Capturing Game Videos
We've had some people ask about capturing Descent: Underground videos to share on YouTube, Facebook, etc.
This is really simple using free software called OBS, which you can get at OBSProject.com. Just download the "Studio" version (not "Classic") for your operating system. Just install using the default settings.
In case I was going too fast or you don't like tutorial videos, here are the steps:
- Launch OBS Studio with administrator permissions if you're on Windows.
- Launch Descent: Underground - you might need to flip windows back and forth from this point, especially on a single monitor computer.
- Under "Scenes" click the + button and name the new scene whatever you want.
- Under "Sources" click the + button and add a "Game Capture".
- Try using "Capture any fullscreen application", but if that doesn't work, you can try the other options like "Capture specific window".
- You may also have to click on the game (make it active) to see the game in your window.
- If you need to, right click the game image in OBS, click "Transform", then "Fit to screen".
- Click "Start Recording".
- Play a match in Descent: Underground.
- Click "Stop Recording".
- Your video will be in the default directory (check Settings > Output > Recording for this location).
- Edit the video if you want using Movie Maker, iMovie, or another application if you want.
- Upload it to YouTube, Facebook, etc. (Twitter only allows very short videos up to 720p)
Obviously, there's a lot more you can do. You can add a camera inset if you have a webcam. You can stream to Twitch, YouTube, and so forth. You can add titles and cool transitions while editing. Here are a few resources in case you want to go deeper into making videos:
- OBS Help Files: http://jp9000.github.io/OBS/
- OBS Forums: https://obsproject.com/forum/
- VMix (What Viewmaster uses): http://www.vmix.com/
- XSplit (Another recording software): https://www.xsplit.com/
- FRAPS (Another recording software): http://www.fraps.com/
- How to stream on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/broadcast
- How to stream on YouTube: https://support.goog...r/2474026?hl=en
Thank you so much for being awesome Descent: Underground supporters!
We look forward to seeing your videos!
Remember, we are running a contest over the next few weeks for highlight videos (10-45 seconds) shared on Facebook, so show us your coolest, funniest, weirdest, or most awesome D:U moments by tagging @Descent > Descent: Underground in your Facebook post!