Colosseum takes shape, destructibles begin to explode, and the Typhoon spins up a storm in 1886!
Welcome to our next Proving Grounds test for members of the Underground and backers with "Proving Grounds" rewards!
We've done a beautification pass on Colosseum, one of the first three user-submitted maps and we need your help to make sure it's ready for prime time! We've created a whole new section called Contributors' Corner for you to post your constructive feedback. Any member of our forums can read Contributors' Corner, but only Proving Grounds playtesters will be able to post.
If you want to playtest on the Proving Grounds servers, you can join The Underground here.
We've also published a new version of the Map Kit with some fixes and a great set of placeholders based on Skeletonbane's awesome work! We'll soon be selecting a few more maps to bring into the proving grounds so hurry up and submit yours today!
NEW STUFF & Patch Notes (1886)
- COLOSSEUM - An awesomely huge map (based on Goznik's great design) is almost ready for the Production environment!
- The Typhoon's SPIN ATTACK is way more scary!
- DESTRUCTIBLE terrain elements have made their first appearance in the form of certain grates.
- Small changes and bug stomping.
- Combat, Graphics, and Sound
- The explosion particle effect for destructibles is on vacation in Tahiti. It's a magical place.
- An experimental koan induction field generator is causing exploding destructibles to only make a sound once someone is around to hear it.
- The Drone Bay has too many lights and so some people are getting poor performance while admiring their ships.
- Objects near the corners of the screen can experience "barrel distortion" because of the way that 3D objects are mapped to a 2D screen. Using the Field-of-View slider can help with this in some cases.
- Our guard bots in "Vs. Bots" mode did not pass the Drone Efficiency Recruitment Protocol and need more education.
- Collisions are more sticky than they are supposed to be, sometimes causing ships to catch on each other.
- Launching, Installing, and Platforms
- Installer & Launcher need to be run as administrator on Windows.
- Streaming software may need to run as administrator to capture video.
- Standalone (non-Steam) launcher not correctly self-updating on Linux and Macintosh.
- Uninstalling & reinstalling the launcher may not properly clear settings.
- Steam Overlay doesn't work on Mac and Linux.
- The game is not launching correctly on Steamboxes.
- Part of the ship selection panel in the Drone Bay can get cut off on 4:3 displays. Selecting a 16:9 resolution can sometimes help with this.
- The axis configuration menu is somewhat clunky and uses too-technical language (power changes the curvature of the sensitivity curve, factor scales the sensitivity curve)
- Linux appears to not be detecting joysticks in many cases.
- Many joysticks do not yet have a default mapping and need to be configured manually.
- Controller customization issues are still being experienced by some users. Control customization needs a "reset to defaults" button.
- If you are having mouse issues, please make sure that your Mouse axes and sensitivities are NOT inverted and reversed at the same time.
- Multiple joysticks of the same model cannot currently be distinguished by the game.
- Private matches can launch even if some players are marked "not ready".
- Auto-start timer in the match lobby doesn't yet display. Keep an eye on the status shown above for an indication as to how soon your match will start.
- There may be a wait for matches at times. While our all-backer player base is much larger than the beta pool, player play times can vary. Matches won't begin until they have at least 2 players, and will not add players if there are 8 players.
- In a match lobby, gamepad users sometimes cannot exit the lobby using the gamepad.
- All servers are currently in the U.S., other locations are planned.
If you need to get the installer, CLICK HERE for instructions.
This test is public and we are happy if people want to share on Twitch and YouTube. In the event that something is running poorly or breaks while you're streaming, please let your viewers know that this is an Early Access build that you are playtesting. It is NOT the final retail release.
If you do plan to stream, you may need to run your streaming software as an administrator.
Our game manual is a series of forum posts:
If you have any questions about downloading or playing the game, that's the best place to check for a quick answer.
Please report bugs in our bug reporting forum with as much specificity as possible. If you can provide screenshots, that's awesome!
We've also compiled a list of known issues so that you can skip those when reporting bugs.