Thank you Alpha backers for your support!
We need your help to stress-test our servers...
...so we are happy to welcome backers with Alpha access in their rewards to help playtest our Pre-Alpha!
We are opening up the "Alpha" test environment running Pre-Alpha build 902a.
This test is open to backers whose package rewards include Proving Grounds or Alpha access and to members of The Underground.
This test is public and we are happy if people want to share on Twitch and YouTube. In the event that something is running poorly or breaks while you're streaming, please let your viewers know that this is an early Pre-Alpha that you are playtesting. It is NOT the final retail release.
If you do plan to stream, you may need to run your streaming software as an administrator.
We are planning to conduct intense tests of our server infrastructure on Friday, Oct. 9 right after Wingman's Hangar (about 11:30am CDT) and again at 5:00pm CDT (UTC-5). Watch our Twitter and Facebook page for announcements of other tests. Please be aware that there is a higher likelihood of server-related issues during these tests as we are trying to see if the game breaks our server.
We've now broken out the game manual into a series of forum posts:
If you have any questions about downloading or playing the game, that's the best place to check for a quick answer.
We recommend voice chatting on the DS Official Unofficial Teamspeak server when playing or looking to set up a game.
Please report bugs in our bug reporting forum with as much specificity as possible. If you can provide screenshots, that's awesome!
We've also compiled a list of known issues so that you can skip those when reporting bugs.
- Mouse sensitivity has been tweaked to work better with high DPI mice- please readjust your Sensitivity Factor. (Player Feedback)
- The "Free Flight" button now launches Valor in single-user mode to allow for safe control tweaking. (Player Feedback)
- Laser shot speeds have been increased to improve accuracy. (Player Feedback)
- Shield and Energy powerups now spawn less frequently. (Player Feedback)
- Weapon upgrades now increase in number as players join a match. (Player Feedback)
- "Black Screen of Death" should now be dead. (Player Feedback)
- Matchmaking queue now reports your status. (Player Feedback)
- Sound settings are now in the options menu. (Player Feedback)
- Return to Drone Bay should be working again after Drillsey broke it.
- Mining Lasers should open doors again.
- Mobius Capture-the-Core is in the rotation.
- Respawn screen should no longer break the options menu.
- Graphics options should now save.
- Vulcan tracers are now showing up properly.
- Options menus should now be the same in all locations.
- Mining laser no longer continues playing sound/using energy when you release the tool use control.
- Minor tweaks and bug fixes.
- Client-side weapon prediction is not implemented:
- Weapon shots occasionally still hang in mid-air or are invisible during heavy lag.
- Weapons fire is sometimes delayed in firing.
- Controller customization issues are being experienced by some users.
- Do not remove all of the control mappings in a category!
- Control customization needs a "reset to defaults" button.
- Mouse controls were imparting drift on high-DPI mice.
- Installer & Launcher need to be run as administrator on Windows.
- Streaming software may need to run as administrator to capture video.
- Mac & Linux installer is not always setting correct POSIX permissions on the descent executable, requiring a "chmod -x" shell operation to correct.
- Most menus do not work correctly in VR or on gamepad controllers.
- Players who die right before the end of the match may not see the score screen and may return to the start screen instead.
- Players who die while in the <ESC> menu may not be able to reopen that menu until the game is restarted.
- Using "Free Flight" mode to tweak control settings can help to avoid this until it's fixed.
- Occasionally, in-game scoreboard can get stuck behind the HUD.
- Sometimes the respawn screen disappears without spawning a new ship.
- Pressing <Y>, <U>, <I>, or <Shift+X> on the keyboard will still spawn a ship if this happens.
- Players can sometimes still control a ship in the background at the end of a match.
- Clicking "Drone Bay" on the end of match Score screen can return the player to the level for a brief time.
- Laser levels 1 & 4 have art, levels 2 & 3 do not have their own bolts yet.
- Control customization screen can get stuck if player dies while changing settings.
- Some sounds are audible everywhere and need attenuation.
- Shield and hull hit sounds and visual effects are not clear enough in many cases.
- Some placeholder sound effects were accidentally replaced with a different set of placeholder sounds.
- Matchmaking sometimes puts players into matches that are about to end.
- Matchmaking sometimes creates lopsided matches.
- Teams can become unbalanced if a player drops and rejoins the game before their player state is purged.
- Team scores are negatively impacted by player departure.
- Selecting your ship on death in VR requires a bit of work due to the way 3D widgets work - look directly at the ship you intend to fly next and click with the mouse, without moving the mouse itself
- The axis configuration menu is somewhat clunky and uses too-technical language (power changes the curvature of the sensitivity curve, factor scales the sensitivity curve)
- The mid-game and endgame scoreboards do not have separate sections for teams.
- All servers are currently in the U.S., other locations are planned.
- There may be a wait for matches at times. While our alpha player base is much larger than the proving grounds, player play times can vary. Matches won't begin until they have at least 2 players, and will not add players if there are 8 players.
- Anisotrophic Filtering sometimes reverts to 16X.
Now get in the mines!