Week In Review (7/24/2015)
This week has flown by -- probably due to all the playtesting and fun we've had in-game.
We now have:
- A zone that is almost complete. We have just a bit of tweaking to the lighting and some LOD issues to resolve.
- 3 of our ships in-game, flying around, shooting, and dying . Each ship flies a bit differently due to the various roles they play in the game.
- Just one game mode for now (kills and deaths), but many more on the way.
- All the UI is hooked up and fully functional
- Multiplayer matches. Our server is up and running and all you have to do now is join the match to play and test. When one match ends another spins up immediately.
- SFX in-game, hooked-up, and working properly.
- Doors! Need I say more?
- I mentioned last week that Jason had a nightly build working and that continuous builds were on the way. Well, continuous builds are here. This is the kind of thing that makes game development easier. If you always have a fresh build to test, you find and stomp bugs faster and identify enhancements sooner. He also was able to shrink the build down to under 1 gig (from 6!)
We will provide the Advisory Board (you know who you are ) with the game very soon. They'll be able to join us during our playtesting soon. I have no doubt we'll get some great feedback from them.
Next up will be a build for the Proving Grounds. We'll give you guys a heads up when that happens. If you don't have access to the Proving Grounds you can get it by joining "The Underground".
Ok, now for the SnapShot!!
- Jason has VR working nicely! I flew around for quite a while. It gives you a true 3D feel!
- Some great footage of all of us playtesting. At one point, we had 7 playing. No frame-rate issues and loads of fun!
- You can also see, we need to tone down the missile smoke -- just a tad
- Homing missile testing! In that shot, yours truly, tests the accuracy of the homing missiles.
Did you see Wingman's Hangar this week. No! Unpossible!
I know you guys love Design Underground with Rob Irving (featuring Rob Irving). So I figured I'll give you another opportunity to check it out from earlier this week. Rob and Josh fly through the map -- together.
That's it for me, for now. I'm off to play... DESCENT UNDERGROUND!