Launcher Update, Bugs, & Upcoming Priorities
- We updated the launcher to work better with non-Latin characters to fix some crashes.
- We are working hard on a new patch, but we're wrestling with a bug in Unreal Engine 4.12.2.
- VR is only accepting controls from XInput gamepads at this time because of an earlier engine bug. UE 4.12.2 was expected to fix this bug, but it introduced other major bugs.
- Next patch will include online co-op play in Vs. Bots mode, two ships, and more!
- We sat down today with our Advisory Board to help us prioritize a massive list of user-requested quality-of-life improvements.
We had some users who reported launcher problems. One of our dedicated players, Hunter, helped trace it to using Windows in a language that uses non-Latin characters, such as Korean or Russian. Our awesome backend guy Elfindreams dug into it and:
- When in standalone mode on a non-EU, non-US version of Windows or with the code page set to a non-EU, non-US language fixes an infinite loop on launcher start and potential problems with self-update.
New Patch & Engine Bug
We've had our noses to the proverbial grindstone for the last month or so working on a new patch for everyone (Production). It includes a way to play Vs. Bots mode with other people online, two new ships- Warlock & Goliath, and a host of other improvements.
Another big area we've been working on for you is fixing a number of significant VR issues that cropped up in Unreal Engine 4.11. That's why a lot of VR users have been experiencing crashes and controller problems. Epic (makers of Unreal Engine) released a major engine update that included fixes for some of those VR issues, so we upgraded to UE 4.12.2.
Unfortunately, that broke a number of key features of the game- like shooting lasers! Our programmers have been battling this bug day-and-night and we hope to have a new build out to all of you soon.
We sat down with our Advisory Board today to go through a gigantic list of user-requested improvements. Here's the list of our top ten priorities for our next quality-of-life patch:
- Game, general - Improve “bullet hell” gameplay. More dodging, weapons "fill space".
- Weapons - Rebalance
- Weapons – Vulcan: Improve
- UI - Control Configuration: Improve
- Game modes - Game types need to have single victory based upon what it is named, and not points. Capture the core needs to be about the core being captured. Anarchy about kills.
- Ships - IFF indicator & Sound/Notification for shooting friendlies
- Game, general - Framerate limiter when in a menu
- Loading Screens - We should put a splash screen up while the main menu (and maps) is loading. It can take a long time with just a black screen
- Launcher - Launcher needs to look more like our website in style and have a voice or music playing
- UI - Menus: Improve consistency - example: back button changes location and label on different screens, making harder to use.
- UI - Make overall UI design pattern and guide, apply everywhere.
- UI – Cockpit: Option for all users
Thank you so much for your support and participation!
P.S. - If you haven't yet given us a thumbs-up review on Steam, we appreciate them very much! If you feel like you can't yet give us a recommendation, please let us know why on the discussion forums so we can earn your positive review.