the first 10 days which should give you a huge chunk of your funding, it was extremely hard to get anyone interested in it or to have any interest in backing it. And even though I've gotten several people to back, there is probably 1-2 people for every one that I've gotten to back who aren't willing to fund it because they aren't confident in it for one reason or another.

For right now I'm just trying to be hopeful and optimistic. If we get within $50k by the time a few hours remain I will double my pledge to try to help it get across the line but it's going to be a rough road just to get to the funding amount at this point.
BeyondUnreal
Idlin' at irc.globalgamers.com, #descent :) (Yes people are actually hanging out there and talking about Descent occasionally)

tron

tron
  • Underground
  • 256 posts
  • United States
x2

They are on track for the 'grind' curve so to speak.  Its always nice to be overflowing with cash after a week but those are the exceptions.

Its all about building a community that wants this game and spreading the word at this point.  My wallet can't do more than 575 (well maybe ill get a shirt in the last 48) but everyone waits for the end rush to see if they need to help out, thats when everyone comes back to the project.

Its partly the commuities job to try and increase that 2nd look %.  Its the developers job to also help that % but even more so convince the % that does come back to buy in more for x, y, and z reasons.

Go forth and prosper!

DU+Sig500.jpg

Hunter

Hunter
  • Backer
  • 111 posts
  • United Kingdom

KAHA is here - I spoke to him a few times. I've also let TWS and Mac know about the project. By proxy most of the European and German Descenters know about this project too, but the problem for Germans and other Euros is they don't use credit cards and can't directly back the KS.

CDN_Merlin

CDN_Merlin
  • Backer
  • 154 posts

I've pledged my money.  Sadly I'm a pessimist.

Beta tested:
Game Stock Car 2012, Diablo 3, Descent 3 1.5 Patch, C&C Generals, Independance War 2, Starfleet Command 2, Settlers IV,Tzar, Allegiance, Starfleet Command, MAX 2, Defiance

ASUS Z170-P, Core I7-6700K, Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO Universal CPU Cooler, Gigabyte GF GTX970 OC 4GB GDDR5,
Crucial 16GB (2x8) 2133MHz DDR4,  Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5" SATA3 SSD, Western Digital Black 1 TB, ASUS DVD Burner, ASUS 27" Monitor, Fractal Design Define R5 Mid-Tower Case Black, Thermaltake ToughPower Gold 750 Watt Power Supply, Win 10 64Bit

Cpt_Obvious

Cpt_Obvious
  • Backer
  • 3 posts

KAHA is here - I spoke to him a few times. I've also let TWS and Mac know about the project. By proxy most of the European and German Descenters know about this project too, but the problem for Germans and other Euros is they don't use credit cards and can't directly back the KS.

I've heard this many times. There are a lot of people who want to back the game, but they don't have a credit card or would like to use paypal. 

Drakona

Drakona
  • Advisory Board
  • 322 posts
  • United States
x2
x2

Where are all the Descenters?

Scared off by the promise of 8 ships, tech trees, and microtransactions. Weren't you almost? I certainly was. ;) They've seen a lot of much less ambitious attempts fail.

The message is better for them now, but the ones we've lost already, we may have just plain . . . lost, until we can show them a demo that'll change their minds. I think we'll get them as pilots eventually, but mostly not as KS backers.

Fyrebat

Fyrebat
  • 7 posts

Scared off by the promise of 8 ships, tech trees, and microtransactions. Weren't you almost? I certainly was. ;) They've seen a lot of much less ambitious attempts fail.

The message is better for them now, but the ones we've lost already, we may have just plain . . . lost, until we can show them a demo that'll change their minds. I think we'll get them as pilots eventually, but mostly not as KS backers.

Just some feedback from me personally- I'm a big descent fan, own/beat all the games. I love the idea of the relaunch, the multiple ships/ tech trees etc, I think this game has the potential for great success. I haven't backed because I'm simply not an 'investor' type.(except for Star Citizen, but reasons omitted for brevity) I don't want to save a few bucks by purchasing the game early, I'd rather pay full price on release. I don't know how many other people have the same mindset as me, but if it helps I just want to throw it out there that Kickstarter success may not be a 1:1 translation to post release success

Anyway, I'm watching the project and hoping for the best. If DS releases a great finished product, I'll buy full retail!

starFriend123

starFriend123
  • Backer
  • 25 posts
  • Germany

If you love this idea, why not back it with at least $5? That way you will still have to buy it at release but give the game a better chance at reaching release. ;) And you can pay the full price right now. Nobody hinders you to pay $50 now instead of later. You will just get more along the way.

As for the Europeans: It's true that many don't have credit cards, even though it is possible with most banks to order some (otherwise I couldn't have backed at this stage). But I guess there are many Descent fans in the US as well, who DO have a credit card and not yet backed. The publicity has been good for Descent Underground - better even than for Star Citizen. But if you don't monitor the gaming websites regularly, you will miss on this game: I found Star Citizen only by accident in February 2013 on Youtube. This pool of potential backers will not be reached until the game has reached a critical mass of social awareness, so that they can find it by accident while doing something completely unrelated.

Let's just hope this KS succeeds and we get the chance to reach all the people who don't have a credit card, haven't heard of it, etc.

descent-backernumber.png

dunkelza

dunkelza
  • Community ManagerCM
  • 2,902 posts
  • United States

The publicity has been good for Descent Underground - better even than for Star Citizen. But if you don't monitor the gaming websites regularly, you will miss on this game: I found Star Citizen only by accident in February 2013 on Youtube. This pool of potential backers will not be reached until the game has reached a critical mass of social awareness, so that they can find it by accident while doing something completely unrelated.

I know the D-Team is reaching out to all of the various media sites they can find, but I think it's always helpful to have fans clamoring for more coverage.

If you can poke any gaming-related outlets you know, even just posting on forums and stuff, I'm sure it would help.

Wingman

Wingman
  • Game DeveloperDev
  • 1,973 posts
  • United States

I agree about critical mass and that seems to be somewhere around 6-10k backers, so we are close, got to keep pushing.

Doing an interview with EndGadget tomorrow.

WM

Renegade-Shank

Renegade-Shank
  • Backer
  • 928 posts
  • United States

[dev]I agree about critical mass and that seems to be somewhere around 6-10k backers, so we are close, got to keep pushing.
Doing an interview with EndGadget tomorrow.

WM
[/dev]

Looking forward to it.
Remember, no matter what community you come from outside of this one, we are all part of this community and in this together.

hurleybird

hurleybird
  • Backer
  • 30 posts

Not aware of any EndGadget, do you mean Engadget?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users