• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

SGT-Craig

SGT-Craig
  • Underground
  • 193 posts
  • United States
x12

Nothing in my video game life was more thrilling than laying satchel charges and laser mine traps from half life. I would like to suggest we have some very dirty and unique traps. In Half Life it was just so much damn fun to lay a trap of 4x satchels and lure someone to them.

The bugs that ate you were a riot to watch as well as they consumed noobs.

Not saying this would fit but man.. what a riot

dunkelza

dunkelza
  • Community ManagerCM
  • 2,730 posts
  • United States

Traps are definitely something the team is looking into.  The Warlock ship should have some awesome tricks and traps! 

Yoshimitsu

Yoshimitsu
  • Backer
  • 200 posts
  • United States
x2

Yes please. I liked what they tried to do in Descent 3 with countermeasures but I thought the ones they actually had were...useless. What I always wished I had was a portable forcefield that could be used only once to temporarily block off a tunnel or a side of a room. This could be useful either as a respite from attack or to trap your target in a chamber with you. In either case, pretty handy. To balance its utility maybe it could have a timer (like the bubble shield in Halo 3) or the actual shield generating device could be vulnerable to attack from both sides.

Actively Excited for D:U

PyroJockey

PyroJockey
  • Backer
  • 927 posts
  • United States
x2

In Forsaken they had a missile called the Gravgon. 

from the Forsaken manual

The Gravgon missile is fitted with a powerful energy MISSILE distorting warhead which enables it to alter gravity within its blast radius. Upon detonation, all free-floating matter within a set range is drawn inexorably towards the blast point.

This was similar to the Black Shark in D3 but not as powerful or destructive. It was basically a sticky-trap. When detonated it radiated a gravity sphere about the diameter of the average tunnel. This would ensnare any passer by until the effect wore off after about 5 seconds. It caused no damage but 5 seconds is a long time to be held stationary in this type of game.

P.S. The bugs in the video remind me of the Bouncing Bettys in D3.

There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish

noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow stuff up.
Posted Image

[font=arial]Note: Everything I post is as a fan of Descent: Underground except for off-color statements - which will be written in PyroJockey Plum[/font][font=arial].[/font]

SGT-Craig

SGT-Craig
  • Underground
  • 193 posts
  • United States
x12

Heres my wish list for a trap laying ship. Honestly I should be that ship that the enemy team LOVES to kill.

Wish List (and im using other games weapons for this)

1. Something like Half Life's satchel charges. You plant them and then remote detonate them. It would be really neat also if you planted them on say a "roof" and blew down a huge chunk of rock to crush a ship.

2. Laser trip mines. Again, half life one. They would put out a light blue or green laser that if you went over it made them explode. Shooting them would blow them up of course.

3. I loved the remote missile from Unreal. So in my head I can see the scout ship giving me intel and im flying my remote missile from a 1st person view into an enemy ship. Of course it would have a very slow rate of time to avoid being mega annoying and when firing im 100% vulnerable.

4. mini mines. I want to be running from an enemy and hit a button and my ship just throws out hundreds of mini mines. It would basically be a cloud of them, it would take a huge amount to kill the enemy player but it might discourage an beat up assault ship from chasing you.

PyroJockey

PyroJockey
  • Backer
  • 927 posts
  • United States
x2

1. Something like Half Life's satchel charges. You plant them and then remote detonate them. It would be really neat also if you planted them on say a "roof" and blew down a huge chunk of rock to crush a ship.

While I do like the idea of the satchel charge (I've used them in other games as well), keep in mind this is Descent. There is no "down" or "roof" or gravity to cause crushing.

Granted there were exceptions to this in Descent 3, probably one of the reasons most players prefer D1 and D2 which are the behaviors D:U is looking toward emulating.

Posted Image

[font=arial]Note: Everything I post is as a fan of Descent: Underground except for off-color statements - which will be written in PyroJockey Plum[/font][font=arial].[/font]

Yoshimitsu

Yoshimitsu
  • Backer
  • 200 posts
  • United States
x2

I do like the idea of the support ship having better uses for guided missiles :) .

Actively Excited for D:U

SGT-Craig

SGT-Craig
  • Underground
  • 193 posts
  • United States
x12

well, you could always have a map w/ gravity via a local planet or what ever excuse you want. The point is what is fun.

dunkelza

dunkelza
  • Community ManagerCM
  • 2,730 posts
  • United States

Congrats on the MVP!

SGT-Craig

SGT-Craig
  • Underground
  • 193 posts
  • United States
x12

Thanks Dunkelza!

Tsunamisan

Tsunamisan
  • Backer
  • 1 posts
  • United States

I guess this falls under traps  kinda  sso i will post it here  but i was wandering what about mines.  Like  stasis (slowes  ships that  are  within range when it detonates)  EMP  mines,  Sleeper missiles (launch at a wall an they wait until a enemy get in range an then streak towards the targets  projected location.  Semi guided.  Wouldnt want them being a  auto hit.  Chaff  and flares   woul be  good  counter to thes also if the player loaded them.)

Swingarm1032

Swingarm1032
  • Backer
  • 309 posts
  • United States
x3

I have on version 1199 of D:U found that the bots in Vs. Bots mode will from time to time will crash into well placed laser grids...

This happens most frequently in the fuel center corridors

For instance if you have a bot behind you, dropping a laser grid and running away would cause the bot to chase you, ignoring the laser grid you just placed   :>

My Claws must need sharpening...

defcon_x

defcon_x
  • Underground
  • 1,450 posts
  • United States
x12
x4

Sleeper missiles (launch at a wall an they wait until a enemy get in range an then streak towards the targets  projected location​

Tsunamisan. This.

This is a brilliant weapon. It's so sneaky and so evil and interesting, I am surprised it has never been implemented in a Descent game before. I imagine this doesn't have to be a missile, it could be a sort of "surface mine". Like a proximity mine only more likely to catch people off guard because you don't fly into it. Its design is to blindside you as you pass it. There would have to be some kind of blinking red light on it to make it obvious it is there or it would be way too OP. It might also be best to force a time limit before it beeps and explodes or the walls might too quickly become littered with evil red beads making halls unusable. They would be so hidden on bumpy rock areas, if not invisible, so the programming on them would have to be play tested quite a bit to prevent them becoming too invisible or buggily covered by polygons.

Just thinking about having to watch walls more carefully lest that wall explodes on you as you pass ... is terrifying. A typical strategy of passing through a hallway might become to blast walls more often (even if just peppering the place with spreadfire) to set off any hidden surface mines. It would also give extra special abilities more potential. For example, the Warlock might have a spherical EMP pulse that is effective at making ships invisible to proximity and surface mines in the area for 10 seconds, or maybe some other interaction.

It would be funny if the only way to place them was to face a wall/floor/ceiling/surface and be looking at it. So if you come across a ship going along with its nose to the wall you might wonder. :)

LINUX OS: MINT 17.X • DESKTOP: CINNAMON 2.X • CPU: i3 • RAM: 8GB • GPU: GTX960 • Thrustmaster T16000M • HELP DE-BUG D:U!

PyroJockey

PyroJockey
  • Backer
  • 927 posts
  • United States
x2

Tsunamisan. This.

This is a brilliant weapon. It's so sneaky and so evil and interesting, I am surprised it has never been implemented in a Descent game before.

Seeker mines in Descent 3.

From the Descent 3 manual:

Seeker Mine:

Silent but violent, the Seeker Mine waits patiently
for anyone to come in range of its sensors before
sneaking in for the kill. Nothing beats these little
guys when it comes to setting up a trap for the
enemy. They say you never hear the one that gets you.

Posted Image

defcon_x

defcon_x
  • Underground
  • 1,450 posts
  • United States
x12
x4

I think I remember those. That's pretty close, isn't it? It's not flat to the wall - it's more like another anti-grav 3D space weapon - but definitely in the vein.

LINUX OS: MINT 17.X • DESKTOP: CINNAMON 2.X • CPU: i3 • RAM: 8GB • GPU: GTX960 • Thrustmaster T16000M • HELP DE-BUG D:U!

geort45

geort45
  • Backer
  • 2 posts
  • Mexico

I was thinking on a twist on the trap, instead of dropping the trap you could trap another ship yourself with some kind of short-distance hook or high power electromagnet (which drains energy fast so as not to overuse it), you would have to sneak into someone or be able to take the risk and outmaneuver them and pull them towards you to blast the hell out of them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users